MS261 VS MS261 C-M Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on Jon's 026 ,are you able to get a filter on it and use the stock filter cover with an 044 carb ?

But it runs better with no filter.
will an 044 stud mount there with filter base ,maybe trimmed ,with an 044 hd filter cover and filter look goofy ? i'm just thinking out loud ,seems like it wouldn't look any worse than those foam ones they sell at the saw shop

will an 044 stud mount there with filter base ,maybe trimmed ,with an 044 hd filter cover and filter look goofy ? i'm just thinking out loud ,seems like it wouldn't look any worse than those foam ones they sell at the saw shop

I doubt it......but anything is possible. We're gonna make a V stack for it and just play with it at GTGs.

I doubt it......but anything is possible. We're gonna make a V stack for it and just play with it at GTGs.

And it'll run for years just doing that with it...
Besides, 026's like a little sawdust in their diet...
Sometimes they'll even burp out a burning ember or two...

After setting squish to .020

[video=youtube;meHquPQvSoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meHquPQvSoQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You're not stopping to grill out are you? :msp_tongue:

You're not stopping to grill out are you? :msp_tongue:

I'm done for today.

So far we've made about an 18.5% increase in cut speed in this large wood without any port work.

In smaller wood, I bet it would be more. :cheers:

does it take long for the fuel system to "re learn" after each mod ?

Here we go guys. This may be a long drawn out thread....so be patient please. I've got these three saws here to use for as test subjects.

We have a regular MS261 that just came out of the box. We also have a new MS261 C-M The was sent here by one of our members to test on, and we have my own MS261 C-M that will remain stock throughout all this so we will have it to compare to in all tests.

Many of you guys have watched Brad and myself go round and round in one conflict after another over the last year or so. I must admit that I could have done a much better job at keeping that from happening. I'm tired of the bickering. Brad and I have both agreed to let all that crap go.

I've invited Brad to be a part of this thread, and look forward to his input and ideas. Brad was the guy that devised gutting the strato ports from the first 261 when it didn't seem to respond well to normal porting....so it only seems fitting that he should be a part of anything we do on this new model.

I also would like to invite everyone to ask any questions and add any input to this thread as you see fit. This site is here for us all the share our thoughts and experiences. I only ask that any derogatory comments be checked at the door. We don't need that here.

Hey Randy any chance that 261 is for a guy in Alaska? Love the thread. Keep up the great work and looking forward to seeing how it compares in the end.

Not to start a whizzin match, but do you intend to run it beside a 550 auto tune that has been worked over? I assume they are comparable CC's with both having auto tuning carbs.

My o My - I've been away for too long!

Didn't even know the 261c was in a line up...

Keeping up the good work I see Randy!

Rich

does it take long for the fuel system to "re learn" after each mod ?

It takes longer on the Huskys I think. Stihl has their act together on the M-Tronic system.

Not to start a whizzin match, but do you intend to run it beside a 550 auto tune that has been worked over? I assume they are comparable CC's with both having auto tuning carbs.

I'll be running a modded 550XP in this same wood. I look for the 261 C-M to best it in this size wood though. The 550XP was made for limbing and topping. It's a higher rpm type saw that doesn't have the torque that the Stihl has.

That's a 37.8% increase.

That's a pretty awesome increase just changing cutter geometry.
Not asking to give away all Jon's secrets, but was that Square chisel running a standard
raker height of .025" or so?
I'm experimenting a little turning my spare .325" round to square.

very nice thread guys!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back