my newest invention, Log splitter with a hopper!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've never seen one before, but I think it would be just as quick as a processor, And cheaper than a live deck. I think one could even be added to any wedge on end splitter. Just need something to keep logs off the cylinder rod. I'm thinking a plate that traveled with the rod. Thoughts?? I have a 17 foot boat trailer, was think of building some kind of processor and this idea came to mind. Hand feed firewood length logs into hopper then split, or have helper feed hopper and stack splits while you operate controls non stop.20151217_203737.jpg

I don't see how that would be any faster than my splitter next to my wagon??

standard.jpg

My helper keeps a block right on the edge of the wagon and I roll & split, it goes extremely fast!

SR

standard.jpg

My helper keeps a block right on the edge of the wagon and I roll & split, it goes extremely fast!

SR
Nice set up, but someone has to be there at all times to feed it. The idea I have could be done alone, and still be really fast. It probably wouldn't work on any diameter log though, it would have to be built for large or small or have some adjustments. Also it might eliminate injuries, you wouldn't have any body parts near the moving parts.

066 - I use my log lift as sort of a hopper, it'll hold 2 to 6 chunks easily, doesn't matter if they're different sizes, crooked, etc. Then it'll work on a 24" dia. chunk too. I think your hopper would need nice straight almost same size wood, and when you don't have those, it would be in the way. Just my 2 cents. I'm always alone splitting, my splitter works from either side, when the lift is down, I can stand on it. Don't give up with new ideas though, just because a few of us on here wouldn't use it - Theres always a place for the next great invention -

I see a couple of possible problems with the hopper design. First, I think loading the wood in the hopper is going to be mighty hard on the ole back. Every stick of wood you place in the hopper is going to make each lift higher and higher. I dont like the ideal of having to lift anything over waist high. Second, different size wood is going to fall out of the hopper onto the beam at different heights. Meaning if you have a small round fall out of the hopper, the next round can fall partway out, which would interfer with the pusher plate of the cyl. Even with a plate on top I think you will have problems because the cyl would have to be fully retracted before the next round could drop and if the round that drops is smaller than the push plate, well the next round will drop part way out also. You could possibly put the wedge on the cyl and make it work, This way, evn if the next round does drop, the wedge would just split it also. But then you could have pieces falling out that need resplitting but you cant put them back on the splitter because the next round has already fallen into place. The hopper can be made to work, but I think it might take a little more fabrication than it looks like it would.

Nice set up, but someone has to be there at all times to feed it. The idea I have could be done alone, and still be really fast.

Unless you have one heck of a big hopper, that just isn't so.....and how much lifting does the hopper require?? Someone has to lift the rounds up there...

My helper lines rounds up on the back of my wagon, if they aren't too big, they go two deep, so my wagon in MUCH less lifting (as in NO lifting on big rounds) and holds just as many or more rounds than a hopper. PLUS, I cut the logs into rounds "right over the wagon", so there's no back breaking lifting going on there either...

When I split alone, I line up the splits on the back of my wagon myself, BUT it's quite a bit of splitting before I can't reach any of them to roll onto the splitter and have to move any to where I can reach them.

BTW, I have seen a few different designs of a system where gravity rolls the rounds down to the splitter that worked pretty good. I'd do something like that, but it's just not a big enough improvement over what I'm doing now.

SR

I see a couple of possible problems with the hopper design. First, I think loading the wood in the hopper is going to be mighty hard on the ole back. Every stick of wood you place in the hopper is going to make each lift higher and higher. I dont like the ideal of having to lift anything over waist high. Second, different size wood is going to fall out of the hopper onto the beam at different heights. Meaning if you have a small round fall out of the hopper, the next round can fall partway out, which would interfer with the pusher plate of the cyl. Even with a plate on top I think you will have problems because the cyl would have to be fully retracted before the next round could drop and if the round that drops is smaller than the push plate, well the next round will drop part way out also. You could possibly put the wedge on the cyl and make it work, This way, evn if the next round does drop, the wedge would just split it also. But then you could have pieces falling out that need resplitting but you cant put them back on the splitter because the next round has already fallen into place. The hopper can be made to work, but I think it might take a little more fabrication than it looks like it would.
All logs would be loaded from the top, more lifting . yes, I thought of the small log allowing next log to partially drop in . Just wouldn't work with small ones. Could have one section at the bottom fold up so you could feed 1 at a time.

All logs would be loaded from the top, more lifting . yes, I thought of the small log allowing next log to partially drop in . Just wouldn't work with small ones. Could have one section at the bottom fold up so you could feed 1 at a time.
If your going to have to feed one log at a time, whats the point of having a hopper?

standard.jpg

SR
Sawyer Rob i use a very similar set up but once i cant reach any furthe i use a hookaroon or a boat hook to pull the rounds to me, hope this helps brother

standard.jpg

SR

I do it sort of similar as you.

When I am bucking up the rounds, they go into my bucket on the tractor. then I just dump them into my dump trailer which is sitting right next to my SuperSplit. When it is full, I just tilt it up and the rounds just keep rolling to the back. With the trailer tilted up and the rear gate closed is the perfect height for grabbing them.

You do need to chain the tongue of the trailer to something and put wheel chocks in font and behind the wheels to keep it from moving on you!

My wagon does have a lift in it, I just choose to nit lift it, for safety reasons. Also the sides do come off my wagon, so I can move the splitter around the wagon and reach nearly all of the rounds that way. The splitter has to be moved anyway, so it's easy to just drive it up or around a little.

SR

I plan to use rollers to feed my 36" splitter. I have a bunch that are 24" wide and 8" long. Thinking I will just set roller in my dump trailer first and see how well they roll as I lift the dump. Then make a table that height. I will be loading them with my tractor anyway.

I've looked at used live bottom trailers on-line to use as a hopper. I think dropping rounds might damage the floor, although the ones that are affordable look nonfunctional already. But you get the idea. What about those hand crank pickup bed unloaders? Maybe rig a hydraulic motor. Or three side by side 18" conveyor belts on a horizontal frame ten foot long for rounds, or on a farm running gear?

I ran a zip line type cable system between two large trees, and added a hoist on pulleys that run on the cable. Im able to grab a block from my cutting pile, hoist up the log and down the zip line to the splitter. Heres a pic of it before I positioned the splitter.

Ok pic wouldnt load from my phone..Ill post a pic from my computer tomorrow.

Back