my experience with stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordbroncodave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In January 2013 I bought a brand new MS391 off the shelf with the case, stihl extra chain, stihl cold climate bar oil and synthetic stihl engine oil. I spent just under $700 for the whole package and when I bought the extras my warranty was bumped up to 2 years.

After first use I noticed something was wrong, the bar gets hot and smoke rolls off of it. I turned the oiler all the way up and it sprays a good line. It still continues to smoke off the chain and once in a while throw a spark off.

I brought it in where I bought it and says everything looks good and sprays oil well, then says they will test it out on some logs but will have to charge me for it (um no. that is not how this works)

So I left and tried it a few more times back at the farm, this whole time I only used 3/4 of a gallon of bar oil and maybe 1.5 gallons of fuel mix (that is how long I have owned the saw)

Brought it back in today and says that everything looks good, chain tension is good, sprays oil, chain moves freely, bearing looks good, clutch material looks good, brake works and then the blade is tough but useable. (once again insisted they test it on wood and will need to charge me to do it)

I told him, just standing there holding the saw and reving it, smoke will roll of the bar like none other and it gets so hot you cannot touch it. it sears the wood like a steak on a grill. the darn thing cuts fine until it starts getting hot and smokes then doesn't want to do anything (same as when I first tried it)

3rd time emailing stihl about the problem and have not received an email yet.

dad bought a smaller echo within a week of me getting this stihl and we both cut wood at the same time and have about the same amount of use. his still out cuts mine since both were new. very dissapointed with this whole experience :mad:

To help us sort this out you will have to tell us a few more things. This sounds like a friction issue to me. Did your chain and bar come with the saw when new?
Do you know what gauge your chain and bar is?
Have you or anyone else sharpened the chain since you got the saw?

20" bar, 3/8" chain

on the chain link it says Stihl C 3/8 and N1

bar says:

50cm/20"
3003 008 8921
1.3mm/.050

ROLLOMATIC E

Do your drive links have holes in them? If they do then the chain is .063 gauge and the bar is a .050 gauge bar nope this helps.

Or

You can use a micrometer or dial indicator to measure the links

Sumptn ain't right. If it uses and throws oil, that ain't the issue. Mismatched sprocked, mismatched chain gauge, faulty (defective) bar. Just borrow a working bar and chain and see of the problem disappears

Howdy,
If your drive link has a 1 on it, it's .043 gauge. If you have a Stihl brand chain on it, it should have a 3 on the drive link.
Regards
Gregg

Number 1, never go to that dealer again, find one who knows how to GIVE service. With the chain adjusted per owners manual, does it move EASILY? If not find a good dealer to check it out.

It has a green link if that helps.

Another thing to point out,there is a 1/8" gap around the bar sprocket on the end of the bar. None of my other saws have a gap in this area.

full chisel blade
3/8" pitch
green link (that should help narrow down the selection)

I'll post a video after work.

Take the chain off the bar and see what Grand Dog says above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a guide bar not a blade. Have you grounded the chain maybe? A dull chain will get hot and cause problems. Another thing the wood you cut makes a difference as well. Hedge will throw sparks, cut slower and wear out equipment. Really hard seasoned wood could do the same thing, it only takes asecond to dull a chain.

Howdy,
If your drive link has a 1 on it, it's .043 gauge. If you have a Stihl brand chain on it, it should have a 3 on the drive link.
Regards
Gregg

Yes, I'd like to see a close up picture of that chain, as it sounds like it is not the right one for the bar (or for the drive sprocket)....:msp_scared:

It could however be that he haven't posted the number that is stamped on the drive tangs? The chain needs to be out of the bar rail to see that number.

Last edited:
If it were me I would ask to talk to the manager or owner. Tell them your story. Heck what about taking some wood to the shop and demoing the problem right in front of them. I understand that should NOT be necessary but I would not give up.

Howdy,
The chain frame isn't supposed to touch the tip as it goes around. If there truly is an 1/8" of gap, and the numbers you previously described, I would say they put 61PMN on your saw. Take photos before you go back there again. If you ran it as much as you did, I would at the very least demand a new bar, chain, and sprocket if you're a nice guy. If they balk at all, I would mention that they were extremely lucky nobody was hurt even after they had a second chance to correct the issue at hand. If they still don't capitulate, contact Stihl Corporate, and the dealer will wished they would have worked with you.
Regards
Gregg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back