My 359 rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol

i realy could care less about the test he did i just found it funny that the you jumped in like that presumebly protecting the 361

i was wrong i apoligize

That is what I thought as it was uncharacteristic response from you.

I really do not have a brand preference and as far as models go the biggest differences these days seems to be with material quality, manufacturing process quality, and in service durability. Speed and power are very close most times, even the precious power curves are getting very close. I would guess that the nest generations will be even closer.

it depends on how he's using it, and ive used both...the powerbands are differnt....and a 357 and 359 are night and day difference...357 has more hp but less max torque...(cant find the spec sheet right now..)...

On purpose Husky will write down the spec a little for the 359. Can't be as good as a 357 for less money. People have to think the 357 is so much stronger that they pay the extra cost. For the 361 on the other hand, Stihl will most likely not write the specs down since it's the premium saw, rather the other way around.

My guess is: 359 > 3,9 hp MS361 < 4,6 hp. The only 60cc saw with true 4,6 hp is the all mighty 262XP !

"saying bad things about the 361 could get you negetave points and possible temporary grounding from the site."

It's OK, it's really OK, he forgot to mention that the 361 wasn't even running.

Start it up next time and it will be a closer test....LOL.....Cliff:cheers:

On purpose Husky will write down the spec a little for the 359. Can't be as good as a 357 for less money. People have to think the 357 is so much stronger that they pay the extra cost. For the 361 on the other hand, Stihl will most likely not write the specs down since it's the premium saw, rather the other way around.

My guess is: 359 > 3,9 hp MS361 < 4,6 hp. The only 60cc saw with true 4,6 hp is the all mighty 262XP !

Pete,

You're right. The Dolmar 6400 has 4.8 HP. But, you knew that. Right?

ole joat

I did my side-by-side timed cut today. My 361 and my 359 are both stock, both had freshly sharpened chains on 20" bars and both running 75:1 Amsoil with premium gas. The Stihl has the suggested factory settings and the 359 has recently come from a very good mechanic, HOWEVER, judging from the way the saws sound, I would say they are tuned close to the same.

The log was a 24-inch round of dry elm in perfect condition. I had to cut from two directions to finish the cut, but it was done the same with both saws.
The first cut was done with the 361 and timed at 58 seconds. The 359 came in at 48 seconds.

For the next round, I changed my technique a little and the 361 came in at 48 seconds. I thought that this was the difference and that the first was my fault, BUT using the second technique on the 359, it came in at 38 seconds-still beating the Stihl by the same 10 seconds.

I would never have thought that the 359 would have beat it, but it did in this test. There is not enough difference to care, but I found it very interesting because I had no preference in the test. I was just curious.

I really do like the way that the 359 handles better than the Stihl and it starts easier after having been run. Both saws are going to get worked hard and so we will see who lives longer.:cheers:

Walking around the log with the clock running isn't really legit or timing the saws, its more like timing the operator but if it gets your jollies be happy,LOL

Pete your making that crystal ball of your work overtime there. Stay out of sales,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

SBHooper, relax and step back from the situation. You are new here and appear to have fallen into some suffering.

Your comparing two similar sized saws with different tunings, with different setups, using a faulty test media and a favorable predisposition to one. This will get very little respect from many if not most serious enthusiasts. Brand babies and model whores will love it but it is automobile advertisement at its best.

The one thing you had going beyond just the effort to do the test was a legit size of wood.

Next time just time the first pass.
Hold both saws level through the entire cut.
No tilting. No levering. Let the chain do the work. Might be easier to do with the spike off.
Exact same chain. Same type, pitch, gage, condition(new).
Same thing for the bars.
Same type and size of rim.
If possible saws with the same tunings, factory or custom.
Same age of saws with similar run times.
There are other things that should be done for the super picky but these few things satisfy most.

I personally do not like doing times for demonstrations because it is a hassle and can be expensive.

The times for your saws are way wacky so you should probably send your 361 to the mechanic that fixed your 359 along with some donuts. The times would be about the norm one might see for rim changes. They are not at all the norm, if they were then the 357 would be a freaking light saber and it is not.

Enjoy the saws and continue to do comparisons as they age.

Justsaws; right on the money! It is not what some will want to hear who get off on the brand loyalty bickering, and it points to exactly what a 99% of it is based on. The lack of control in comparison testing sometimes unknowingly creates confusion and very often it almost appears deliberate. The loopholes can be so obvious that it is insulting.

