ms440 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a heap of great info and tips in this thread.
Good work guys.

Hope the OP gets his saw built and I sure he has already learnt a heap from everyone's input so far.

Thumbs up yee har !! :D

That was tough, but I finally got it! Now on to the clutch side. Any suggestions or special advice for that side?View attachment 300616

I'm actually going to wait to hear back from you guys on getting past the clutch assembly in order to change that seal. I don't want to damage anything this far in.

Last edited:
That was tough, but I finally got it! Now on to the clutch side. Any suggestions or special advice for that side?View attachment 300616

I'm actually going to wait to hear back from you guys on getting past the clutch assembly in order to change that seal. I don't want to damage anything this far in.

What do you have to remove the clutch with? An impact gun works the best.

Impact+ piston stop= broken parts
Impact no piston stop=:msp_thumbup:

I'm as green as they come, I really need you to break it down for me. If I use a impact wrench, what will I use to keep the piston from turning. I have a plastic piston stop, however, I am so green I do not know how to use it.

Impact+ piston stop= broken parts
Impact no piston stop=:msp_thumbup:

The impact should get the clutch off without a piston stop. It's left handed threads so just be careful. If you use a piston stop with an impact you'll probably break the crank.

to make sure I am hearing you loud and clear, let the piston crank freely while I use the impact wrench?

The impact should get the clutch off without a piston stop. It's left handed threads so just be careful. If you use a piston stop with an impact you'll probably break the crank.

Leave the sparkplug in and just let it spin freely. I hold the flywheel with my left hand but I really don`t recommend it unless you have plenty of experience doing this impact stuff, you could easily jamb your fingers badly.

I think that's where the disconnect is arising, I don't have the cylinder or piston installed. I was trying to take both oil seals off, rinse with 2 stroke mix, install new oil seals, install piston and cylinder. I posted a pic a few posts back that display the state of the saw

Leave the sparkplug in and just let it spin freely. I hold the flywheel with my left hand but I really don`t recommend it unless you have plenty of experience doing this impact stuff, you could easily jamb your fingers badly.

I think that's where the disconnect is arising, I don't have the cylinder or piston installed. I was trying to take both oil seals off, rinse with 2 stroke mix, install new oil seals, install piston and cylinder. I posted a pic a few posts back that display the state of the saw

Many of us place one of the orange handled Stihl tuning screwdrivers down in the crankcase to jamb the big end of the crank/connecting rod and then just use a breaker bar and socket to remove the clutch at this stage of a rebuild.

Awesome, I will grab a breaker and socket out of the truck and get started. Thank you so much for clearing that up. Hopefully I will be posting pics later updating everyone on my progress.

Yeah,.guess that would work but I think you will need that breaker bar and socket, that clutch is on there really tight.

wow, amazing how fast things progress with good direction. It looks like my next step is to dig this seal out, flush with 2 stroke mix, and install new seal. exciting stuff, hopefully I can get the new seals in damage free.

btw, i appreciate all of the help. if you tell me how to give rep, i'd be glad to do whatever i can to repay you.View attachment 300630

:popcorn::msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back