My 046 Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbarryrec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I have been lurking and reading all the great info on this site for quite some time now and I thought I would contribute a little myself.

One thing I have always enjoyed is stories of finding saws on craigslist or hearing about them through the grapevine ect...so this is mine.

As i was surfing through Craiglist the other day as I do every day at least once(If not a couple times:biggrinbounce2:) I came upon a ad that said "stihl 046 for sale $75...Well I think I'll check that one out!

I called the number and the guy sounded promising said he couldn't keep the saw running..wouldn't idle..but said please come take a look...He was about a hour fifteen away.

I was right in the middle of one of the biggest remodels I have ever done but all day long all I could think about was that saw!

About mid afternoon I say the heck with it,I am going to call and if he still has it I am going down there!

His wife answers,he still has it,it's on!

So I run home,suit up,and jump on my motorcycle and head out....I stop right before I get on the highway to gas up(about 25 minutes from my house) and as soon as I get 10 miles down the road after filling up,my bike starts to lose power..not so good with all the big rigs and nimrods in cars rolling 80 past me...anyway I limp to my exit and try to figure out whats wrong ...It just won't rev past 5,000 which works out to be about 50mph..hmmm I dont want to turn around now (sheesh I have cad:bang:)
so I work my way down the road to the guys house...pull in the bike has lost revs down the point of only pulling 3,500 and then sputtering and wanting to die...but it will run below that.

Any way back the saw... Its missing a lot of paint on the bar cover,has some cracks in the rear handle,faded plastic with some small cracks..but its all there,in fact he had just put a brand new HD air filter on it trying to get it running better....at this point I am buying the saw running or not but we fire it up and it runs rough but not too bad.

So I go to count out the $75 and all I have is four twentys and a ten spot so I ask if he might have change and he says just give me $70 and take this with you...Hands me a 3/4 full gallon jug of Stihl bar oil!.....So I tell him thank you ,give him the money and head back out.

I get about 5 miles down the road and it starts pouring...rain,lightning,hail the works.:cry:

I find a gas station and wait about a half hour for the rain to calm down and plan a new route as my bike won't go above about 40mph...so I see on my map that the Blue ridge parkway will take me to about 15 miles from my house and I can get on about 5 miles from were I am at...All right.

Get back in the saddle,make my way up into the Blue ridge and have the best motorcycle ride I have ever had!!

I get up above the fog banks and the Parkway is deserted...I ride about 35 miles just floating along...perfect smooth road,winding,rolling up and down..Just awesome.

Anyway I get home and here's what I came back with.

The Ride
attachment.php

The Score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So I start thinking ok I really want to go through this saw before I try to run it,so I order a vaccum tester and sit on my hands for a week waiting for it to get here..with some help from this great site I vac test it and it pass's...clean it up...tear it down..cyl and piston look pretty good...

Ok the good part is I just happen to think I'll take a look in the carb and....Packed full of sawdust!!! I clean it out,put it back together,fuel up 1` 2 3 pulls Braaappp!! YES!!

I did some carb tuning and got it running pretty darn good,all though I think I will put a carb kit in it sometime when I feel like it.

I will post a pic of the saw cleaned up with a 28 inch bar in a minute as I am up to 4 pics for this post.

Thank you all for all the help and great info on this site,and thanks to Parrisw for the "post pics for dummies" post!

P.S the pilot jets on my were bike just clogged up with junk and fired right after cleaning.:clap:

Nice score and nice bike!:cheers:

Welcome aboard. Nice to see someone else who goes pickin' with their scooter.

Nice score. Looks like you're gonna need a new half wrap handlebar on the saw.

Man what a great find, awesome price, and good story to boot. I hope to luck into a deal like that someday. I did the Blue Ridge last year, doesn't get much prettier than that. Enjoy!

Nice score. Looks like you're gonna need a new half wrap handlebar on the saw.

You got a good eye!

Yeah I do need an new handle bar but I will mostly be using this saw to somewhat under power my homemade alaskan mill so I might wait to get a new bar until it breaks or I find a 660 and then the 046 can take over bucking duty from my 361.

Thanks for reading!

Where are you located in VA. I have a 660 you can try out if youre close.

Haha thanks for the offer but I'd better not...or my bank account might develop a 660 sized hole:laugh:

I'm up between Roanoke and Lexington va...in the hills.

So what was wrong with the scooter?

Just crudded up pilot jets...Nothing a cleaning didn't fix.....Now if I could just fix my new ignition problem :monkey: :bang:

Latest posts

Back