MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are getting caught up around here and I finally tore into the 441 last night. I haven't degreed it or pulled the jug yet. Man, what a pain these are to work on! I have a pile of bolts just getting to the cylinder. This it's not a saw you're going to yank the jug in 5 minutes like most other pro saws. Anyway, here are some pics of the electronics. This is one carb I won't be messing with!

IMG7855-M.jpg

IMG7856-M.jpg

IMG7858-M.jpg

IMG7859-M.jpg

IMG7860-M.jpg

IMG7861-M.jpg

IMG7863-M.jpg

That does look way more complicated than the 576. It comes apart relatively easy. I think 5 bolts to get the whole carb assembly out.

Sorry guys but i think there is more to it that that,the only way to find out is do a port job for rpm lets say 15000 and see what happens,but i think you will be looking for a new cylinder after that.
Then what would i know i have just started playing with one.:msp_thumbsup:

Does the Wrap Handle and extra spike causing any difficulty when removing the bar and chain and/or cleaning.
Thanks..

Last edited:
It its just that simple, and quite effective. I don't have the link, but someone posted a doc from Stihl that explained how it works. It monitors RPM, then pulls a little fuel. If it speeds up, it figures it was rich and does it again. In this fashion, it constantly watches RPMs and adjusts the fuel accordingly. The result? A saw that's always tinged for max RPMs on the cut. Didn't get any better than that!

Why would it?
It appears the wrap handle goes in front of the cover to access sprocket.
I take it, it does not interfere..

Why would it?
It appears the wrap handle goes in front of the cover to access sprocket.
I take it, it does not interfere..

If you really like half wraps like I do, then you will complain about the 3/4 wrap, but in all honesty it only adds about 2-5 seconds of time to a bar removal process, it isn't a big deal. Also you can't spin the scrench around, full swing, you have to do partial turns which is slower, but like I said, minimal issue.

I don't or can't use them because we cut a lot of lower stumps and honestly I have never seen the point in them for how I cut. I've tried them and they just get in the way. When I'm running a half wrap, I have never had a sudden desire to grab the saw in that location.

I CAN see the point of them for higher stumps and larger trees, as then you can cut with the bottom of the bar and dawg it in much easier, I don't routinely cut that big of trees with bars of 36" and bigger, so it doesn't matter to me if I use the top of the bar or the bottom.

I wish Stihl sold the M-Tronics or other higher optioned saws with just a half wrap. I always have to get the full wrap and then get rid of it. I have a pile of 441 full wraps that I need to get rid of sometime.

Sam

Sam,
Thanks for the details on the wrap handle, your explanation helps alot.
I haven't seen or tried the wrap handle yet.
I do not need a wrap, but many combos of the 441 M-Tronic model come with one.
Thanks again..

Back