My 359 rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Differences from one copy to another is in no way going to account for these test results. If a saw is faster in one operators hands than someone elses, then he doesn't know how to run that saw. It's not the saws fault and does not mean the saw is slower.

Differences from one copy to another is in no way going to account for these test results. If a saw is faster in one operators hands than someone elses, then he doesn't know how to run that saw. It's not the saws fault and does not mean the saw is slower.

I disagree 100% but that's ok with me, I agree with you on some and some I don't! If we all agreed on everything we would not have this forum! LOL

Also I do agree with you 100% it should not be a brand war! I know stihls are good saws but they are not my favorite, nor are husky!
That does not mean I dont agree for some people they are the best!

I'm not disagreing with you at all here. I simply think you're confusing the point I'm trying to make. My point is that if his 359 is 20%-30% faster than his 361, then either there's something wrong with his 361, or he doesn't know how to run it. And because of the discrepancy of his results, I can't have any faith in his test at all.

On purpose Husky will write down the spec a little for the 359. Can't be as good as a 357 for less money. People have to think the 357 is so much stronger that they pay the extra cost. For the 361 on the other hand, Stihl will most likely not write the specs down since it's the premium saw, rather the other way around.

My guess is: 359 > 3,9 hp MS361 < 4,6 hp. The only 60cc saw with true 4,6 hp is the all mighty 262XP !

KWF/DLG dyno tests confirmed the 3.9 and 4.6hp numbers (Euro 361) - and a healthy torque differece in favour of the 361 at low rpms as well (3.7 vs. 3.2Nm). That was with the non-cat 359.

The 357xp didn't live up to the advertised specs though (in 2002), but they may have got it right later.

Last edited:
OK boys. Pull 'em out and let the Hooters waitress use her ruler to determine the winner.

Mowoodchopper, I think on a public forum such as this there is kind of a clumsy built in verification or cleansing system that sorts things out eventually. Sometimes it seems to be rather painfully slow and erratic. I have watched it for a number of years and sometimes temporary popularity band wagons do seem to upset the process. ("Its amazing to me how many people are more interested in patting the other guy on the back than listening to one persons opinion! I guess that's how important rep is to some people"). Popular opinion can be wrong but that doesnt make personal opinon exempt from being questioned. That is what we are seeing in this thread. Maybe there are some lessons to be taken; time will tell.

I have seen opinions or statements put forth that were simply wrong and they needed and eventually get addressed. It is not always pretty and sometimes there is some stubborn pride that prolongs the process. Occasionally someone has voiced an opinion that was correct but flew in the face of popularity. The poster sometimes took a lot of abuse before he either left or toughed it out and authenticated his position. Occasionally we have seen people get altogether too vulgar and personal in either opposition or support of an idea and moderators have to, well, moderate. Still the process has to somehow run its course.

I'm not disagreing with you at all here. I simply think you're confusing the point I'm trying to make. My point is that if his 359 is 20%-30% faster than his 361, then either there's something wrong with his 361, or he doesn't know how to run it. And because of the discrepancy of his results, I can't have any faith in his test at all.

I understand your point, and I agree 20-30% is a lot, I also agree we don't know for sure if either saw is tuned to perfection, the 359 is close I can say because i know the guy that tuned it! I don't agree on that he does not know how to run the 361, I do think there can be alot of diff in cutting style and the husky feel powerband etc may fit him better than the stihl. What I'm saying is with 2 saws so close in size and power, and after you factor in the chains and wood diff and tuning and user, do I believe the 359 was faster for hopper? Yes do I think it will be that much faster everyday probably not buy it may very well be the better saw for him!

SBHooper, relax and step back from the situation. You are new here and appear to have fallen into some suffering.

Your comparing two similar sized saws with different tunings, with different setups, using a faulty test media and a favorable predisposition to one. This will get very little respect from many if not most serious enthusiasts. Brand babies and model whores will love it but it is automobile advertisement at its best.

The one thing you had going beyond just the effort to do the test was a legit size of wood.

Next time just time the first pass.
Hold both saws level through the entire cut.
No tilting. No levering. Let the chain do the work. Might be easier to do with the spike off.
Exact same chain. Same type, pitch, gage, condition(new).
Same thing for the bars.
Same type and size of rim.
If possible saws with the same tunings, factory or custom.
Same age of saws with similar run times.
There are other things that should be done for the super picky but these few things satisfy most.

I personally do not like doing times for demonstrations because it is a hassle and can be expensive.

