MS440s in Stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob J.
I find it odd that dealers can refuse to sell what Stihl is marketing.

In this case it isn't the dealers, but rather the distributor, which acts in concert with the corporate office in Virginia Beach. Stihl Northwest has decided against carrying certain products as well in the past. The decisions are made both by the lead Sales Rep and the Sales and Marketing staff at head quarters.

The individual dealers though, don't have to stock everything in the catalog. They do have the ability to order anything though.

blsnelling
In this case it isn't the dealers, but rather the distributor, which acts in concert with the corporate office in Virginia Beach. Stihl Northwest has decided against carrying certain products as well in the past. The decisions are made both by the lead Sales Rep and the Sales and Marketing staff at head quarters.

The individual dealers though, don't have to stock everything in the catalog. They do have the ability to order anything though.

I guess I should have worded that better. In this case, the dealers supplied by that distributor won't be able to even order the 440.

Jacob J.
I guess I should have worded that better. In this case, the dealers supplied by that distributor won't be able to even order the 440.

Actually, they should be able to. The distributor network in Stihl's system is a fairly ironclad, but if a dealer needs a certain part or a certain model, Stihl will work with that dealer to get them what they need.

A good example is years ago, I needed to order a new 090 clutch. Stihl Northwest hadn't had one for years and wouldn't order one themselves. So they sent our request to the national office and the national office bounced that order back to Intermountain Stihl, and they filled the order. One time also, we were trying to get an Arctic 660. Though available in Canada, they're not generally carried by any of the U.S. distributors. Again, we went through the national office and they got us one. It was actually shipped from Stihl Canada to Stihl Northwest and then on to us.

blsnelling
Actually, they should be able to. The distributor network in Stihl's system is a fairly ironclad, but if a dealer needs a certain part or a certain model, Stihl will work with that dealer to get them what they need.

A good example is years ago, I needed to order a new 090 clutch. Stihl Northwest hadn't had one for years and wouldn't order one themselves. So they sent our request to the national office and the national office bounced that order back to Intermountain Stihl, and they filled the order. One time also, we were trying to get an Arctic 660. Though available in Canada, they're not generally carried by any of the U.S. distributors. Again, we went through the national office and they got us one. It was actually shipped from Stihl Canada to Stihl Northwest and then on to us.

Interesting. So at least anyone in the NE area isn't left out should they want one. I've yet to see if my dealer knows about them yet.

BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interesting. So at least anyone in the NE area isn't left out should they want one. I've yet to see if my dealer knows about them yet.

We can only order part numbers that are currently in the parts ordering system. If it's a valid part/ item number they'll back order it from another distributor, but the MS440 is not in the parts ordering system, so we're SOL.

lambs

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
How much does the 440 weigh vs. 441?

Somehow I'm thinking the 044 weighted about 13 lbs, powerhead only. I'm thinking the 441 is a shade over 14 lbs. What about the 440?

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Found a place that has the 440 for about 800 with a 20 inch flush handel PM me if you want to know. It sucks i dont live around them:msp_thumbdn:

greg986547

greg986547

ArboristSite Operative
840.00 for 3/4 wrap and 32" bar at Madsens (780ish for powerhead, i think)

one really cool benefit for existing 440 owners is that the replacement carb from Stihl is now the HD15 walbro. old school fully adjustable with NO red limiter caps! Picked one up yesterday for 84.00

Correction! I was wrong.... the new 440's still have the limiter capped carbs. Some places like Madsens are just using the Walbro HD15 as a "go to" for 044 and MS 440 when a replacement is needed.

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Somehow I'm thinking the 044 weighted about 13 lbs, powerhead only. I'm thinking the 441 is a shade over 14 lbs. What about the 440?

The specs for the early 044s said 12.8 lbs (those had lower power specs as well), the true weight of the late ones and the MS440 is 13.5 lbs, as far as I know. True weight of the MS 441 most likely is about 14.8 lbs.

The specs for the early 044s said 12.8 lbs (those had lower power specs as well), the true weight of the late ones and the MS440 is 13.5 lbs, as far as I know. True weight of the MS 441 most likely is about 14.8 lbs.

The 044 tips my scale and Neal's at a tad over 14 lbs. So it seems unlikely a new 440 with new filtration would be any lighter. I like SF9's 044 a lot. It has lots of torque for stock. I can see why they were so popular. The last time I was quoted a price for a MS440NE it was $782 with full wrap, plus $25 or so for the dawgs and clutch cover upgrade.

Last edited:
greg986547

greg986547

ArboristSite Operative
I went and got one of those 440's and a DP muffler. Is there a way go get those ass ache limiter caps out of the cave their buried in?? without destroying them?

I just use a wood screw turned in enough to get a bite on the red limiter cap, line up the tab of the cap with the slot in the housing and pull it strait out...