My New Saw Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sonofagun...

Rangers seem to be pretty popular with AS members...

Useful for hauling stuff, but if you get one with the 4 banger or the 3.0, the gas mileage doesn't kill you. The 4.0 however is said to be real thirsty, plus I've read of more problems with them as well. Another thing with the 4.0 is that it's a ##### to change the plugs on it. It's tricky in the pass. side rear cylinder, but if you look at the 4.0, good luck getting to that one without taking the heater box out or tearing something apart.

They're real easy to park...

I have found a 302 that I want to swap into mine... guy wants 650 for it with the trans, and both the engine and trans are rebuilt. Swap headers are only 150 bucks from Summit Racing...

OP, you have one sweet truck there. I have an idea... I'll pull the 3.0 in my Ranger, and go to your place and swap them, and then put the ecoboost in the Danger Ranger... I think you'll like the 3.0 Vulcan... I know I'll like the ecoboost... :jester:

As for the Aussies, they got the coolest Nissan utes that make the Titan look like a weakling... I'd take the Nissan Patrol over a Toyota ute. That's if I had a choice. If not, I'd be happy with a solid axle equipped Toyota ute...

The 3.0L was a good engine (I had one in my '99 4WD Ranger) but was dropped from the lineup years ago. Simple, robust pushrod V6. Toyota dropped their 3.0L six too. I get about the same mileage with my MUCH heavier 4-Door 4.0L Ranger now that I got with my 3.0L Ranger. Both had/have 3.73 gears. The earlier pushrod 4.0L engines were thirstier, but seemed to have more grunt. The one I test drove before buying my 3.0L (both new on the lot in '99) had MUCH more on the bottom than my 2011 4.0L (although less on top). I only got a tad better mileage out of my 2.3L I4 2003 Mazda B2300 (Ranger in disguise). It was actually pretty quick when I revved the piss out of it. EXTREMELY problematic, and NO bottom end however. That was a lightweight, strippy 2-door regular cab 2WD too. Same 3.73 gears.

Plugs on 4.0L engines are a bit tough to change. On my wife's Explorer, they were all relatively easy, except for the #4 (DS front) plug. Because of the location of the AC compressor and the odd angle of that plug hole, it's a BEAR to get a plug threaded in right. Had to put a steel insert in that bore after buggering up the threads. Damn alluminum cylinder heads...:(

I've got a '10 Lariat with navigation, h/c seats and everything else. It now has 48k on it and has never seen the shop for anything.

Mine has the 5.4 (turbo v6 wasn't aval). With the heavy duty tow package, 3.55's, 4x4, and oversize grips I'm getting 13.5-14 depending on how I drive which is usually pretty hard.

Great trucks and I've always been a Dodge/Jeep man.

[snip]

You may not be able to buy these new Fords in Australia without getting raped......................but over the last two+ decades you HAVE been able to get the good Toyotas that were never sold in the US. I'd be driving a solid front axle equipped 4.2L diesel 4WD Toyota if I could...:cheers:

How about a land cruiser v8 turbo diesel with solid front axle - we can do a swap haha.

Its your thread but its really temping to make a bunch of "my cummins is better" comments

My saw hauler.

does a lot more than haul saws

IMG_1411.jpg

Hey nice what's done to it? Here's mine it's an 01

149274_1500525724181_1565327202_31321073_4085212_n.jpg

I also have a 99 ranger 3.0 that's my daily driver. I love the rangers this is my second one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were to ever own a truck with only 6 cylinders it would be a Cummins. Otherwise give me 8. I like the color though!

In my case, Ford stands for Fu***** Oakies Really Digum and it sure fits me to a tee. As far a the gas mileage goes, my Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner was a pig when it came to fuel mileage. I had the 6 speed manual trans and the 4.0L V-6 and I never got over 19MPG on the highway, 15 MPG in town.

The technology in this drivetrain package is amazing. Twin watercooled turbo's, variable valve timing, direct injection, 10 to 1 compression ratio with up to 15lbs of boost from the turbo's all on 87 octane fuel ! The torque curve is almost flat from 1500rpm to 5200 rpm with a peak torque of 420 lbs ft. I do know that's not even close to a Cummins, Chevy or Ford diesel, but that kind of performance out of a 3.5L gas engine is pretty good.

The tranmission is a 6 speed automatic with a manual override for towing. I chose the 3.13 rearend ratio for max economy with a electric locking differential. It turns 1600rpm @ 70mph. the max towing weight is 8400lbs with this set up. The max towing weight is with the 3.73 axle @ 11,300 lbs. A tranny cooler and electric brake controller are standard with any tow package. I really don't tow anything so the max towing set up was useless for me.

So far, this truck has exceeded my expectations. What it will be like in the future, nobody knows. That's why I purchased the 100k service and extended warranty from Ford. Now if I could only figure out all that SYNC stuff.........

Impressive specs!!!

Ford has (Europe)/will (USA) a 1.0L 3 cyl will much of those same goodies. Supposed to do 50 mpg with decent power. Of course in a sub 2000 lb vehicle. At-a-boy Ford.

You mean to tell me this ecoboost engine has turbos on it??

You mean to tell me this ecoboost engine has turbos on it??

Yep. All the EcoBoost engines are turbocharged. That's where the 'boost' comes in. Unlike many other marketing gimic names (such as calling EVERYTHING "Turbo" in the '90s, regardless of whether it had a turbocharger, or was even something that COULD be turbocharged.........think "TurboTax" and "Jonsered 2139 Turbo"), the EcoBoost name actually has some meaning. Eco is for the greenies (clean emissions and better fuel economy......

BTW-----you can go into the "settings" menu in your Tapatalk app and deselect the "signiture" option. That way your posts don't all have "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk" at the end....:D

Congratulations man, thats a nice truck. I bought a new Ford as well, I opted for the 5 litre and extended cab 4x4, it is a sweet ride as well, I have a smile on my face whenever I drive it. Tons of power and smooth and quiet on the highway. Ford is definitely doing a great job in the truck department. Enjoy your truck.

The sticker was a little over 44k. With tax & license fees it was a little over 38k. I paid for the service and extended warranty services out of my pocket. The spray-on bedliner was $300 and the sidesteps I just put on were $695. My next purchase will be some all weather floormats.

Congrats on the new truck, they are really nice. The Ecoboost run best on premium fuel, although it will run on 87 octane. The best fuel mileage and power will be with 91-93 octane.

Sorry, im not here a lot. i live on CF.

Not too much done, just a p-pump and some little things.

wbu? whats your CF handle? Mines the same.

Did you do a p pump swap or is it a 12v?

My 01 has..
Quadzilla adrenaline
Midwest injection hot rod vp pump
Raptor 150 fuel pump with 1/2 lines
Built auto trans
DIY traction bars
5" exhaust with muffler
Glow shift gauges
Bhaf
18x10 wheels
Lock up switch
Custom painted valve cover

61764_1422014081439_1565327202_31169290_553374_n.jpg

Hence the name PLMCRZY. Liked the old mopar colors.

Run high 13s on slicks

Dyno'd just a lil over 400hp and 850ft torque

It's currently all apart getting head work, studs, injectors, and a s469 turbo. Should be a fun street rod.

Btw I was banned along time ago from CF lol.

Back