It is so true that doing a comprehensive comparison takes time and effort.

I had the opportunity of helping a builder compare two same brand 50 cc class saws that had been done with different porting philosophy.

The chains were timed, swapped and retimed by both operators and two timers used. Same log of wood and two cuts, one cut off top and one off bottom averaged for each saw and each operator. Obvious knots were avoided. Carbs were tuned for fastest cut time, not identical RPM as that was considerably different.
We were chasing down about a 10 percent difference in cut time and looking at slightly different preferences for wood size and raker length. If you were throwing in sprocket size difference that has to be done as a seperate experiment and find out if the carbs want different tuning when you swap sprockets.

If you see a comparison done with apparently close control of conditions to eliminate variables then it carries a little more weight (unless you suspect the author is a deliberate and creative faker)

It is amazing how people start making excuses when things don't go the way they believe they should. Just because I am new to this site does not mean that I cannot run a chainsaw. Do I have to have 5000 posts to make me an expert? Incredible!!

Anytime you have humans involved, there are variations. The cuts that I made were made the same way and as close as I could get to consistent. The chains were close enough that they are not an issue. They were both new with two sharpenings. It looks to me like just because IN THIS TEST the Husky won, Stihl psychos are not willing to accept my findings.

I was accused of having a preference. I OWN BOTH SAWS FOR GOD SAKES! Does that say that I have a preference? Look at my signature. I have two of each! In this test, I felt like the Husky was a smoother saw, but THAT IS MY OPINION and does not mean that is how anybody else sees it.

Five people could come up with five different test results. These were the UNBIASED results that I came up with like it or not.

WHAT? No flaming because the test was done using Amsoil?:jawdrop::givebeer:

Tommie,

ole joat and the family want to the beach for a week of fun and frolic.

Pepsi, breakfast of THE CHAMP, :cheers:

ole joat

You went to the beach, cool beans man. Thanks for all those Pepsi's. Man thats enuff to last me the rest of the year,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

It is amazing how people start making excuses when things don't go the way they believe they should. Just because I am new to this site does not mean that I cannot run a chainsaw. Do I have to have 5000 posts to make me an expert? Incredible!!

Anytime you have humans involved, there are variations. The cuts that I made were made the same way and as close as I could get to consistent. The chains were close enough that they are not an issue. They were both new with two sharpenings. It looks to me like just because IN THIS TEST the Husky won, Stihl psychos are not willing to accept my findings.

I was accused of having a preference. I OWN BOTH SAWS FOR GOD SAKES! Does that say that I have a preference? Look at my signature. I have two of each! In this test, I felt like the Husky was a smoother saw, but THAT IS MY OPINION and does not mean that is how anybody else sees it.

Five people could come up with five different test results. These were the UNBIASED results that I came up with like it or not.

I am glad you mentioned that SB, I have to say I wont be able to accept your test as a reputable test of a 361 and a 359.

Since I have found with farther investigation that you were using AMSOIL in these saws at the time of the test, all results will be null and void.

In order for it to be an accurate test you'll have to use the manufacturer recommended oil at the recommended ratio.

You went to the beach, cool beans man. Thanks for all those Pepsi's. Man thats enuff to last me the rest of the year,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tommie,

Yep, a good time had by all, except for the grouper, crabs, shrimp, wahoo, tuna and flounder that found its way into our collective bellies.

BTW, Pepsi was the favorite soft drink of ole Elvis.

Thanks for all your help,

ole joat

Last edited:
SBhooper; Justsaws gave you good advice but I see you are a bit defensive about your methods and pretty hyped on the brand bashing BS.
I agree with you there about that skat, but it sure does occupy the minds of a lot of people.

If you dont see there are loopholes you could ride a horse through in your test then I have to suspect you are either trolling or........? I leave that to your imagination.

No, I dont think the use of amsoil was a relatively large spoiler of the credibility of your test, Lol!
:chainsaw:

I think most would be hesitant to accept the results or surprised because the slower saw in your test is rated .5hp more than the faster.

I think most would be hesitant to accept the results or surprised because the slower saw in your test is rated .5hp more than the faster.

That could be correct, BUT everyone knows stihls are highly overated!

Similar to my brothers almost new 250 ms rated at 3.0 hp and my well used 345 husky also rated a 3.0 hp. But for some unknown reason the 250 always was a few seconds behind the little 345.

But I know it must have been the chains even if they were new!

Latest posts

Back