my experience with stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will give this suggestion to the dealers out there, let your counter guys know when a pro comes into your store, bear in mind he's probably put more hours on a saw in the last week than they have in the last year. Don't need starting advice, I already know what the problem is, and have probably rebuilt more saws than they've ever touched. Just get me my parts. And while I'm ranting, don't go bashing the other guys. I love my stihls, but I'm not gonna walk off the job cause a guy hands me a husky. I had a Stihl dealer start bashing husky when I came in to get a loop cut for a 372. I asked him if he'd ever put one to wood, and he admitted he'd never run a husky. Credibility was kind of gone at that point.

How can one distinguish a "PRO"? I can usually pick out a pro hooker pretty easy, but pro loggers, hard to distinguish....

Especially since every one in the door considers himself a pro.

men coming into a saw shop, is like new dogs thrown into a kennel. A lot of growling, tail hair standing up, sniffing, peeing on tires, etc......

I love trying to give a pro some constructive advice, fun to watch the testosterone show!!!! Especially sharpening advice, they lose their minds at that point.

I have nothing to add... skip this rambling here, lol

Wow, I been following this thread since it started, What? a day or two ago. I think the title is what caught my attention and drew me in. I'm new to chainsaws myself but understand from all angles. I too had a bad experience with my dealer. He made a mistake (ordered & sent me home with the wrong $1000 saw) & I was a little upset. After running the wrong saw & going back to see the dealer & he originally denied his mistake, At first I was so upset I started speaking loudly but then I realized (after seeing the owner become very defensive) I was crossing the line so I began speaking very quiet & the owner took care of me after that. He's getting me the right saw now (this time with m-tronic) Mistakes happen, not everybody (even people that work for the dealers) know everything. Some people just need a job to survive. Yes the economy sucks!!!!!!! I bet a good majority here know so much info about chainsaws they could get a job at a local dealers business and be a shining star.

Anyways, lets bash huskees for a while. I'm not to wild about their color choice on the saws. What is that red? ha ha Just kidding.:D

Now to the op. Get that new chain on the saw and please let us know if that fixed the problem. Don't feel intimidated with every one (including myself) running their fingers across the key boards. This is mostly entertainment anyway. everyone wants to help & everyone including my self is learning. Heck I still need to learn how to adjust a carb & sharpen a chain. Most importantly I need to learn how not hurt my self. Remember Stihl is the best (dealers vary) I hope you like the saw with the new chain. I also hope you kick that other (what is your dads saws brand? Echo?) saws butt. Show him what a real chain saw does, lol. Good luck -Mike

Wow, I been following this thread since it started, What? a day or two ago. I think the title is what caught my attention and drew me in. I'm new to chainsaws myself but understand from all angles. I too had a bad experience with my dealer. He made a mistake (ordered & sent me home with the wrong $1000 saw) & I was a little upset. After running the wrong saw & going back to see the dealer & he originally denied his mistake, At first I was so upset I started speaking loudly but then I realized (after seeing the owner become very defensive) I was crossing the line so I began speaking very quiet & the owner took care of me after that. He's getting me the right saw now (this time with m-tronic) Mistakes happen, not everybody (even people that work for the dealers) know everything. Some people just need a job to survive. Yes the economy sucks!!!!!!! I bet a good majority here know so much info about chainsaws they could get a job at a local dealers business and be a shining star.

Anyways, lets bash huskees for a while. I'm not to wild about their color choice on the saws. What is that red? ha ha Just kidding.:D

Now to the op. Get that new chain on the saw and please let us know if that fixed the problem. Don't feel intimidated with every one (including myself) running their fingers across the key boards. This is mostly entertainment anyway. everyone wants to help & everyone including my self is learning. Heck I still need to learn how to adjust a carb & sharpen a chain. Most importantly I need to learn how not hurt my self. Remember Stihl is the best (dealers vary) I hope you like the saw with the new chain. I also hope you kick that other (what is your dads saws brand? Echo?) saws butt. Show him what a real chain saw does, lol. Good luck -Mike

Go into this $1,000 wrong saw a little, I am curious.

You told him the model you wanted, and he ordered the wrong one? You took it anyway? You took it not knowing that it was wrong.

