My BIL, a good guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is still the original plastic, so the final product will look even nicer.
611267299_knDbB-M.jpg

The muffler is yet to be modded, sandblasted, and painted.
611267470_oXymz-M.jpg

611267625_rnaPe-M.jpg

611267775_hjD5d-M.jpg

And what you've been waiting for...the video of it running.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0-2CXvKzd8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0-2CXvKzd8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And what you've been waiting for...the video of it running.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0-2CXvKzd8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0-2CXvKzd8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Man that looks and sounds good I knew we would be impressed.
Have you done a compression test?

Have you done a compression test?

Even with a less than perfect cylinder with fresh honing, as well as rings with endgaps of .020" and .022", it's still making 145-150 PSI. That would increase as the cylinder walls are smoothed out from the honing. This cylinder would be totally fine with a new piston, but given the opportunity, I chose to go with the new kit for only $40 more.

I don't like the fuel line on this saw. It seems too short on both ends. The fuel filter barely touches the bottom of the tank on its end and the other end nearly kinks to reach the carb. Is this normal for the older 026s?

I seem to recall some discussion about these two lines but don't recall the details. Can I swap to the newer one or is the hole in the tank different? If it needs to be larger then it's no big deal. The one on the saw looks like 1121 358 7705, but I'd prefer to use 1121 358 7700.

Also, should all 026s have cover washer PN 1121 162 1001 under the clutch, or was it only implemented with the newer clutch?

And finally, I have a question about the tank vent. This has the older style vent using a fiberous cone on the outside. Should there be a plastic cover over that? Perhaps PN 1121 350 5802?

Last edited:
Even with a less than perfect cylinder with fresh honing, as well as rings with endgaps of .020" and .022", it's still making 145-150 PSI. That would increase as the cylinder walls are smoothed out from the honing. This cylinder would be totally fine with a new piston, but given the opportunity, I chose to go with the new kit for only $40 more.

I have no problem with the new kit, this saw is worth it. I was just curious.

Nice work!
When i get working i usually take no pictures so you did good.
Matt

U heat the whole case or just around where the bearing gos in? What did u use.
Iv read about baking the case in the oven, what works for you?

The washer is only need for the newer style oil pump, if you got the big circular oil pump like 024 behind the clutch, no need for the washer.

edit, from the picture below, you'll need a washer.

Last edited:
I don't like the fuel line on this saw. It seems too short on both ends. The fuel filter barely touches the bottom of the tank on its end and the other end nearly kinks to reach the carb. Is this normal for the older 026s?

I seem to recall some discussion about these two lines but don't recall the details. Can I swap to the newer one or is the hole in the tank different? If it needs to be larger then it's no big deal. The one on the saw looks like 1121 358 7705, but I'd prefer to use 1121 358 7700.

Also, should all 026s have cover washer PN 1121 162 1001 under the clutch, or was it only implemented with the newer clutch?

And finally, I have a question about the tank vent. This has the older style vent using a fiberous cone on the outside. Should there be a plastic cover over that? Perhaps PN 1121 350 5802?

Brad, the old hose on the 026 is a PITA just drill out the tank and use the new 7700 hose.

The tank vent should have a little (usually white) plastic cap that covers it and helps keep it clean. Check your Media Cat there’s a tech bulletin on it with the "new and improved" version.

The cover washer goes on every one of them, and its the same one they use on a bunch of the smaller homeowner saws , you probably have one laying around.

:cheers:

On the clutch cover how did you paint the STIHL and the sight line?

Back