My non-expert Dolmar/Makita observations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the 6400. You will not be sorry.

I have two 7900's. They are fine chainsaws.

I have Stihls and Huskies too and the Dolmars are just as good.

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to dig into it.

I'll give the 026 a try. What didn't you like about the 026?

I've got both the 520 and a couple 026's and I'll still pick up my 520 first... Just seems to get bar speed up quicker and has more power in the cut. I'm sure there's 026's out there stronger than my 520 but I've had 6-8 come through this summer and even after fresh rebuilds and muff mods I still woulda taken my 520 over them.

Yeah my 520 and my 9010 both leak bar oil. I started noticing it more this winter as they sat on news paper on the garage floor for a while... Surprised nobody has suggested the obvious... Drain your gas mix and bar oil after your seasonal cutting is done. Refill when saw is needed in action again. If you're only going to be a week or two in between cutting just put a section of your sundays newspaper under it. The news paper makes good kindling to get the fire going anyhow! :biggrin:

You guys are starting to make me second guess my decision to buy the 6400 today

yeah right! don't 2nd guess that one... I cut circles around other 60cc's saws with my makita 6401... Could be b/c I keep my chain sharp, and could be the 7900 top end... Either way that saw will make you very happy!

I wouldn't tell anyone to run from the Dolmar/Makita brand, but I'd be a bit cautious about attempting to convert a friend or relative to switch from a Husky/Stihl loyalty.

All my saws were purchased used and yes the rentals have had it tough. My little Husky 345 has been dragged under the loader bucket and doesn't have a brake anymore and it continues to to be a fine little saw. It is my opinion and nothing more that "MY Dolmars" have had issues getting the bar oil to the proper location------the chain. I have no intention of getting rid of them, but they'll need a bit more time to prove themselves. I don't own any Stihl saws right now (once owned new ms250 & ms290). Had a really abused ms460 once that had a carb issue I didn't resolve before selling, the construction of that saw really impressed me.

Not saying Dolmar makes a bad saw, but I've certainly had issues with mine. The one I'm working on now is headed to my BIL and I'm going to tell him to run it at least a year before I'll accept payment.

I wouldn't tell anyone to run from the Dolmar/Makita brand, but I'd be a bit cautious about attempting to convert a friend or relative to switch from a Husky/Stihl loyalty.

All my saws were purchased used and yes the rentals have had it tough. My little Husky 345 has been dragged under the loader bucket and doesn't have a brake anymore and it continues to to be a fine little saw. It is my opinion and nothing more that "MY Dolmars" have had issues getting the bar oil to the proper location------the chain. I have no intention of getting rid of them, but they'll need a bit more time to prove themselves. I don't own any Stihl saws right now (once owned new ms250 & ms290). Had a really abused ms460 once that had a carb issue I didn't resolve before selling, the construction of that saw really impressed me.

Not saying Dolmar makes a bad saw, but I've certainly had issues with mine. The one I'm working on now is headed to my BIL and I'm going to tell him to run it at least a year before I'll accept payment.

That's all fine and good, but you're still basing your experience on what sounds like a few beat to hell saws, in fact it sounds like all of your saws have been beat to hell and not properly repaired. I find it odd the only you seemed to like had carb issues, my guess is the 460 had an air like making you think it had carb issues. :dizzy:

That's all fine and good, but you're still basing your experience on what sounds like a few beat to hell saws, in fact it sounds like all of your saws have been beat to hell and not properly repaired. I find it odd the only you seemed to like had carb issues, my guess is the 460 had an air like making you think it had carb issues. :dizzy:

Hey don't beat a guy up just cause he's running used saws... But I do agree that when you get a "good deal" on a rental saw you need to go through it and fix/repair what's needed. As for bar oiling problems... The leak is common on any worn saw in the right conditions... And if you're not getting enough bar oil, you need to fix the cause of the problem whether it be an oil line, worm gear, screws, plates, plugged oiling hole on your bar... etc etc etc...

If leaking bar oil is the least of your worries you'd be doing really well just to use the saw and drain the oil after use...

I have Husky 353, 346XP, 357xp, and a MMed 026. The 026 with MM definitely wakes up, but I still like my 353, 346, and MMed Makita 540.

I would like to add a 9010, red or blue, to my list of saws.

"That's all fine and good, but you're still basing your experience on what sounds like a few beat to hell saws, in fact it sounds like all of your saws have been beat to hell and not properly repaired. I find it odd the only you seemed to like had carb issues, my guess is the 460 had an air like making you think it had carb issues."

I sold the 460 to a member of AS who put a new carb on it and as far as I know it's still working-----now that saw had really seen some HARD use. It passed a vac test and with a new Meteor piston ran nice but wouldn't idle right. Didn't really need three 70+cc saws so I sold it at a fair price. I was impressed with the way that saw was built. The Dolmars are ok but just don't have me feelin' the love. The little homewner Husky saws have really impressed me and even used with clean air filters and cleaned up they might be junky to some but they sure do work nice.

Merry Christmas and safe cutting to all.

"That's all fine and good, but you're still basing your experience on what sounds like a few beat to hell saws, in fact it sounds like all of your saws have been beat to hell and not properly repaired. I find it odd the only you seemed to like had carb issues, my guess is the 460 had an air like making you think it had carb issues."

I sold the 460 to a member of AS who put a new carb on it and as far as I know it's still working-----now that saw had really seen some HARD use. It passed a vac test and with a new Meteor piston ran nice but wouldn't idle right. Didn't really need three 70+cc saws so I sold it at a fair price. I was impressed with the way that saw was built. The Dolmars are ok but just don't have me feelin' the love. The little homewner Husky saws have really impressed me and even used with clean air filters and cleaned up they might be junky to some but they sure do work nice.

Merry Christmas and safe cutting to all.

I feel the love... I use the snot out of these 2... Have never let me down...

250307d1346082752-workhorses-jpg

No puddles either...

Nah... the blue is way mo purdy! :wink: I just wish I had a blue 5030 or 6800 to go with the rest of my smurfs!
dolmarlog.jpg

Nah... the blue is way mo purdy! :wink: I just wish I had a blue 5030 or 6800 to go with the rest of my smurfs!
dolmarlog.jpg

The blue Dollies are only attractive when they sport the Dolmar black caps, otherwise that off-white tophat looks weird. Though still not as bad as Husky's 2-tone orange.

I always liked that photo. I have to find myself a good log and try that pose one day.

I do however, count a few more Maks and Dollies in your photo than your sig suggests.

The blue Dollies are only attractive when they sport the Dolmar black caps, otherwise that off-white tophat looks weird. Though still not as bad as Husky's 2-tone orange.

I always liked that photo. I have to find myself a good log and try that pose one day.

I do however, count a few more Maks and Dollies in your photo than your sig suggests.

That's cause the orange ones are mine...
:msp_sneaky:

The yellow 166 was Heimannm's and the 5100 and 6401 behind the rest are Ancy's...

Iowa is loaded with Dolmars!!!

And, according to the Dolmar 5105 manual and I quote:

Note:
After the saw has been turned off it is normal for residual chain oil to drip from the oil feed system, the guide bar and the chain for a time. This does not constitute a defect!
Place the saw on a suitable surface.

Again, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to copy a page to here, so I cut and paste. I really am a dumb adz!!:laugh:

Any of them thar' saws for sale cheap? My junky ole saws could use a little company. Tee Heee

Back