MS661 vs 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, maybe your just better at porting the 390 than you are at porting a 661 :drinkingcoffee:
You may be right! :)

The hybrid did like more compression as it ran like another saw ! Fast!!
How much compression are you running in your hybrid?

The 661c and 241c both cut fast but with alil more torque and less rpm but lack in the racey high aggressive rpm cutting like the 390xp and 346xp. I dont think either the 661 or 241 will ever be faster than the 390 or 346 in IMO. Huskies are aggressive compared to Stihl but I have to admit my hybrid with a good bit of compression and alil more rpm from tuning was screaming through the wood

You will never make me believe a 661 will be faster than a 390. In general the Huskies are faster . Even my buddy Laslab that cut with me tapped out to say the Huskies were faster and we r both Stihl folks!! He had a Stihl hat on and I told him take that dang hat off!!:surprised3::laugh:
I'm a Stihl guy at heart. At one time, all of my work saws were Stihl. As I began to mod saw, I quickly learned that I like the hotrod attitude I get out of a Husky. I just seem to get a bit more out of them. So, being the power junkie that I am, most of my work saws are Huskies.

For the 661 to be faster imo the mtronics will have to go and a reg. Carb. Fitted to it to tune the thing from running overly rich
One of these days. I intend to do just that.

You will never make me believe a 661 will be faster than a 390.
You are entitled to your opinion, but it is a narrow one.
I am open to the possibility that the 661 can get stronger with more time and different approaches to porting it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is a narrow one.
I am open to the possibility that the 661 can get stronger with more time and different approaches to porting it.
It is a very nice saw and has its place in bigger wood as intended but on firewood around 25" its not gonna par up to a 390. Ill have to see it but when I see it ill eat crow!! Lol!!

I think if a person likes the aggressive , raceier run of say a 346 or 390 but like Stihl, a Hybrid ported right will make them smile
Most definitely. I would also include a strato gutted 261, 440, 460, 461, and hybrid. While the Husky equivalent might come out a little faster, these models are capable of having that mean and nasty, hotrod attitude.

You are running a mildly muffler modded 661 ................ my 661 is a whole different animal now
Isnt that 390 ported ?
Yes, and I believe the 460 has the same arrangement. Which is a pretty crude attempt at meeting emmissions compared to the strato charged Huskies. In Stihl's defense Husky has a lot of quality strato related patents ties up via their purchase of Redmax.

Yes, the ported (and big cube) saws are thirsty, but they sure cut wood fast... if you're worried about fuel consumption for firewood, perhaps upping the chain speed with a bigger sprocket and full comp chain would make a 90cc saw more fuel efficient... lean on it a little less and have more teeth doing the work. It also depends a lot on the methodology used when porting... If you stay with conservative numbers and widen the ports you probably aren't losing much fuel efficiency... if you go with a 90/120/90 porting recipe that may change everything of course

In the end it's how much wood gets cut per gallon, not the hours/gallon.

Yes, the ported (and big cube) saws are thirsty, but they sure cut wood fast... if you're worried about fuel consumption for firewood, perhaps upping the chain speed with a bigger sprocket and full comp chain would make a 90cc saw more fuel efficient... lean on it a little less and have more teeth doing the work. It also depends a lot on the methodology used when porting... If you stay with conservative numbers and widen the ports you probably aren't losing much fuel efficiency... if you go with a 90/120/90 porting recipe that may change everything of course

In the end it's how much wood gets cut per gallon, not the hours/gallon.
A 066/660 is a thirsty mongrel in stock form, ported is just about the same at best, or much more thirsty at worse. The 661 is better fuel wise, but neither comes close to the mileage I get with my 044 and a 25" setup. Running an 8 pin on a 90cc does not increase the amount of wood cut per tank by much. IMHO, using a 90cc saw with a 25" for firewood is showing off, no matter what drive gear, unless youre in Oz. VP isnt cheap

A 066/660 is a thirsty mongrel in stock form, ported is just about the same at best, or much more thirsty at worse. The 661 is better fuel wise, but neither comes close to the mileage I get with my 044 and a 25" setup. Running an 8 pin on a 90cc does not increase the amount of wood cut per tank by much. IMHO, using a 90cc saw with a 25" for firewood is showing off, no matter what drive gear, unless youre in Oz. VP isnt cheap

That's the truth. Your post should be seen by everyone in my country. Here, everything longer than a "20 bar is 90cc territory. And after that, my coworkers are surprised when they see me using 30% less gas and have more wood on the ground at the end of the day.

@MustangMike
I agree.. I love friendly competitions, and I love learning about why one thing is better than the other. I've pretty much never had the fastest or prettiest anything in my life, but have managed to have fun anyhow.

I wish I were closer to all your GTG's :'(
Yeah, you dont want a fast wife Efrom

Imagine a MS 641, same weight than the 064, AV springs, quad port cylinder, and NO MTronic, a good old adjustable carb like on the 461, plus an unlimited coil. That'll be a hell of a saw.

If someone from Waiblingen read this...
ms640 close enough ?
stihl-ms-640-slika-26509276.jpg

Back