Ms400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan25

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wanting to get a 400 and use a 25" bar on it but have read mixed things about whether it can oil the 25 inch bar or not and if not should i throw a 461 oiler on such as this one?
: 1128-640-3250

You will probably get away with it. I'd try it. Run good oil tho...
Down there where there is actually air, you should have decent power with the thing.
Up here, I would only really run a 20" bar on a 400cm

Down there where there is actually air, you should have decent power with the thing.
yea my grandfather used to live in craig , colorado and it was always super dry out there

I've got a 400, I run both a 25 and 28 on it. It's fine with the 25, but I feel like the 28 is at the upper limits of the oiler.

Power is not an issue with this saw. After break-in and a dual port cover, it honestly feels stronger than a stock 440. I'm going to upgrade the oiler at some point, and will likely run a 32 on a "as needed" basis.

No high elevation cutting with mine yet, it's all been at 4k' or lower.

I've got a 400, I run both a 25 and 28 on it. It's fine with the 25, but I feel like the 28 is at the upper limits of the oiler.

Power is not an issue with this saw. After break-in and a dual port cover, it honestly feels stronger than a stock 440. I'm going to upgrade the oiler at some point, and will likely run a 32 on a "as needed" basis.

No high elevation cutting with mine yet, it's all been at 4k' or lower.

How long (#tanks of gas) til you felt that the saw was broken in?

I'm now cutting winter fallen on my neighbors property. The 400 is fast becoming the saw. A few days ago I finished cleaning up fallen on my property and decided to put more angle on the new Sqr Ground chain. The top edge of the chain was a bit shallow, a cross between an RS chain and a ripping chain. I put a 30 degree on the top plate and now the saw and chain are cutting like I had expected. Saw is smooth and powerful, and bucked up a 10" pine next door in little time. The 400 is starting to impress me. 👍

I'm likely into my 3rd tank of gas. Still improving?

M-tronic will take care of the alitude difference.

No it won't... you will have the correct mixture, but with 20 less atmospheric pressure, you will be DOWN 20% on power.
Now, if you can figure out a way to supercharge a 2 cycle...
I did some research and you are correct. I stand corrected.

Doesn’t altitude have the same effect on all engines, manual carb or autotune/mtronic? I’d rather have the right mixture with less power than the wrong mixture with less power.

Best thing for high altitude, is a bump in compression. I'm up in the mountains and I've milled the cylinders on about 1/2 my saws. I'm running the 400 mostly stock right now(except for the exhaust,) but I'll tear into it eventually.

Back