my 044 freshen up is done!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, finally finished with my light overhaul of my personal stihl 044. put new crank seals in, carb kit, fuel filter, new coil. after about 2 hours scrubbing all the plastic with a toothbrush, she aint lookin too bad! tho now that all the air leaks are sealed up the carb is WAY off! but that can be done tomorow. anybody going to the sequim WA logging show will see me using this old 044 in the falling contest. lot of work and care has gone into fixing this old beast.. best of all the saw was given to me. whole thing has been a very good learning experiance.. second set of crank seals ive done now..
first set was on a customer saw that i ended up messing one seal up.. that one seal cost me $20 out of pocket at the local dealer.. wont make that mistake again! (didnt think they went in so easy.. dont need that big of a tap! :) even getting half way decent on my carb adjusting. i just love tinkering around like this on small engines.. allways learn something new.
it runs and im a happy man now :)

Hi Dedcow, it sure take a while to get a saw cleaned off doesn't it? I learned a trick last week from Dennis Cahoon. Take a can of starting fluid and spray it on the really bad spots, but only outdoors. Anyway, it really works slick using it and compressed air.
Like Chris says, good luck at Sequim.
Here's an 044 I recently built. It looks kinda wicked with the covers off.
John
0442.jpg

hey Gypo, the way you cleaned the head on that saw makes it look like it has a seperate head on that sucker. you holding out on us? saw looks good! i will get a picture of my 044 tomorow in the daylight. its not looking too bad.
i hope the sequim show makes it on TV like the rumors say.

Hi Dedcow, you are very observant. I also noticed that and couldn't figure it out either. Then I realized it was the lighting was causing the optical illusion.
Since the fins are running at different angles they catch and reflect the light at different intensities, thus the look of two seperate pieces making it look like a cutoff head.
So anyway, I took another picture just now and it looks very similar.
John
044.jpg

Latest posts

Back