My 028 SU-per runs like a champ however my Echo 3400 is dead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxeye

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Sure its a cheap and disposable saw, but its a fun saw to use ina brush pile or in a tree. I used it hard when it ran and got close to 8 years out of it. It wa always plagued with hard starting and was finicky in keeping it to run without having to goose the throttle all the time, but I got used to it. I broke down and bought a fuel line and carb kit and new plug, spent time today going through it. Exhause port was cleanas a whistle and inside the muffler is a light brown color. Not one sign of carbon buildup on the exhaust port, but the piston sure is scuffed in the exhaust port area pretty darn good.

I removed the limiters on the H and L screws on the carb, set inlet valve lever as per instructions in carb kit, gapped plug and tried to fire it up. It is a bear to get going, same as it always has been, and once started I allowed it to warm up, having to keep goosing throttle as usual. Ran it through a few sticks of wood just fine, and then it started to skip and miss and died........No amount of pulling is productive. Its got good spark, getting fuel and all I can believe at this point is its the score onthe piston that is doing me in. I have not been able to get it to start again since it stopped, had a hissy fit and played chainsaw toss with it from the pile of trees I have laying down all the way back to the shop. I managed to stick it in the ground one time out of about 20.............tosses. I have an old oak stump I never removed as I hate cutting stumps close tothe ground with a real passion, so I made a cut in the top with my 028 Super and inserted the CS3400 bar into the slot,. and thats where the saw is going to stay as a monument to buying cheap......even though it did more than I expected it to do in all that time I had and used it. When I bought that say I bought 4 of them for a steal on online. My intent was to use them in the trees for a cheap saw since treework was a part time job and money was tight. Two of them were stolen on me(actually think my younger son sold them) one of them was dropped from about 75 feet onto a driveway and it did it in, and this is the lasts remaining one of the crew. It has been dropped and dropped again, but it always cut even though it was a bear to start and keep runnning....now its gone and I am heart broken over the piece of junk! May have to go run and buy a Wild Thing or a 2150 Poulan to help me get over it!

broken echo and 026 stihl still running sounds like problem solved to me
LOL
just have to give ya a hard time all in good fun.

Sounds like you like your saws just a little on the trashy side. :cheers:

Yep just how I Like my women also! :chainsaw: I like to keep an el cheapo saw around for a throw down...you know like when the brother in law comes around begging to borrow a chainsaw, or to toss in the vehicle during a storm or carry just incase you get the good saw stuck. I have no reservations on putting a cheapo poulan in the dirt or cutting landscape and rail road cross ties.but I cringe with my good saws being used like that.

8 years? even with the problems it seems like money well spent.
good luck finding your new beater.

may it be as good.... for as long!!!:clap:

i like the monument idea.:)

Back