Ms460 vs MS461 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looked and.could find anything on it. But I'm.looking at getting either a MS460 or MS461. Are there any benefits to with either one.over the other. I want to run a 28" bar on it with a full skip chain and will eventually have one them Porter as well.

They are pretty much the same saw. The 461 has a 2 stroke engine with delayed scavenging technology, while the 460 is a true 2 stroke engine. They launched this newer 461 because of the emissions laws.

They are pretty much the same saw. The 461 has a 2 stroke engine with delayed scavenging technology, while the 460 is a true 2 stroke engine. They launched this newer 461 because of the emissions laws.
So is the 460 a.better say for.mods?

Looked and.could find anything on it. But I'm.looking at getting either a MS460 or MS461. Are there any benefits to with either one.over the other. I want to run a 28" bar on it with a full skip chain and will eventually have one them Porter as well.
If you don't know the differences, your likely not to know the difference ;).
Both will cut a lot of wood and vibrate your teeth out doing it :D.

461 isn't too bad for having rubbers, someone told me it was the layout of the saw that made it feel smoother than a 460..idk...
I like them a good bit more myself, little more grunt, same with the 372 xtorq.
Open up the muffler, loose the limited coil, loose the carb limiters, and advance the timing a little and they do much better than a 460 even with a big muffler mod.
But I'm a husky guy and I shouldn't be promoting all that lol.
A proper chain for the wood being cut makes any saw feel better than a chain setup poorly.

As far as looks goes I like the boxy look for the 460 cant speak for the running of the two I have yet to run the 461 but that will change as soon as I get this 461 put back together a buddy gave to me after he exploded the piston in it

I like them a good bit more myself, little more grunt, same with the 372 xtorq.
Open up the muffler, loose the limited coil, loose the carb limiters, and advance the timing a little and they do much better than a 460 even with a big muffler mod.
But I'm a husky guy and I shouldn't be promoting all that lol.
A proper chain for the wood being cut makes any saw feel better than a chain setup poorly.

I thought I was the only person that liked the XT better than its predecessor...I think it snorts harder with bigger bars

I think a 461 is a better looking * saw then a 460. 461 is more refined, I like the way the cylinder cover is attached, and some of other small details about a 461.

Performance wise, it's a toss up, I have both, so many parts are the same, they feel the same when using them. 461 might have a smudge more lean on torque. But a 460 ain't a dawg either.

Mine ↓

Mine ↓

461 vs 460 thread from the past....

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms460-vs-ms461.267658/

* in-case you give two poops about looks....

Latest posts

Back