My non-expert Dolmar/Makita observations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just came in from the garage and the Makita is setting in a puddle of bar oil. My experience involves three HD ex rentals and a used dolmar 6400 purchased from the AS classifieds. Not the first time I've seen this, yeah I know all about the green upgraded lines. I've been through that a few years ago and the parts distributor in this area proved to be quite poor----I now use a sponsor in NY for parts.
Maybe these saws are really stout and well designed motor wise but under the clutch cover the oiler plate seems to be prone to leaking even with good oil lines and what gives with all the slop in the bar mounts? Even with a new Oregon bar there's all kinds of vertical play, just lift the bar up and tighten but it seems like the bar studs need a bigger shoulder. My el-cheapo homeowner Husky saws seem to have far better quality in the bar mount/clutch/oil pump area.

I like to tinker with saws and am not an expert but if I earned a living with a saw I don't think this is a model that would be in the arsenal. It's a cheap way to get decent cc's but it comes at a price.

These saws kind of make me think of the older British sports cars that only a special breed could come to love.

I didn't post this to offend the loyal Dolmar crowd, these are just my real life observations.

I have 5 Dolmars and none of them have ever leaked bar oil, and they get used hard, not sure what you have going on there?

Some saws exhibit this trait. When pressure builds up in the oil tank, and can't escape, it will push bar oil when the saw is stored.

I try and make a habit to loosen the oil cap and re-tighten before I put them away. 'Burp the baby' so to speak. :msp_wink:

Never noticed any excessive play with the bar studs. Did you ever consider these saws had some abuse being rental units? Honestly the 7900 is built like most any pro saw, simple and straight forward.

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express

Never noticed any excessive play with the bar studs. Did you ever consider these saws had some abuse being rental units?

I wondered this too.

End of the day though - no one should take offence to the OPs' post - its an opinion & we all have one. As much as I can appreciate qualities of my 346 and 026, when I want a 50cc saw I almost always reach for my Dolmar 5100 first...it all comes down to your own personal likes and needs.

Like Andy & the others, Ive never seen any excessive play or anything to indicate poor quality in any of my Dolmars. I also have not had any trouble with oil leaking.

I have had some gas leaking on my 7300 because of the pressure build up & what i believe is a faulty tank vent, but I have thus far not changed it as it doesnt leak when running/idling etc, its only when left to sit after a day's work and I rarely leave them full of gas anyway.

I have five good sized Dolmars and two of them leak - the other three don't. I never worked on the oilers.

Same Here - DCS 520

I have experienced the same thing with my DCS 520. It ALWAYS leaks the bar oil out when not used and has done it since new. I also had a second DCS 520 a few years ago and it would drain out too.

I will have to try the pressure in the tank thing and loosen the cap before storing it as suggested earlier in the thread.

I have experienced the same thing with my DCS 520. It ALWAYS leaks the bar oil out when not used and has done it since new. I also had a second DCS 520 a few years ago and it would drain out too.

I will have to try the pressure in the tank thing and loosen the cap before storing it as suggested earlier in the thread.

That one will still piddle oil... 520's, 540's just piddle... But they will oil the hell out of a 16 or 18" bar!!!
I just make sure they take up the lower tier of the saw tree... Dandy little saws...

well so far my Dolmar ps420 & makita 6401, have not had any issues with leakage.
no issue with bar nuts, saws seem to be built very well, and are among the most trusted saws I own.

:popcorn:
I'm interested in any feedback on those dolmar saws. Haven't tried them and wondering if we should buy a few. Our saws get a lot of abuse and I don't know yet how they could manage it.

New and old

Have a brand new 6401 and a home depot, bought off of Craigs list from a guy that owned it. Wouldn't oil when i got it...put a 79cc BB kit and HD filter, as well as all new green oiler parts, seems to be fine..no leaks from either...haven't been run an awful lot, but seem to oil well...now my crapsman like to bath in bar oil in it's case.....rsbhunter

I'm interested in any feedback on those dolmar saws. Haven't tried them and wondering if we should buy a few. Our saws get a lot of abuse and I don't know yet how they could manage it.

Only one way to find out... Pick up a 6400 and see what it'll take...

Worst leaking that I've seen was with a PS-340 I had, but then that series was known to oil aggressively. None of my current ones show this tendency.

FWIW, the leakiest saws I had were the Husqvarna 50 and 61. I just figured since they were from around the same time as my 340, that was just the way it was.

To the OP I would suggest you not make all your assumptions based on saws that might possibly have had the living you-know-what beat out of them before you got them.

Buy a new or almost new saw, it may make a wee bit of difference.

I discovered the source of the leak-----it was the screw that holds the oiler plate in place. The saw had some kind of mongrel screw and didn't hold the plate correctly. When I tapped (w/o drilling) the hole out for a new screw even though being careful and using a bottom tap a pathway to the oil tank was opened up. Hopefully I've got it plugged. I've had multiple issues with these plates in the past. Yes they work but certainly not what I'd call a robust design.

I noticed that my Makita 520i was leaking bar oil when it was not being used. Now it just quite oiling. I haven't taken it apart to find the problem. Good thing the Stihl 026 came along!

I noticed that my Makita 520i was leaking bar oil when it was not being used. Now it just quite oiling. I haven't taken it apart to find the problem. Good thing the Stihl 026 came along!

It's your worm gear...
And I'd rather run a 520 than an 026...
I've had both...

I just came in from the garage and the Makita is setting in a puddle of bar oil. .....

Basically all saws will do that now and then, if the conditions are "right".

The Dolmar 7900 "family" was known to make a mess of oil under the clutch cover in the early days, but that should not be an issue on saws newer than 2005 (or so)?

Remember to open the oil cap to let any pressure out, before storage.

I've had multiple issues with these plates in the past. Yes they work but certainly not what I'd call a robust design.

What issues have you had with the plates? I honestly don't see how you could have issues with a stamped piece of metal. The screw is only there for convenience, on most older saws the plates aren't fastened.

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express

Back