my experience with stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your chains is so dull you may as well turn it backwards. It's just generating massive heat and not cutting anything. Didn't the saw shop say anything about that?

ok, i lied...
i'll say more...

ya see the front of your cutting teeth ??
they are supposed to come to a sharp, very defined, point....
yours ain't even close !!!!

Do your drive links have holes in them? If they do then the chain is .063 gauge and the bar is a .050 gauge bar nope this helps.

Or

You can use a micrometer or dial indicator to measure the links

My drive links are 0.050 and have holes in them - RS chain ............... micrometer is the way to check
Chain is very dull and the points are clearly rounded
Chain looks tight as well, should have a slight droop along the drive links to bottom of the bar when hot.

Last edited:
Your chains is so dull you may as well turn it backwards. It's just generating massive heat and not cutting anything. Didn't the saw shop say anything about that?

What he said. That is one dull chain. Can you take a few close up pictures of what you were cutting?

Did you ever pinch the bar while cutting? If so roll your chain around the bar and look for tight spots. If you've got one they'll smoke in a hurry, but can be fixed with a screwdriver. And you might want to pick up a file, that chain needs some work.

Didn't the saw shop say anything about that?

Yeah, if the chain looked like this when the OP took it in, the shop should have pointed it out. If they were 'sharp', they might have offered to sell him a new chain or sharpen his existing one for free - a $7 gesture to keep a $700 customer happy.

There still could be some other issues going on with the saw - frustrating to not be able to see it in person; where abouts in MN are you fordbroncodave ?

Philbert

I would sharpen that chain for free, just looking at it pains me.
Your a little bit of a drive away though.

Get it sharpened right away.
The rakers will have to come down as well.

Definitely stay away from dirt and soil and logs that are covered in dirt, soil and seasoned hard wood until you learn to sharpen those teeth and rakers.
Find someone that knows what they are doing and learn or this will happen again.
Edit, Edit
That dosnt fix the original problem but at least it will be a skill that pays dividends forever.

Last edited:
Yeah, if the chain looked like this when the OP took it in, the shop should have pointed it out. If they were 'sharp', they might have offered to sell him a new chain or sharpen his existing one for free - a $7 gesture to keep a $700 customer happy.

There still could be some other issues going on with the saw - frustrating to not be able to see it in person; where abouts in MN are you fordbroncodave ?

Philbert

Carver county MN

OK everyone I get your idea, It never really did cut large shavings from the beginning like dads echo he bought.

DO I SHARPEN THE CHAIN OR THROW IT AWAY?

If I throw it away, what chain do I buy now? Buy a bar too?

All my cutting was suspended wood off the ground or felling far above the ground just to drag what ever I cut to a brush pile.

I heat the house on wood and a chainsaw is vital to keep the wood stockpiled here at the house. we cut all our wood and split it here. All the wood comes from grandpas farm or dads friends. We keep everything over 2.5" and split it all. and if anyone wants to know what our wood heater is, its a fire chief, about 2 years old now

Latest posts

Back