MS660 vs 395xp for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNMIKE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im sure this has been a thread on here before but...I am interested in what people think about which one of these saws is the better milling saw/ I am going to buy one or the other in the next month.

I found out yesterday my influenza has turned into pneumonia and all I can do in this good weather is crawl down here to my PC everynow and then. I am in my mid 50s and Ive never had pneumonia. I can now tell you its bad, really bad. Ive never coughed so much or had such a high fever for so long.

Enough whinning....who has an opinion?

Mike, my limited experience of these saw puts them pretty well in the same ballpark. Other factors night be more significant eg what sort of deal can you get, which dealer is closer to you, which dealer gives better service, do you have some bits already that might suit either saw etc.

Cheers

My 395 hauls ass, turns a 36" bar on my alsakan like no tomorrow - I'm milling mostly softwoods but had it in some big birch last fall - no problems!

I have nothing but good stuff to say about a 395 mounted up on a mill! With that said I am sure that either saw will do you good. Ive never ran a 660 but several here do and speak highly of them as well. Not much help was I Mike?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I run both the 395&066 saws on an alaskan.The husky has the most power for sure.I have just modded 3 of my 066 saws so mabey they will be able to keep up with the 395 now.My 394 also blows away my 066 saws.

Slabmaster, I have never run a Husky for comparision, but will have to say this, if they blow your 066 away, then they are some hoss. I love my 066.

Stihl

Nope Dusty no help at all. I was wanting to hear HUSKY HUSKY HUSKY chanting from you.

My oldest son got out of the USMC two years ago and has been taking forestry in college. He has been competing in the Stihl Collegiate Timbersport series and has done really well. I suspect a lot of that has to do with him being almost 24 yrs old and the grit he derived from Marine Corps training and two combat tours in Iraq.

Anyway. I was at at competition about a week ago and they were cutting poplar rounds with MS 440s. I was really suprised how poorly that saw cut. In some cases they bogged down in the cut until the chain stopped. I wasnt running the saw and I couldnt tell anything was in a bind but I would have thought it would have cut better especially in debarked poplar. My Homelite 925 would outcut it I guarantee you.

That started my thought process. I guess a lot of you have been keeping up with the series the Axemen. I dont watch it with a pencil in hand but Im seeing a lot of Husky and Jonsered saws on it. Am I missing something ?

Ive never run either saw we are talking about but I know Husky and Stihl both make good saws dont get me wrong. I know the EPA has screwed with the emission stuff so much they have really hurt performance on stuff sold in the US.

I keep hearing what a bada_s saw the 395xp is. I can get one for $939 out the door. Im kinda leaning this way at the moment. The Stihl dealers around here have really gotten proud of their stuff. I would love to hear comments.

For $939 out the door I wouldnt hesitate for one second to take it home! I think that you would be very satisfied with it, I know that I am with mine. Best of luck to ya!!:cheers:

There may also be an issue with warranty. Logosol stopped supplying 066s with it's mills in favor of Husky 395s as Stihl would only give a 3 month warranty for saws used for milling.

That being said I've milled a lot of hardwood with my 066 and it still runs like new. Sorry I can't give a comparison as have not run a 395

Oh, yea bigger is better when milling, if you can afford it consider a 3120 or 880

Mike, my limited experience of these saw puts them pretty well in the same ballpark. Other factors night be more significant eg what sort of deal can you get, which dealer is closer to you, which dealer gives better service, do you have some bits already that might suit either saw etc.

Cheers

Pretty much sums up my thoughts... I love my 395, but know folks that love thier 660. I suspect when all is said and done, there is little real difference as they are both good powerful saws, so as Bob says, go with the better dealer. The Husky does have a much longer warrenty, along with the fact that it was a hundred bucks or so cheaper, that was one of the reasons I went with the 395 over the Stihl back when I bought mine.

If it helps you decide then I'd put my vote on the Husky....I own 3 presently and ran several others (2100 / 288 / 394) falling full time for several years on the west coast. My old 288 (15 years now) is still going strong. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the 395.:greenchainsaw:

Slabmaster, I have never run a Husky for comparision, but will have to say this, if they blow your 066 away, then they are some hoss. I love my 066.

I own 10 066s saws and my 395& 394 saws blow all of them away! If they had the side adjuster,inboard clutch.I would replace all my 066s with huskys.I do own a 288 and it blows away my 064 saws.I think the larger case volume on the huskys is why they have more torque than the stihl saws.I'm building a 064 saw using a one ring 288 piston and 066 cylinder.I will be testing it in a week or so.It should have more power than my 395 as it is built for tons of power.:) Mark

What are the disadvantages of the outboard clutch?

I keep hearing complaints about the outboard clutch on the husky. What the disadvantage to it? Im used to the front side adjuster to that isnt a big deal to me.

I keep hearing complaints about the outboard clutch on the husky. What the disadvantage to it? Im used to the front side adjuster to that isnt a big deal to me.

In my opinion it is not that big of a deal after you get used to it. I cussed a few times when mounting up a long bar but after you learn to do with 2 hands what should take 3 you will be fine. Dont let the outboard clutch turn you away from this saw if its truly the one you want.:cheers:

The outboard clutch isn't as easy to change the chain.The adjuster is the a real pain when the saw is in the mill,as it is hard to get to.The stihl is alot more user- friendly. That's why i have decided to modify the 066s for more power and use them instead in the future.I also believe the stihl saws are easier to get parts for now as The box stores that sell huskys won't be of much help getting parts in the future.:mad: Mark

The outboard clutch isn't as easy to change the chain.The adjuster is the a real pain when the saw is in the mill,as it is hard to get to.The stihl is alot more user- friendly. That's why i have decided to modify the 066s for more power and use them instead in the future.I also believe the stihl saws are easier to get parts for now as The box stores that sell huskys won't be of much help getting parts in the future.:mad: Mark

Box stores dont carry the pro-grade saws anyway so that is a non issue. Parts for the 395 are gonna be around for a long time and arent a problem to find. I will however say that the clutch has to be removed to change the sprocket and takes all of ten minutes to do if you take your time. Also The Alaskan mill can be modded to give access to the chain tensioner. Stihl-in-Ky did this to his and I believe that it works well.:cheers:

Last edited:
Box stores dont carry the pro-grade saws anyway so that is a non issue. Parts for the 395 are gonna be around for a long time and arent a problem to find. I will however say that the clutch has to be removed to change the sprocket and takes all of ten minutes to do if you take your time. Also The Alaskan mill can be modded to give access to the chain tensioner. Stihl-in-Ky did this to his and I believe that it works well.:cheers:

When you pay big money for a saw that is ment for milling,you shouldn't have to weaken or modify your mill to tighten the chain.Shame on husky for that.Shame on them for letting box stores sell there saws and not offer them service.I as a consumer would not buy from someone that doesn't offer service for what they sell.Husky will learn a valuable lesson i think.As far as the big saws,no one sells them around here.Can't get them from baileys either.Plenty of stihl dealers around here:) So as far as i'm concerned husky just lost me as a customer.Mark

When you pay big money for a saw that is ment for milling

The 395, and its cousins, 394s, 2100s etc. were made for falling and bucking big wood. I'll bet thats what 99% are used for. I have one, and a 394. Never milled with them. A killer machine, so is the 066 Stihl.

Latest posts

Back