Give us some details, I am definitely curious.

Good Foresty Helmet with front screen with eye and hearing protection, good set of cutting pants or chaps full wrap, steel toed boots with good soles or corks, good gloves that will keep your hands from loosing grip after 9 hrs cutting in the rain at 5 degrees, good wool shirt or 2, good back pack, jets for long treks and of course rain gear. now your safe and can cut for hours.

I can't believe I'm the only one that this has ever happened to, not once, but twice. Check the hole in the bar that the oil flows through. Being its a new saw with a new bar, The oiler hole could be full of paint. I had that problem with a brand new Dolmar painted Oregon bar. The saw was oiling fine when the saw was new. The first time I flipped the bar it wasn't oiling enough. I pulled the bar back off and checked it and it was oiling fine. I put bar back on and same problem. Everything appeared fine. I cleaned the bar groove and same thing. I had to use a scratch awl to clean out the oiler hole and break the paint out of it. It wasn't noticeable until I cleaned out the hole. I had the same problem with a bar on an Ebay bought Craftsman 50cc Poulan 5020. Probably why the saw was returned to Sears and resold on Ebay.

I think this OP might be a little green with the saws but he sounds like he knows his way around a machine. When this problem occured for me it had me stumped and I've been running saws for a while. Differance is I didn't run the saw till I smoked a bar and chain. The smoke that he's getting could be from the heat on the spurr and the excess oil thats not going to the chain and flowing down to the hot clutch.

Sounds like he's dealing with a few of the Stihl dealers around our area. And as far as whats considered a pro sawer around these parts, I guess the tree climber who worked at my neighbors really knows his saws when he called that same Dolmar one of those Chinese made junk saws, and I should be running one of those Pro Stihl saws like his 192C climbing saw.

Last edited:
Go into this $1,000 wrong saw a little, I am curious.

You told him the model you wanted, and he ordered the wrong one? You took it anyway? You took it not knowing that it was wrong.

Give us some details, I am definitely curious.

Hi, I don't mean to take over this interesting thread here. Since you are interested in this info I can share a link to the thread I started right after I came home with this saw last week. New saw will be in next week. 6 days :chainsaw:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/235502.htm

good call Vibes

Last edited:
if the Germans call it Schwert..

It's a guide bar not a blade. Have you grounded the chain maybe? A dull chain will get hot and cause problems. Another thing the wood you cut makes a difference as well. Hedge will throw sparks, cut slower and wear out equipment. Really hard seasoned wood could do the same thing, it only takes asecond to dull a chain.

..then let the dude call it "blade" if he wants to...... or if he has German origins - maybe that explains,, lol..
don't get me wrong - I'll never tell ya what to do or say.. just sayin' that I'd tell the guy something more like - 'well buddy, where we're at right now - we call it "bar" so we can understand one another around here better'

but.. oh well, dunnow man..

Yeah, I have to admit, when a guy comes in looking for a set of jugs for something or other, I still snicker.......

I honestly feel I have a legitimate problem with the chain/bar, after first use it was apparent. I was told by the dealer to go out and run it some more so I did. (now its officially used and everyone thinks its been abused) nobody is believing me there WAS something wrong to begin with.

Well maybe so, it was a problem to begin with and has came to the point that its not useable from the condition of the chain. I was told to keep running it with the issue. That is not my fault and I should be compensated at least a new chain because when first using it, it felt dull yet it was brand new. Who knows maybe someone shopping for a saw picked it up off the shelf, dropped it accidentally and slammed it back down on the metal shelf to make it look there wasn't a scene.

I have saw experience, I have 5 poulans and I had a david bradley. We bought a new saw every year because they were cheap and inexpensive. Like I said, we heat the house on wood and it is essential to have a good working cutting saw to fulfill the needs of the house. DO YOU THINK I AM STILL DUMB AS A BOX OF ROCKS AFTER ALL THIS TIME?

I honestly feel I have a legitimate problem with the chain/bar, after first use it was apparent. I was told by the dealer to go out and run it some more so I did. (now its officially used and everyone thinks its been abused) nobody is believing me there WAS something wrong to begin with.

