Mud season is coming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mud season? I just wait it out. On my sand ground, it's just a week at the most. You can watch the melt water ponds on my place fill as it starts warming, then drain almost overnight when the frost lets go.
good time for some late ice fishing or early open water crappie time!! the mud will wait or dry up without me?? lol

Don't forget your bug spray. Once a breeding pair gets together a long mud season could very well make for epic bugs.

I buck at the felling site and bring home rounds. Every stick I can get out before the melt this year is coming out. I can split and stack at home waiting for the mud to dry out.

The bogs are filling up here what with our Winter returning with a vengance to make up for the Junuary Summer. Our ground is made up of pumice and drains quickly on the elevated ground. We put a layer of rock on our roads otherwise logging might be doable for two weeks in the fall after the fire danger went down a skosh.

My neighbor has a 4 wheeler that he switches over to tracks in the winter. I've seen him pull some pretty good size trees with it, clearing trails. I would think it would work great.

That's slick, really..

..so..if'n a dude owned a snowcat up there, he might make some fair coin hauling out folks firewood with it, plus his own of course. Just hauling, nothing else, they cut it and everything, just haul it to where they can get a truck or trailer or on their property up to their cutting and stacking area. No idea what one costs though. A bunch I am sure.

I yarded wood with a D4 Cat several winters and it hauled some serious tree length wood. I have never heard anyone on AS using a dozer, but they work darn good. With the blade you can make smooth wide roads and plow snow. Just need to watch out for stumps. Not good throwing a track in the woods.

If everyone waits until this years mud dries up, they may be cutting firewood in June or July. Not much time to season wood.

If everyone waits until this years mud dries up, they may be cutting firewood in June or July. Not much time to season wood.
there's no need to stop cutting just because of a little mud! that's like not cutting because of a little rain, to much sun or any number of other excuse's... just keep cutting and piling it up! if you cant get it out no one else can???? if they try to steal it from you their more than likely to be stuck and in some deep ****!!! lol

Friend has a Argo sort of like this one with tracks. It is slow compared to most ATV's but he says it will go where others won't and pull some ungodly loads.

Picture doesn't want to post. Just search Argo and the one with the huge tracks is what he has.

getthumb

:D Al

After a very snowy winter, like many of us have had, mud season is sure to be one for the ages. At the moment many of us have snow depths that make firewood gathering difficult, if not nearly impossible. As soon as the snow starts to settle I plan on getting as much wood as possible out while the ground is still frozen.Wood on the landing will hopefully make up for the loss of time that is surely coming during , what I would guess to be, a prolonged mud season. With so many people either running out or nearly out of dry wood,how do all of you handle mud season in your area when it comes to getting your firewood out to where you process it? Seems a lot of you cut and split in the woods and haul it out with smaller equipment, which would make a lot of sense this year. Anything that helps get some kind of head start on the firewood season seems almost imperative , after a winter like many of us have had.

Well, the snow melted here yesterday and we're supposed to be in single digits again next week. Game plan is to work our butts off and get wood out of the fields and be done unless we get extended freeze. I'm too old to fight mud

I split some wood after work yesterday creek was still frozen over and shallow. Went out today after work and creek is thawed and flooded. Will have to do some walking.
!! "PLEASE", send some of your warm temps up here will you! MIND YOU THO, WE DONT WONT ALL YOUR WARM TEMPS AS WERE UP TO OUR NECKS IN SNOW AN DONT WONT TO SEND YOU A PRESENT OF WARM WATER TO FLOAT YOU ALL AWAY....... thanks ! lol

That's one of the reasons I split and stack in the woods or wherever the tree falls - or as close to it as practical. The wood may not be down at my house (and in truth I don't want it down there all summer), but it is stacked and drying.

It looks like mud will have to wait a bit longer. The cold is heading back along with possibly three snow events (hopefully small ones). I'm heading out to scout for some small standing dead stuff as I'm really low on short splits for the little stove. There's bound to be some dead sassafras around.

I don't know how I'll get it down to the house though. The snow is still deep and while it thaws during the day it freezes back up at night. The paths I've cleared are all a couple of inches of sheet ice. My wife is wearing ice cleats but my last pair destructed so I can hardly move around - I've resorted to just walking in the deep stuff as it is faster and safer. Beyond that, my upper arm/shoulder was mending well until I burned my finger on the stove the other night - I jerked back involuntarily and all the muscles that had been healing cramped up solid and I could not loosen it up. Now it's worse than it was when I hurt it to begin with and it's not much use. Carrying wood through deep snow with one arm is going to be a little slow I think.

Did a little walk-around this afternoon looking for target trees and shed antlers. 4 or 5" of snow on the ground.
Stepped into a hole and went almost to my knee in slush and water. When I went to catch my balance I stepped outta the boot that was stuck in the mud underneath and put my bare foot right back into the hole and fell on my side.
Soaking wet and cursing out loud I retrieved and reinstalled the lost boot, sitting on the edge of this flowing creek that was previously hidden under the snow.
When I finally get everything together to head back to the house, there are four deer standing 25 yards away watching me. I swear they were smiling, and maybe giggling.
Sorry, no pics.

Mud season is a no go for the tractor to the wood lots. We don't want to trash our meadows. Ground is still frozen solid here with a couple feet of snow on top. Plenty of time to put more wood on the ground if you like working in snow shoes.
20+" of ice on the lakes still. There's ice fishing to be done before mud season.

Mud season is a no go for the tractor to the wood lots. We don't want to trash our meadows. Ground is still frozen solid here with a couple feet of snow on top. Plenty of time to put more wood on the ground if you like working in snow shoes.
20+" of ice on the lakes still. There's ice fishing to be done before mud season.
waist high snow here and below normal feb temps... ice is thick as yours and plenty of ice fishing yet to do as tomorrow is the last for our game fish season. fishing in the am !!! oh heck fishing all day for sure! lots of time to cut wood when the hard water turns to soft water and can't walk on it till next winter.

This new polar vortex will help delay any thaw for a while. No better time than the present to get some wood out.

Back