MS661 vs 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run a ported 046 and ported 461 back to back w/o noticing any earth shattering difference.

And I've run a ported 372, it was very fast and very strong, but only wearing a 20" bar.

Hey, if I listened to everyone who told me one of my Mustangs (specifically the 390 & 427) back in the day could not beat this 440 or that 454, well, often they were wrong. The 390 really got no respect, and it was faster than the 427 (and my 428), and the 440 six pack SuperBee it ran. In fact, that 68 390 was my fastest car ever, (including the current one), and the only car I NEVER lost a race with. The canted valve big block chevys should have been faster, but they were not.

I even beat 5 other cars in an 1/8 mile competition, and I had 3.25 gears, no posi, and no traction bars. All the other cars had gears, posi & traction bars, and none of them could believe I won, especially the guy who got in my face before the races started and told me "390s don't run, w/o gears & posi, you don't have a snowballs chance in H***!" I beat 3 of the cars once, the built 455 GTO twice, and the built 340 Challenger (with the mouth) 3 times. He just would not believe it.

I don't expect to always win, but competition is fun, and sometimes not what was predicted.
One of my dream cars is a fastback with a 390. A very underrated engine.

Yes it is, and all my Mustangs were fastback. The 390 is just an under bored 427 (or 406), they got a bad rap because the exhaust manifolds and exhaust system (a single muffler) did not let it breath. The 428s got better exhaust manifolds, but 428s were externally balanced, so they would not take the abuse a 390 GT engine would. (The GTs had better rods).

I've run a ported 046 and ported 461 back to back w/o noticing any earth shattering difference.

And I've run a ported 372, it was very fast and very strong, but only wearing a 20" bar.
And there isnt an "earth shattering difference" between Brads two videos, but there is a difference.

Hey, if I listened to everyone who told me one of my Mustangs (specifically the 390 & 427) back in the day could not beat this 440 or that 454, well, often they were wrong. The 390 really got no respect, and it was faster than the 427 (and my 428), and the 440 six pack SuperBee it ran. In fact, that 68 390 was my fastest car ever, (including the current one), and the only car I NEVER lost a race with. The canted valve big block chevys should have been faster, but they were not.

I even beat 5 other cars in an 1/8 mile competition, and I had 3.25 gears, no posi, and no traction bars. All the other cars had gears, posi & traction bars, and none of them could believe I won, especially the guy who got in my face before the races started and told me "390s don't run, w/o gears & posi, you don't have a snowballs chance in H***!" I beat 3 of the cars once, the built 455 GTO twice, and the built 340 Challenger (with the mouth) 3 times. He just would not believe it.

I don't expect to always win, but competition is fun, and sometimes not what was predicted.

Mike, I see your open differential did well for you. I too have had cars that didnt have traction problems, and were "guaranteed to hook up" but I never really ran them. No matter how hard you try, you cant overcome simple physics. What does this "fast" car of yours run in the 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile ?

Brad, maybe your just better at porting the 390 than you are at porting a 661 :drinkingcoffee:

The 661 is new, and different porting approaches show them getting stronger and stronger. I believe we havent seen the full potential for the 661 yet, but in time we will. It is then that we will see how they truly stack up against each other.

The 661 is new, and different porting approaches show them getting stronger and stronger. I believe we havent seen the full potential for the 661 yet, but in time we will. It is then that we will see how they truly stack up against each other.
Until Husky replaces the 390..round and round we go.

Had a good bit of run time on the hyrid, 390xp, 661c, 241c, and Snellerized 346xp. The hybrid did like more compression as it ran like another saw ! Fast!! The 390 is faster in 25" wood than a 661 and Laslabs Snellerized 346 is faster than a ported 241c. Myself and Laslab cut wood from 30" to 10" yesterday and fell around 25 trees so we had a good time and run different saws in alota different woods and had a good time. The 346 and the 241 being the most fun to run but I always like running my 390 too! Pretty radical!!

Until Husky replaces the 390..round and round we go.
The 661c and 241c both cut fast but with alil more torque and less rpm but lack in the racey high aggressive rpm cutting like the 390xp and 346xp. I dont think either the 661 or 241 will ever be faster than the 390 or 346 in IMO. Huskies are aggressive compared to Stihl but I have to admit my hybrid with a good bit of compression and alil more rpm from tuning was screaming through the wood

The 661c and 241c both cut fast but with alil more torque and less rpm but lack in the racey high aggressive rpm cutting like the 390xp and 346xp. I dont think either the 661 or 241 will ever be faster than the 390 or 346 in IMO. Huskies are aggressive compared to Stihl but I have to admit my hybrid with a good bit of compression and alil more rpm from tuning was screaming through the wood
You are running a mildly muffler modded 661 ................ my 661 is a whole different animal now
Isnt that 390 ported ?

You are running a mildly muffler modded 661 ................ my 661 is a whole different animal now
You will never make me believe a 661 will be faster than a 390. In general the Huskies are faster . Even my buddy Laslab that cut with me tapped out to say the Huskies were faster and we r both Stihl folks!! He had a Stihl hat on and I told him take that dang hat off!!:surprised3::laugh:

For the 661 to be faster imo the mtronics will have to go and a reg. Carb. Fitted to it to tune the thing from running overly rich

Latest posts

Back