MS270 wont stay running....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaTed

Addict
Reaction score
Ok I know the MS270 is not a super duper saw, but the price was right...free. It is about 10 years old, rode really hard and put away really dirty in a wet spot!

So I was running my recent purchase of the 046 and all was well until I realized I did not tighten the bolts for the muffler when I check the cylinder the other day...oops. So has to set it aside for a bit to cool down. I had the 270 in the garage sitting there until I could get it cleaned and running, no better time then the moment because I was trying to clean a tree up a little bit. So new premix fuel, bar oil....pull pull pull fired up....ran pretty well for about ten minutes.....longer then I expected. During that time I realized I should have really just left it, couldn't tighten the chain because there was too much crap built up, and it started to cut out when it got hot.

So I tore it down, check the cylinder since I had all the covers off and it was good, had some deposits on the top of it though, cleaned and de-grimed it to a good point for now. Tired to run it again and same start out good, and it'd just quit. I gave up knowing I wasn't going to get it to run and there was still branches to to trim...so back to the 046 and got it done.

So any ideas, I can tell you that the saw has been sitting for at least 8 years, empty, no fuel. Filter is bad needs to be changed. So I am wondering is it a tune issue or possibly multiple issues? Thanks for you help!

And an FYI for those that helped answer the 046 questions, The saw seems to run out strong, it has a small bar oil leaks it seems when it sits though, but that'll be another thread question.

Latest posts

Back