MS661 vs 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 066/660 is a thirsty mongrel in stock form, ported is just about the same at best, or much more thirsty at worse. The 661 is better fuel wise, but neither comes close to the mileage I get with my 044 and a 25" setup. Running an 8 pin on a 90cc does not increase the amount of wood cut per tank by much. IMHO, using a 90cc saw with a 25" for firewood is showing off, no matter what drive gear, unless youre in Oz. VP isnt cheap

Why are you using VP? A saw with 180 PSI compression should be able to run regular fuel.. problem with that around here is all the regular fuel has ethanol.. you have to go to Chevron 94 to get non-ethanol gas

Why are you using VP? A saw with 180 PSI compression should be able to run regular fuel.. problem with that around here is all the regular fuel has ethanol.. you have to go to Chevron 94 to get non-ethanol gas
Who said anything about 180 psi ?
There is no non ethanol gas in my area, its a political thing.
The VP that I run is 94

Who said anything about 180 psi ?
There is no non ethanol gas in my area, its a political thing.
The VP that I run is 94
Do stock 661's make much more compression than than 180?

Around here if you talk about VP fuel it usually means 110 octane race gas

Had a 660, 390xp and 661 all from Randy, tried them all in dead Aussie messmate with 25" and same new chain each, the pig rich 660 was much stronger than the 390 and the 661 with less run time was stronger than both of them. The 660 could be leant on heavily but the 661 could have had a saddle and given rides

I like that kind of saw as well for stumping, but usually prefer something else for falling and bucking. That saw with the stumping power will usually be slower through the cut in most scenarios. The 661 is a good compromise though. It seems to be the best of both worlds. I really enjoyed using mine last weekend.

That is what i look for,cookie times are cool and all ,but a saw can put a long bar and lean on is what i like

I don't lean on my saws. I like them set up where it just self feeds from the weight of the saw.

I am not referring to you TRX but it tears me up when someone tries to show how his saw cuts and does the overbucking, rocking motion thing.

I don't lean on my saws. I like them set up where it just self feeds from the weight of the saw.

I am not referring to you TRX but it tears me up when someone tries to show how his saw cuts and does the overbucking, rocking motion thing.

You cant let a saw self feed if you are making a horizontal cut ;)

I personally only use the dogs for felling ,or parking the saw in a log ,when bucking if the chain is so dull i have to do that ,another one gets swapped on ,i do not like to overheat stuff like bar rails ,clutches etc from undo load when no need for it .

Latest posts

Back