MS661 vs 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the psi on the 661?
No chamber work, the squish is real smoothe from the factory, was 155# from the factory. I now have just shy of 165# cold.
She really woke up from the grinder work, plus I took out everything I could on the muffler exit.

Brad, hope someone will bring some of your saws to the CT GTG. A ported 372 is very fast with a 20" bar, but I doubt it will pull a long bar like a ported 461 or 460. I could be wrong, have never seen one with a long bar on it. Usually, with the longer bars, size matters.
Then you're in for a surprise.

Brad, hope someone will bring some of your saws to the CT GTG. A ported 372 is very fast with a 20" bar, but I doubt it will pull a long bar like a ported 461 or 460. I could be wrong, have never seen one with a long bar on it. Usually, with the longer bars, size matters.
Mike, you really should try a ported 372. My MM & Simonized 372's pull AND OIL a 36" bar buried, with authority. Stock they were barely more than an 038 mag. If stock I would have a 10mm 044 or an early 046, but ported, my nod goes to the 372 Husky. Plenty of torque that stock Husky's are not known for.

I got to run Brads 346. First Snellerized ive ran and ill say it simple. BADASS!!!
I had one, but had to get rid of it for financial reasons, probably by biggest sellers remorse sale, I still have one of Randy's and looking for a stock one to port myself. That is one bad little saw though.

why not just make the test apples to apples and use the same bar and chain for each saw? I'd bet the saws would be closer than the approx 3 seconds that separated them.

why not just make the test apples to apples and use the same bar and chain for each saw? I'd bet the saws would be closer than the approx 3 seconds that separated them.
Going from a 36" to a 32" is not going to make a measurable difference. The 390 is faster, plain and simple.

Going from a 36" to a 32" is not going to make a measurable difference. The 390 is faster, plain and simple.

may be true if using the same brand of bar. But your not. You always give me crap about variables. Next time use the same bar brand (or better yet same bar) and new chains, then your test won't be "questionable."

A+ on technique though.

There is one thing you cant get away from on Earth, just like gravity, quad ports rule

I've run a ported 046 and ported 461 back to back w/o noticing any earth shattering difference.

And I've run a ported 372, it was very fast and very strong, but only wearing a 20" bar.

Hey, if I listened to everyone who told me one of my Mustangs (specifically the 390 & 427) back in the day could not beat this 440 or that 454, well, often they were wrong. The 390 really got no respect, and it was faster than the 427 (and my 428), and the 440 six pack SuperBee it ran. In fact, that 68 390 was my fastest car ever, (including the current one), and the only car I NEVER lost a race with. The canted valve big block chevys should have been faster, but they were not.

I even beat 5 other cars in an 1/8 mile competition, and I had 3.25 gears, no posi, and no traction bars. All the other cars had gears, posi & traction bars, and none of them could believe I won, especially the guy who got in my face before the races started and told me "390s don't run, w/o gears & posi, you don't have a snowballs chance in H***!" I beat 3 of the cars once, the built 455 GTO twice, and the built 340 Challenger (with the mouth) 3 times. He just would not believe it.

I don't expect to always win, but competition is fun, and sometimes not what was predicted.

Back