Must own Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsonishere

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have been trying to get a few good running and usable saws and am left with a question. What are the must own (usable) meaning parts available and an initial price of less than 1500.00 used Stihl chainsaws? I currently have a ms200t, 026, 036, 046 and a 066 so what do i need to add?

So I have been trying to get a few good running and usable saws and am left with a question. What are the must own (usable) meaning parts available and an initial price of less than 1500.00 used Stihl chainsaws? I currently have a ms200t, 026, 036, 046 and a 066 so what do i need to add?

Nothing IMHO....but im no expert by any means. I would love to own a 046 and 066 myself. Im sure the stihl guys will chime in soon.

Sticking with your theme you could get an 088 fairly reasonable and even go the other way and find a decent 015, 011, or 009. Most of those older saws are still highly sought after and you would be surprised at the power and quality in those smaller saws. I own 2 084aveq's which were fore-runners of the 088. There had been some issues with overheating as I recall, but if you clean them properly after every use, keep your mixture correct and don't tweak the high end mixture screw too lean you won't have any problems. The 084 is however getting very hard to find some parts for, so you may want to rule that one out. An older saw that may be a good possibility as they are still around are the 056's. These are fine saws and plenty of them still left around.

562xp and a 395xp.:msp_biggrin:

I would go with a few must have classics like a 041super, 045super, 056MagnumII, and of course the legends 070/090 in either direct drive or gear reduction drive. For a classic saw with parts availability the only thing I see missing is the 064.

If not building a collection the 880 would be the only thing missing to have all bases covered (or maybe a 090g with 80" bar in case you need to chop down some ancient sequoias).

044 and 064 are good saws, but if you have the 046 and 066 they won't make much of a difference.

Sorry i forgot to mention my ht131 pole saw i just do not consider it a real chainsaw just a weed eater with a bar. I would like to get a 090 but they seem to sell real high.

Sorry i forgot to mention my ht131 pole saw i just do not consider it a real chainsaw just a weed eater with a bar. I would like to get a 090 but they seem to sell real high.

Yeah, wouldn't want you to go out and spend a bunch of money on chainsaw stuff or anything...

:rolleyes2:

Dump all that garbage on CL,,some sucker will want the stuff because of the "steal" name..
spend some good money on a couple decent chainsaws and save the headaches of supporting them over priced ,,overated POS's and go on with life happilly cutting wood with something comfortable and reliable instead of an over weight underpowered shoebox shaped ,saw of antique design..

I feel I must own this many and many more , this is my pile
4a5atyzu.jpg
minus a few that belong to someone else

I feel I must own this many and many more , this is my pile
4a5atyzu.jpg
minus a few that belong to someone else

As they rest dead in heaven amongst the clouds as they died laying on thier sides,,like any good stihl should,,,,RIP.

I dont care for Stihls. No longer own one after running a Husky- just sayin. I would however like to own a Stihl 038mag II. But that is the only saw Stihl made that I have an interest in.

Latest posts

Back