My 359 rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I did my side-by-side timed cut today. My 361 and my 359 are both stock, both had freshly sharpened chains on 20" bars and both running 75:1 Amsoil with premium gas. The Stihl has the suggested factory settings and the 359 has recently come from a very good mechanic, HOWEVER, judging from the way the saws sound, I would say they are tuned close to the same.

The log was a 24-inch round of dry elm in perfect condition. I had to cut from two directions to finish the cut, but it was done the same with both saws.

The first cut was done with the 361 and timed at 58 seconds. The 359 came in at 48 seconds.

For the next round, I changed my technique a little and the 361 came in at 48 seconds. I thought that this was the difference and that the first was my fault, BUT using the second technique on the 359, it came in at 38 seconds-still beating the Stihl by the same 10 seconds.

I would never have thought that the 359 would have beat it, but it did in this test. There is not enough difference to care, but I found it very interesting because I had no preference in the test. I was just curious.

I really do like the way that the 359 handles better than the Stihl and it starts easier after having been run. Both saws are going to get worked hard and so we will see who lives longer.:cheers:

I did my side-by-side timed cut today. My 361 and my 359 are both stock, both had freshly sharpened chains on 20" bars and both running 75:1 Amsoil with premium gas. The Stihl has the suggested factory settings and the 359 has recently come from a very good mechanic, HOWEVER, judging from the way the saws sound, I would say they are tuned close to the same.

The log was a 24-inch round of dry elm in perfect condition. I had to cut from two directions to finish the cut, but it was done the same with both saws.

The first cut was done with the 361 and timed at 58 seconds. The 359 came in at 48 seconds.

For the next round, I changed my technique a little and the 361 came in at 48 seconds. I thought that this was the difference and that the first was my fault, BUT using the second technique on the 359, it came in at 38 seconds-still beating the Stihl by the same 10 seconds.

I would never have thought that the 359 would have beat it, but it did in this test. There is not enough difference to care, but I found it very interesting because I had no preference in the test. I was just curious.

I really do like the way that the 359 handles better than the Stihl and it starts easier after having been run. Both saws are going to get worked hard and so we will see who lives longer.:cheers:

:cheers: Awesome SB, See that husky is just so smooth you didnt realize how fast it was!!!!

Bud, you better lock your doors at night and watch your back. Saying anything that detracts from a 361 is dangerous in this Stihlhead infested swamp.

How can u time 2 saw's cutting from both sides? Some user advantage 4 sure.:dizzy:

3.9HP vs 4.6 HP = 18% increase in Ponies
48sec vs 58sec = 20% increase in speed
38sec vs 48sec = 25% increase in speed

359 must cure AIDS and Malaria! 25% faster cutting with 18% less horsepower

Sorry, but I think something else might be at play here. I think there is a variable that you aren't seeing. This is coming from a proud 357 owner too just so you know! I wish it were true but physics don't lie.

If there both stock it might be close. I'm A Stihlhead with a couple of crossbred Huskies. My 029Super will out cut my 359,and a stock 361 by 1/2 a second. That ain't much but happens.:chainsaw:

I don't know that the 359 is 10 secs faster but I always said the 359 was quicker, but then someone pulls out a stat sheet and tells me different. Kind of like practice speed and gameday speed, stats don't mean $hittttt!

Smilin Possum will probably not smile at me :), but at work the one 029 Super in use doesn't really out perform the 290's we have. There are a couple of 290's that it will out cut, but others not. Maybe its a bad apple of the bunch (and the factor of employees that don't care).

I just have a few months time on my 359 and to this point have been very impressed. With all the prior saw time on 029's and 290's, I wouldn't expect them to get as much work done as the 359. However, maybe this experience with just one 359 is an extra good one.

It is what it is. My wife did the timing and the cuts were run the same-as close as I can get them anyway. There are always variables, but I don't think the chains are one of them. They were both wearing Bailey's chains with the rakers checked and the chains sharpened. I pushed both saws as fast as I could without bogging them down. I was pretty impressed with both, actually, but the Husky won and was smoother doing it. Sorry, Stihl guys. I have both and like both, but this is what my saws did.

I suppose that there could be a slight tuning difference, but I don't really care as long as they both do their job cutting down trees. That 24-incher was the biggest tree that I have cut down so far. I rarely encounter anything over 20 inches. :givebeer:

saying bad things about the 361 could get you negetave points and possible temporary grounding from the site.

paper stats dont mean anything its all in where the power curve is and how it uses the power it has.

SBHooper, relax and step back from the situation. You are new here and appear to have fallen into some suffering.

Your comparing two similar sized saws with different tunings, with different setups, using a faulty test media and a favorable predisposition to one. This will get very little respect from many if not most serious enthusiasts. Brand babies and model whores will love it but it is automobile advertisement at its best.

The one thing you had going beyond just the effort to do the test was a legit size of wood.

Next time just time the first pass.
Hold both saws level through the entire cut.
No tilting. No levering. Let the chain do the work. Might be easier to do with the spike off.
Exact same chain. Same type, pitch, gage, condition(new).
Same thing for the bars.
Same type and size of rim.
If possible saws with the same tunings, factory or custom.
Same age of saws with similar run times.
There are other things that should be done for the super picky but these few things satisfy most.

I personally do not like doing times for demonstrations because it is a hassle and can be expensive.

The times for your saws are way wacky so you should probably send your 361 to the mechanic that fixed your 359 along with some donuts. The times would be about the norm one might see for rim changes. They are not at all the norm, if they were then the 357 would be a freaking light saber and it is not.

Enjoy the saws and continue to do comparisons as they age.

get your panties out of wad, so what your sacred 361 isnt the winner in this test, it might be tommorrow. though it does seem to be loseing some of its cancer cureing qualities in the last few months.

i dont know that there will ever be true un biased test with human skin contacking the thottle trigger and wrapping there hands around the handlebar.

get your panties out of wad, so what your sacred 361 isnt the winner in this test, it might be tommorrow. though it does seem to be loseing some of its cancer cureing qualities in the last few months.

i dont know that there will ever be true un biased test with human skin contacking the thottle trigger and wrapping there hands around the handlebar.

If you are refering to my post here is some info.

I do not currently own a 361. I have never bought into its hype. I prefer the 360 hands down.
I have owned numerous 359s and apperently still own one and they also deserve no hype. I prefer the 360, hands down.

I do not and never have worn panties. I am told by some that they wad up.

The aforementioned post was simply to explain why the OPs test will get little respect and to HELP him if that is what he is after. There was no insult intended.

Last edited:
lol

i realy could care less about the test he did i just found it funny that the you jumped in like that presumebly protecting the 361

i was wrong i apoligize

Latest posts

Back