My first attempt at porting,and have a ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooster68

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im porting my 036PRO, first time,so im pretty nervous,good running saw dont want to make a mistake! i want to port it 60% of the piston diameter,my question is on the intake side i have to widen each side of the port .051 thou.this will bring my lower ring pin within .100 of the intake port,is this too close??my piston skirts are.100thou.from ports, this is close enough for a first time porter like me??

I wish I could help you brother...there are others here that will be able to help you.

i will be .130 from skirt edge, but on intake side i will only be .100 from lower ring pin??is this enough??

Yep that should be just fine on intake, it does not take much to keep the ring end tucked in, just as long as it can't start to climb onto a bevel of a port edge with a little margin for ring wear and things moving about under running conditions.

You are planning to leave the top of the intake alone right? Most times it is best not to mess with the top of the intake esp on stihls to avoid free porting, ring problems and so you leave yourself room for lowering the cylinder in the future.

I have only widened the ports,not messed with the top or bottom of them, this is my first port job,i measured the squish with no gasket and comes to .025 thou.so i will go with no gasket.everything is going smooth so far i just hope i didnt overdue my hole in my muffler it is 95% of the exhaust port where it meets the muffler. thank you

Back