Ms880 big bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank Rizzo is full of hot air. I'm surprised he's still allowed on this site. Hotsaws101 makes good saws I'm sure, but I've yet to hear of a more expensive port job. Lots of good guys out there who will make that 880 what it should be for a fraction of what jack at hotsaws101 charges. Personally I'd call Scott Kunz or Carl Miller.
Really ? Gent asked a question and I uploaded a video showcaseing saw in live action - no need for histrionics

Would you happen to know how to get in contact with him?
Hotsaws101 is his YouTube channel ; his email will be in the description ... He’s very selective of who he builds saws for ; His saws just plain BARK ... not the “cheapest” saw porter but does excellent work and can build you what you desire ...

Beware. Frank rizzo (aka fabz, banned on multiple other forums for being a jackoff) is a hardcore fanboy of hotsaws101. The guy does make great running saws, but is expensive and as said above, is an arrogant prick by almost all accounts ive ever heard. Lots and lots of good builders. Take ur time and do ur homework. And dont listen to frank fablez.
I’m not a “fanboy” of anyone there slick ... Don’t know why you feel the need to bash someone who was just answering a question and showing a video of said saw in live action ... the video was directed at the op who posed the question ... I’ve corresponded with Jack Hotsaws101 via email and have had lengthy discussions with him over the phone ; never came across as an “arrogant prick” to me ... been building saws (and falling) for a LONG Time and really knows saws - To the original poster : be careful who you put faith in on the inter webs - lotta bs artists out there that luv to sling mud about things they know very little about ! Good Day !

If you mix a stihl brand at 32:1 then only use HP Super. If that isn't available then use another FD rated oil like red armor.
Most, if not all other stihl oils are engineered to run at 50:1 and will cause excessive carbon build up when mixed any richer. Performance also suffers.
What he said, from personal experience. Ultra 32:1 might work good the day you mix it up fresh, but not a week later and is not recommended. Ultra is best left to 4-mixers at 50:1.

Respectfully.... Brad I hear that 32:1 but.... there has to be some air to run the saw.
It’s a smoky mess running a rich saw a 32:1 milling.
Any life saved in the saw is spent by the operator.
40:1 seems plenty and 50:1 won’t kill a modern saw for some time.
Yeppers ! Alkylate fuel is the healthiest for ya ... lotsa nasty in pump gas ⛽

Low hour 880 on 50:1 Ultra. No thanks

View attachment 676742 View attachment 676744

I've only had 3 880s down to the crank, but they all looked like that or worse. They're all still running without failure, one is milling. I had a conniption the first time I saw it on my saw.

Not saying it's okay for a crank end to be blue, but mine is still running fine. It runs 40:1 now.

I would select your port guy based on location, reputation, and schedule. There a lot of great porters out there. I wouldn't pay more than $350 and many will do it for a lot less.

Thanks for the info guys! I have been milling with this saw for about a year now. But isn’t used very often since it’s so hot here most of the year.

I’ve slightly modded the muffler by using a dremel to open up the exhaust outlet and turned up the fuel. Also always been running premium ethanol free fuel with hp ultra. I buy the 2.5 gallon mix and mix that in a 2 gallon can so it’s about 42:1?

I’d prefer to find someone local do the work but have no problem shipping my saw out for quality work.

An 880 isn't cheap to ship, so finding a local porter will save some money. Some porters are willing the just recieve the jug, cut it and send it back to you, but the the end product might not be quite as good.

Thanks for the info guys! I have been milling with this saw for about a year now. But isn’t used very often since it’s so hot here most of the year.

I’ve slightly modded the muffler by using a dremel to open up the exhaust outlet and turned up the fuel. Also always been running premium ethanol free fuel with hp ultra. I buy the 2.5 gallon mix and mix that in a 2 gallon can so it’s about 42:1?

I’d prefer to find someone local do the work but have no problem shipping my saw out for quality work.
If the saw is being used primarily for milling, do a muff mod and leave it be. That’s my opinion. Milking is a different story, obviously.

“Porting” a saw generally adds heat by the increased compression ratio. You don’t want to add any more heat to a milling saw than you need to, it’s already your enemy.

I use a good oil that is tough to burn (H1R) at 24:1 to mill. Never a problem and nearly no carbon buildup.

Just my $.02

Back