My first real saw..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleatus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I picked up my first " real " chainsaw. I say " real " chainsaw as i have only ever used cheap Poulan's and Homelite's. A friend of mine has or i should say had two brand new Dolmar 7900 chainsaws and decided to bring one with us on a little 4x4 trip. So on our second to last day while dropping a tree to use for our campfire for the next 2 days it took a turn for the worse and he accidentally cracked the fuel tank and put a small bend in the handle.

Soooooooo. A week later while standing around his shop drinking beer he asked me if I wanted to buy the damaged Dolmar. After a few more I asked him how much to which he replied 200$. Without thinking, either cause of the beer or possibly the price I forked over 200$ dollars and took my new chainsaw home.

The next day I ordered a brand new fuel tank assembly for 120$ and a new handle for 65$ and anxiously await the arrival of my replacement parts. So now I'm into this slightly previously enjoyed Dolmar for 385$.

Plans for the future? Well let's just say I got a little worked up tonight, maybe the beer again and ordered a Baileys BB kit and HD air filter kit to which I will put on the shelf until I feel it's time to install them. There will also be a muffler mod in the works for the future too. For now I just want to get out there and enjoy my new to me saw then try other things with it.

So needless to say I am quite excited about my new saw and look forward to testing and tuning it over the next little while.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated and as I have already noticed on here. Keep your Dolmar vs stihl vs husky vs whatever bashing to yourselves if you don't like it. It's kinda like comparing a Mercedes Benz Uimog to a Jeep as a far as 4x4's go. No contest.

Thanx everyone.

Last edited:
And a pic of my previously enjoyed chainsaw

IMG_3792.jpg

Back