The times for your saws are way wacky so you should probably send your 361 to the mechanic that fixed your 359 along with some donuts. The times would be about the norm one might see for rim changes. They are not at all the norm, if they were then the 357 would be a freaking light saber and it is not.

Enjoy the saws and continue to do comparisons as they age.

Exactly! :agree2::cheers:

Mowoodchopper, I think on a public forum such as this there is kind of a clumsy built in verification or cleansing system that sorts things out eventually. Sometimes it seems to be rather painfully slow and erratic. I have watched it for a number of years and sometimes temporary popularity band wagons do seem to upset the process. ("Its amazing to me how many people are more interested in patting the other guy on the back than listening to one persons opinion! I guess that's how important rep is to some people"). Popular opinion can be wrong but that doesnt make personal opinon exempt from being questioned. That is what we are seeing in this thread. Maybe there are some lessons to be taken; time will tell.

I have seen opinions or statements put forth that were simply wrong and they needed and eventually get addressed. It is not always pretty and sometimes there is some stubborn pride that prolongs the process. Occasionally someone has voiced an opinion that was correct but flew in the face of popularity. The poster sometimes took a lot of abuse before he either left or toughed it out and authenticated his position. Occasionally we have seen people get altogether too vulgar and personal in either opposition or support of an idea and moderators have to, well, moderate. Still the process has to somehow run its course.

I dont disagree with you on most of that! I do think though there is alot of time no definite answer, to many variables and diff people like diff things!:cheers:

I understand your point, and I agree 20-30% is a lot, I also agree we don't know for sure if either saw is tuned to perfection, the 359 is close I can say because i know the guy that tuned it! I don't agree on that he does not know how to run the 361, I do think there can be alot of diff in cutting style and the husky feel powerband etc may fit him better than the stihl. What I'm saying is with 2 saws so close in size and power, and after you factor in the chains and wood diff and tuning and user, do I believe the 359 was faster for hopper? Yes do I think it will be that much faster everyday probably not buy it may very well be the better saw for him!

Just for the record, I didn't say that he doesn't know how to run his 361. I said it's a possibility. Something's amiss. I will say that if the time difference is due to the power band of the 361 not fitting his cutting style, thus causing it to cut slower, then he needs to alter his cutting style to let the 361 run as it should. That could also be read that he didn't know how to run the 361. However, we don't know that. I'm simply making a point.

I sure wish I had a nice straight clean 16" hardwood log here. But I don't. I would do the test I mentioned between a 357, 359, 360, and 361. There would be flaws in this test too. The 361 is brand new out of the box. The 357 has maybe a tank or two on it. The 360 is an old saw with a new AM piston. The 359 had a scored piston. The cylinder was cleaned up and a new piston installed. Compression is good. Never the less, I think they could tell a somewhat accurate story. Anyone got a log nearby? All I have is some super knotty pine. Good for tuning but not testing.

I should have sent you a log with my 361 LOL. There are trees piled up everywhere here waiting to be bucked.... I see you got your hands on another 361 quick. And brand new too? Another port job?

Just for the record, I didn't say that he doesn't know how to run his 361. I said it's a possibility. Something's amiss. I will say that if the time difference is due to the power band of the 361 not fitting his cutting style, thus causing it to cut slower, then he needs to alter his cutting style to let the 361 run as it should. That could also be read that he didn't know how to run the 361. However, we don't know that. I'm simply making a point.

:cheers::agree2: That is what I was trying to say kind of! I wouldn't say he needs to alter his style , just run huskys! I do agree you have to let the saw run where it wants to if your gonna do a 100% test, which is damn near impossible in my opinion. Like me for instance , I like to be able to bite in with the dogs and really make the saw work under heavy load. As you can imagine that does not work good for high rpm low torque saws!

Im gonna go work on the 116 Ill holler If I need help! LOL

I sure wish I had a nice straight clean 16" hardwood log here. But I don't. I would do the test I mentioned between a 357, 359, 360, and 361. There would be flaws in this test too. The 361 is brand new out of the box. The 357 has maybe a tank or two on it. The 360 is an old saw with a new AM piston. The 359 had a scored piston. The cylinder was cleaned up and a new piston installed. Compression is good. Never the less, I think they could tell a somewhat accurate story. Anyone got a log nearby? All I have is some super knotty pine. Good for tuning but not testing.

I wish we were closer I could have you a truck load of big logs! If you guys all didnt live in a totally diff part of the country I would have gtg! I have a great place for it and some big trees we could play with , I mean big like 4ft - 6ft diam!

I think you need at least 15 tanks on most of those (not the 360) before doing a serious comparison!

Latest posts

Back