Narrow Kerf bar problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with the Woodland Pro narrow kerf bar fitting the saw properly?

I recently bought a 346 from NMurph and the saw is awesome and I'm very happy with it. He was great to deal with too.

I decided to try one of the Woodland Pro narrow kerf bar and chain combos from Baileys and I can't get the bar to go on the saw correctly. The bar mount lines up properly but the hole for the bar tensioner stud does not line up correctly. Basically the stud won't seat all the way into the bar hole so the bar doesn't line up with the sprocket or lay flush. It's not off by much but it's off enough so that it's not useable.
I double checked the catalog and the bar they sent me is shown to fit a 346 but I can't get it to work. It looks like I could probably file the bar tensioner hole on the bar a little bigger and it might work but I don't want to modify it and not be able to send it back. I know the bar is advertised as a "universal " mount but i'm wondering if I got one that was off or if it just doesn't fit what they say it does.
Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas? This is my first experience with a Woodland Pro bar and it hasn't been a good one so far.

The picture with the grey colored bar is how the bar tensioner stud should fit.
The picture with the black bar is the one I'm having problems with.

I'm sure Bailey's will make it right and I've never had a problem with the company. But, it's a pain to send it back and wait for a new one. I want to use it not send it back and start over.

Has anyone had any problems with the Woodland Pro narrow kerf bar fitting the saw properly?

Same bar, same problem. I wasn't too put out given that I paid only $20 for a B&C combo. A few strokes with a file and the bar fits fine. Actually, it was more than a few 'cause I had a couple bars to mod.

Still, it would be nice if the bar fit properly on a common saw (Husky 350).

Thanks for the replies. I'll hit it with the file and see how it turns out.
I'm not surprised with such a wide variety of saws this bar is supposed to fit. Definitely a good price on the bar though.

Looks like the culprit is some sort of combination bar mount pattern, not a pure "small Husky" one. This is not the first time such mounts resulted in trouble, and it won't be the last one.....

Also, I suspect those bars are of questionable quality, made in the far east?

I had the same problem with the same bar setup and didn't want to mess around calling Baileys for a ten dollar bar. Bar itself doesn't seem all that bad really. I wanted to try narrow kerf and see for myself how it worked, Ok but I went back to .325 full chisel.

Back