MS461R Chain Tension Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak is pretty hard, your right hand cutters HAVE TO MUCH HOOK, left are not so bad. Take the file out of that contraption and read the number on the end. Does it say 13/64 or 7/32 (l know it won't) or 5/32?

There is WAY too much hook on those teeth!! Thats part of the grabbyness

The sprocket is fine. It looks like its 98% good.

i'm still leaning towards other issues besides the chain. something is not right with the tensioner ,side cover or bar.
I think that as well. Thats what I am trying to say. Even a jacked up half sharpened or bad sharpened job then chain should not get loose that often. I have cut way more than I would like to admit with a dull saw. And even sometimes push through a few more rounds than I should with a dull chain but dont have those problems. Sure its making lots of heat and chain stretches a bit but not like I have to tighten that often.

I think that as well. Thats what I am trying to say. Even a jacked up half sharpened or bad sharpened job then chain should not get loose that often. I have cut way more than I would like to admit with a dull saw. And even sometimes push through a few more rounds than I should with a dull chain but dont have those problems. Sure its making lots of heat and chain stretches a bit but not like I have to tighten that often.
glad i'm not the only one.:laugh:

i think you should take the saw back to the dealer and see what they say. all the pics look like they should except it rakers do look a little low but i'll let the experts chime in.;) had the same loosening chain problem with my old 023 and thought the side cover was worn.put a new one on and it helped but not the best. sorry i can't help more.
Yes to the Rakers: They are low enough to cause the teeth to grab, and bog down. Doing that kind of work, it doesn't take much to overheat the bar and chain. Open up the Oiler all the way. Use the STIHL PLATINUM Bar Oil. The WOODCUTTER Bar oil may not be thin enough under those conditions.

Now that I have a good bit of chains and have a grinder I just swap them now when they start to get dull...which would of been almost sharp in a previous life

There is WAY too much hook on those teeth!! Thats part of the grabbyness

The sprocket is fine. It looks like its 98% good.

No, that sprocket is only 91% good...............

Do you want to know the easiest way to isolate the problem??

Put on a new chain, and see if that cures the problem. You will use the chain anyway, go ahead and buy one now, and then you will know for sure........

Surely the dealer would not have given him the Picco sharpener for his 461. I guess they asked or he told them the saw. Hopefully not a misgrab off the shelf on his part ?

here's a pic of what your chain adjuster should look like glockem. check the screws and look for any stripping.
13505.jpg
just a pic from the net but for a 461.

No, that sprocket is only 91% good...............

Do you want to know the easiest way to isolate the problem??

Put on a new chain, and see if that cures the problem. You will use the chain anyway, go ahead and buy one now, and then you will know for sure........
I sent him that in text on my way home. He does have a new in box chain. I said swap chains to isolate that issue. If it still does it you know its not the chain.

I said dont worry about correcting your file technique while trying to isolate this issue. The technique will come with practice. Were trying to figure out a problem here. A new chain will let you know if your fileing is the sole issue or not.

I have seen bad chain do weird things. I my self doubted a dull chain was my problem with a bar hanging in a cut. I thought the bar was issue. I knew chain was dull but wouldnt admit or accept that was problem even swapped bar and nothing. Ground the chain and all was fine. I think one side of cutters got in dirt when I was flush cutting saplings and caused the chain to want to cut circles and get hung in the jeff causing my problems.

Look at the pis of that chain, he is either cleaning the gullets, or doing something very wrong when sharpening.

I agree with him putting the new chain on to see what happens. Something is wrong here.
He told me he was putting too much of and upward angle on it. Like an extreme tilt...maybe in the 30° range??

Back