my newest invention, Log splitter with a hopper!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a problem getting logs close to the splitter. I have tractors and stuff. I just think it would be quicker if you could just load a hopper and have the logs drop into position without having to touch them again, especially if you have 2 people. We have a lot of fencelines, with trees that are 8-14 inch range. They should all be cut down, but it takes so long to split them. I'm thinking you could fill a pickup or trailer with rounds, 1 guy could stand up in there and feed the hopper, then height wouldn't be an issue. And 1 guy could just sit or stand there and cycle the splitter( if it would work ) I would need a 4 way too. My problem is my splitter is wedge on ram and wouldn't work.
I was even thinking I could modify some old scaffolding into a hopper and just back the splitter under it. Thinking it would hold like 6 logs.

My Speeco used to be wedge on ram too. Torch, steel and welder and now it's push plate on ram. I split onto a conveyor. Lots of pics of my converted Speeco on here. Real time saver for me. Lots of the European splitters and processors use hopper to feed the machines.

066blaster:
We have a lot of fencelines, with trees that are 8-14 inch range. They should all be cut down, but it takes so long to split them.
Perfect size for a SuperSplit. Modify it in some way to take it in the field. I've always wanted to put a nursery wagon running gear under mine to move it around, with the steer wheels under the engine so the tongue is not in the way. Canton's idea is way cheaper if you have the tools. Wish I could load a video of the SS off my desk top but it isn't happening.

With my setup, I no longer have to bend over to work firewood. I cut the logs standing up on a sawhorse made of other logs, trolley them over to the splitter, then stack them on a pallet on a table. Once my pallet carousel gets here, all I have to do is spin the pallet around to stack the other side.
20151220_154829.jpg 20151220_154743.jpg

The zipline ideal looks like a pretty good ideal if you always haul your wood and dump in the same spot. Not so good if you have to move your splitter to another site. I thin I like my little boom and winch mounted on the splitter. I have a 20ft long control cable to operate the winch and its barely strong enough to pick one end of a small log up off the ground for bucking. Lets see if i have a pic.0601130843.jpg

I can take the little winch and pull up a decent size log right beside the splitter for bucking. It saves on making many trips getting a single round. I do have to be careful with what I try to winch up. The winch is stronger than its mount. The mount is strong enough to pickup a 4ftx 24in round, but not winch up a 4ft dia log.

I don't know what the other guys did but I found a small custom built corn silage wagon that is pretty much exactly what I was planning to build. I p1id $200 for it I think. Already has the hydraulic drive on it that fits my splitter. I haven't hooked it up yet because I already have my wood split for the year. Plan on cutting the sides down or at leats taking the top rack off. I also bought some more rollers.
IMG_20160423_152229.jpg IMG_20160423_195713.jpg IMG_20160424_094718.jpg

Latest posts

Back