My non-expert Dolmar/Makita observations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or Red Green for that matter...
:msp_tongue:
;)

Terry Green was a big Dolmar Regional Manager (I think) that used to come on here from time to time and give us Dolmar updates. He was based in Atlanta, GA I believe. I doubt he is affiliated with Dolmar anymore, but he did send me a couple of free Dolmar hats about 10 years ago.

Your right, those pesky Dolmars leak bar oil. Especially the 166's, maybe ought to throw them all out for recycling. Better tell Lee.

Some saws do and some don't. Just put a rag or some kind of absorbant pad under the leakers. It can leak a bit for me if it's a good strong cutter. Nobody's perfect including saws.

I don't own any Dolmar/Makita saws, all my new saws are Stihl and they leak bar oil while setting from time to time as I believe all saws do to a certain extent. I always thought it was from a change in barometric pressure causing the oil to be pushed through the pump to the bar opening. Is that a crazy idea? I just sit them on a piece of cardboard and don't worry about it

Steve

I don't own any Dolmar/Makita saws, all my new saws are Stihl and they leak bar oil while setting from time to time as I believe all saws do to a certain extent. I always thought it was from a change in barometric pressure causing the oil to be pushed through the pump to the bar opening. Is that a crazy idea? I just sit them on a piece of cardboard and don't worry about it

Steve

The single Dolmar I have doesn't leak oil worse than other saws I have - but it does smell of fuel all the time, preventing me from having it in the car for long. Now, that isn't a big issue, as it doesn't "qualify" for riding there anyway - it stays in the shed at the cottage...

Stihl, Husqvanra, Dolmar etc etc. They all leak depending on the saw.
As far as the bar mount goes they are 9mm exactly like the Huskys and Jonsereds. If a 9mm bar is loose then I'd suggest your saws are a lot more flogged out than you think :D
Owned a few, played with even more, and never had a loose bar.

My "running " Dolmars are blue in color. The DCS401 and DCS540 both leak bar oil, but I've never "cracked the cap" to release pressure, so I'll give that a try. My 3120 is a leaker as well. I don't recall that anyone ever described a chainsaw as being sanitary, so I've not been bothered about it. The 401 became my favorite flyweight after a MM and retuning. The same treatment transformed the 540 from a sluggish (think ms290), average saw into a pretty aggressive "tweener". These were previous "tech" saws that were choked by EPA regs, but very well built.

As for the 026, if you have a rattle from a worn piston, its simply time to replace the piston. It IS a wear part.

My "running " Dolmars are blue in color. The DCS401 and DCS540 both leak bar oil, but I've never "cracked the cap" to release pressure, so I'll give that a try. My 3120 is a leaker as well. I don't recall that anyone ever described a chainsaw as being sanitary, so I've not been bothered about it. The 401 became my favorite flyweight after a MM and retuning. The same treatment transformed the 540 from a sluggish (think ms290), average saw into a pretty aggressive "tweener". These were previous "tech" saws that were choked by EPA regs, but very well built.

As for the 026, if you have a rattle from a worn piston, its simply time to replace the piston. It IS a wear part.

I know... I was poking fun at the cause of excessive skirt wear...:hmm3grin2orange:

I just came in from the garage and the Makita is setting in a puddle of bar oil. My experience involves three HD ex rentals and a used dolmar 6400 purchased from the AS classifieds. Not the first time I've seen this, yeah I know all about the green upgraded lines. I've been through that a few years ago and the parts distributor in this area proved to be quite poor----I now use a sponsor in NY for parts.
Maybe these saws are really stout and well designed motor wise but under the clutch cover the oiler plate seems to be prone to leaking even with good oil lines and what gives with all the slop in the bar mounts? Even with a new Oregon bar there's all kinds of vertical play, just lift the bar up and tighten but it seems like the bar studs need a bigger shoulder. My el-cheapo homeowner Husky saws seem to have far better quality in the bar mount/clutch/oil pump area.

I like to tinker with saws and am not an expert but if I earned a living with a saw I don't think this is a model that would be in the arsenal. It's a cheap way to get decent cc's but it comes at a price.

These saws kind of make me think of the older British sports cars that only a special breed could come to love.

I didn't post this to offend the loyal Dolmar crowd, these are just my real life observations.

I feel the inherent problem with ex-HD rental saws is the same with ex-rental cars and every other piece of equipment that goes through the rental process. "Don't be gentile, it's a rental" Every bonehead & their cousin have a whack at them and some high school kid making min. wage is fixing them. Caveat emptor. I am not saying they are all bad, just there is a risk of buying something that has not been taken care of like an "owner" would. You may end up with a good one, or one that should have been tossed a long time ago.

I picked up a rental dolkita too, and it has an air leak, and right now it is sitting without a bar in my garage waiting for a new impulse line and cylinder/case gasket. I have run it once, to cut a 28inch tree, and I love it, it has a ton more go than my redmax 4500, I would say that the oiler is a little overzealous, and I will need to turn it a bit, it definitely leaves a puddle after running, and I will try burping the fuel and oil tanks...

;)

Terry Green was a big Dolmar Regional Manager (I think) that used to come on here from time to time and give us Dolmar updates. He was based in Atlanta, GA I believe. I doubt he is affiliated with Dolmar anymore, but he did send me a couple of free Dolmar hats about 10 years ago.

I remember him...

I have a few shelves full of saws, all different brands. All the shelves are covered in bar oil.

I don't know why you'd worry about the bar plate, that little screw makes no difference once the bar is on.

Back