Well maybe so, it was a problem to begin with and has came to the point that its not useable from the condition of the chain. I was told to keep running it with the issue. That is not my fault and I should be compensated at least a new chain because when first using it, it felt dull yet it was brand new. Who knows maybe someone shopping for a saw picked it up off the shelf, dropped it accidentally and slammed it back down on the metal shelf to make it look there wasn't a scene.

I have saw experience, I have 5 poulans and I had a david bradley. We bought a new saw every year because they were cheap and inexpensive. Like I said, we heat the house on wood and it is essential to have a good working cutting saw to fulfill the needs of the house. DO YOU THINK I AM STILL DUMB AS A BOX OF ROCKS AFTER ALL THIS TIME?

It is hard here, as we don't have a look at the saw chain before you got it, but it should have been visably used/abused.

Dave,

Guys on the forum just like to speculate out loud, and some of them get off on a tangent. I think people here were pretty sympathetic to you over some anonymous dealer. But all we had to go on was the info you gave us and the photos you sent.

How does the new chain work? Did it solve the smoking problem?

Philbert

I dont think anything like that.I believe you. Im glad you got a new chain. Just ignore the hot heads. Let us know how its going with the new chain.
Did you inspect every 1/4 inch of the bar all the way around for a pinch with it off the saw?

How can anyone form anything solid from this tripe?

It is just taking one side or the other!!!!!!!

Which from the poorly represented side from the OP, makes me lean to the other side.....

But who gives a ****?

I am about done...

Chill out, there are some great people here that will help you out. Hard to believe you've got a huge amount of chain saw experience and would not know that chain was toast. Have you ever sharpened a chain or do you just get a new saw when they get dull? It's easy to ruin a brand new chain in a matter of seconds.

I have been following this thread since it started and it sounds like the chain was dull before he used it. I am not saying it was as bad as the pics he posted showed but not sharp like new chains normally are. But again, that still does not explain the smoking when just revving it. There has to be something else wrong.

I would agree that he needs to find a new dealer. OP, I would not let this one problem keep you from buying another Stihl. All companies have their problems, it is just a matter of how the dealer handles it, which clearly this dealer did not do his job.

I picked up a pawnshop 310 with a solid bar. First thing I did was get a new chain as the old one looked like it was at the tail end of its life. When I went to put the new chain after I filed down the mushroomed bar on I noticed some missing thing like the hose that should be on the fuel tank vent and some guide bushings. Anyhow the chain sparked a bit. I played with the oiler adjustment and once it cut a bit it stopped sparking. I suspect it was really tossing off some filings from when I dressed the bar. When I went into the second Stihl dealer which was closer to get those missing parts I asked about a new sprocket. The man said the sprocket was fine. He saved me some money.

I got the chain from one Stihl Elite dealer that I like but not every counter person knows the best way to stay out of my wallet. The second shop stayed out of my wallet too. The third and fourth Stihl shops in town I am not fans of. One is a hardware store that sells saws but never has a person sitting in the saw section.The fourth shop does not have a tool nerd working the counter.

OK, lots of rambling. The only point that matters. You showed us pictures of a really dull chain. Not the dullest I have ever seen but still a person lacks credibility when they say a saw does not work well and they do not recognize a dull chain/teeth. By the way I made a bit of a mess with that 310 leaking bar oil as I did not reassemble things correctly the first time so I am not holier than thou. As I said before, all you have to do it hit one hidden stone and you will dull a chain in a few seconds. Only cure is to dress it up with the correct size file, get the chain sharpened by someone else or put on a new chain. It does not matter if the chain got dull a minute after you started cutting or a 1/2 hour after cutting.

How can one distinguish a "PRO"? I can usually pick out a pro hooker pretty easy, but pro loggers, hard to distinguish....

Especially since every one in the door considers himself a pro.

men coming into a saw shop, is like new dogs thrown into a kennel. A lot of growling, tail hair standing up, sniffing, peeing on tires, etc......

I love trying to give a pro some constructive advice, fun to watch the testosterone show!!!! Especially sharpening advice, they lose their minds at that point.

Well, to start with, they ain't bringin in a 310 for service, and they ain't expectin warranty service. But they do expect a dealer to be able to recognize a part without 15 minutes on the computer.

Back