My Brother Cut His Knee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think his brother was very lucky.

Even when you hire a chainsaw here they MUST SUPPLY CHAPS.

Sometimes stumps have steel rods in them from planting which can kick back.

Sometimes the bar is not long enough and an inexperienced operator can have a kick back.

Sometimes the log section traps the bar and the saw shoots straight out of the cut in a line. I know one guy who didn't want to get down on his knees doing the old bending over routine had the saw shoot straight out ... bamm right into his ankle. Imagine left hand on the handle right hand on the throttle, you are bent over and cutting toward your feet then the saw shoots straight back not arcing in kick back fashion. Also due to the placement of the left hand the chain brake likely wont activate. :chainsaw:

On larger stumps I'll often get down on the knees, left hand on throttle and right hand on handle bar, be behind the saw cutting away from me. That way either scenario you have control.

He was cutting the stump below ground level after we dropped the tree. We had to do some digging to get the saw that low. You have the roots flaring out, the dirt, and you have to work around them in a circular fashion. Had he been on his knees stiff arming the saw and behind it pushing away he would have been fine. I am not sure if the saw kicked back because of a closing cut or the top of the bar catching. It's basically stump grinding with a chainsaw. Have done it many times, but you have to keep extra attention on controlling the saw, body placement, and stance.

Here's a couple pics, I'd say he recovered fine. Got lucky though and didn't go into the bone and just missed some tendons, couldn't have done a better job.

DSCN1756-1.jpg

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCN1761.jpg

Yeah he's a big tough bastid, I'd say he didn't even cry! :)

Now I wanna hear from the TomTrees guy who got 180 staples in EACH LEG.

I think he owes it to us all to make sure we never do anything like that.

So come on TomTrees, what were you doing?

Here's a couple pics, I'd say he recovered fine. Got lucky though and didn't go into the bone and just missed some tendons, couldn't have done a better job.

DSCN1756-1.jpg

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCN1761.jpg

That is one speedy recovery, what do they feed you guys out there? What, you couldn't give the guy a few days off?
Trash? Never! Smarta$$? Sorry.
Did he really do this tree with all those stitches? That's tough! Look out for each other, I know you do, its in the job description. You guys got it all.

No, this tree was done after the stitches were out. His incident happened last summer.

Dan here is our menu: venison steaks, venison brats, venison jerky, venison snack sticks, venison summer sausage, venison burger, venison roast, venison ring bolona, venison sandwich bolona, venison bacon, venison breakfast links, cheese and potatoes.

Drinks: milk & beer.

I shot these six deer last year while posting the first 2 drives of the day. 7 shots fired, done by 9:00 in the morning.

Toorganize024.jpg

Here was opening day a couple years ago. Me and my bro got good bucks.
Hunting2005031.jpg

Here is an 8pt me and my bro shot down with pistols in a drive. Notice the "crown reduction" on the willow trees in the back, the ditch was on fire and burned them badly, so we did a "crown reduction" on them and they are starting to come back, amazing trees. I like saying "crown reduction", lol.
DSCN1478.jpg

Last edited:
No, this tree was done after the stitches were out. His incident happened last summer.

Dan here is our menu: venison steaks, venison brats, venison jerky, venison snack sticks, venison summer sausage, venison burger, venison roast, venison ring bolona, venison sandwich bolona, venison bacon, venison breakfast links, cheese and potatoes.

Drinks: milk & beer.

I shot these six deer last year while posting the first 2 drives of the day. 7 shots fired, done by 9:00 in the morning.

Toorganize024.jpg

Here was opening day a couple years ago. Me and my bro got good bucks.
Hunting2005031.jpg

Here is an 8pt me and my bro shot down with pistols in a drive. Notice the "crown reduction" on the willow trees in the back, the ditch was on fire and burned them badly, so we did a "crown reduction" on them and they are starting to come back, amazing trees. I like saying "crown reduction", lol.
DSCN1478.jpg

Well all I have to say is STOP F-ING UP THOSE LITTLE TREES, like the one in the backround of one of those deer pictures!:)
Tha't's not all I have to say- you should know that.
I have to say I am so envious of your little tree crew. No wonder you can post pics of spiking prune jobs, using chain in odd places, and genarally doing whatever you want AND still come out looking good. I would love to spend some time working with you. Don't drop at my price though. But sometimes I would pay to work with guys like you, it is so much fun. You guys are truly the last frontiersmen around this day and age and have set yourselves up nice. I bet you have a lot of fun working.
That little deer in the picture above is cute; What did you name him? Dinner?

Last edited:
i think tman has a little man crush on you and your operation there nails. lol

did i read right that you and your brother ran down a deer and shot it with hand guns? awesome.

tman is right though bud. you got it going on and its very respectable.

i think tman has a little man crush on you and your operation there nails. lol

did i read right that you and your brother ran down a deer and shot it with hand guns? awesome.

tman is right though bud. you got it going on and its very respectable.

Just a little one but YEAH! I admit it. I call them like I see them. More to come about the philosphy of the Gilman Gang. Who can beat their recipe? ****, who can beat thier firepower?

Tman and OD, I can feel the love, lol.

Yes, tree work is great fun for us. We eat up as much of it as we can get our hands on. We have our daily grind job, we like that too, but when we get in the trees it's relaxing, challenging, and good all around commaradere. We often BS about doing it full time, but the concensus is that would take a lot of the fun out of it. Other guy's do different things in their free time, we pull out our guns, bows, equipment, and most importantly CHAINSAWS!

Don't get me wrong, we do take our tree work very seriously, but have fun at the same time. That is something you can do when you have a crew of guy's all willing and competent at all tasks. Keeps confidence and moral high.

BTW OD, we do a deer drive in a really thick piece where me and my bro opt for handguns to take the deer down at short distances. First time we did this some guys were laughing, 50 yards into the drive the 8pt jumped up between us and tried to go back on us, we converged on him in a heartbeat (litterally) and brought him down. Scoped rifles would have been a different story. Case and point.

For the record all those deer were shot on public land (paper company) or boardering public land.

Stop in if you guys are in the area, we'll have fun, lol.:)

Latest posts

Back