Narrowing down my decision on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simple Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have spent hours apon hours reading the chainsaw section over the last two weeks and I have learned a lot. The first thing I have learned is that I now have CAD even though I've never even purchased a cs in my entire life... yet!!

My wife and I purchased this home a couple years ago and it came with a wood stove. With the prices of electricity in my area it makes it cost effective to burn wood. My dad had given me an old poulan but it will barely cut a limb let alone anything of any size. So over the last couple years we have been buying wood at about $25 a truck load which is now up to around $45-$55. So I have decided to start cutting wood on my own land.

I started off with an idea of a Stihl MS290 just because Stihl is the "well known" brand in my area and the Stihl online pricing indicated it to be within my price range. I stopped in at a local Stihl dealer and looked at the 290 but the salesman suggested the ms 270 was as better saw. After that I decided to get on the net and do a lot of research to find what all of my options are.

What I have found is that you quickly fall into the thought of spending 'just a little more' and getting a little higher quality product. But where does this end!?! I have also found out that with the size range of up to 60cc is a tough market for a clear winner.

I came here trying to find out what saw would be the best for me and think I now just want one of each. lol :givebeer:

Well, I have plenty of time to make a decision and have narrowed down my list a little. Lucky for me there is a few Husqvarna, Stihl and a Dolmar dealer all close buy.

I think I have narrowed my choices down to one of the saws below in case anyone has comments. My budget is $450 to $500 :givebeer:

I have an uncle who is a husqvarna dealer and he's telling me the husky of course but he's being a mean old fart and won't sell it to me at cost. He even told me what cost was on it and I about fell over! :bang:

Stihl MS270 or 310 18" bar $409 (kind of like the idea of magnesium case on 270)

Husqvarna 359 or 346xp 18" bar $ -?

Dolmar 5100 18" bar price ?

But where does this end!?! I have also found out that with the size range of up to 60cc is a tough market for a clear winner.

I'd say it could end with a Stihl ms361. If those run as good as my ms360 like everyone says, but they have great av...then that's where it ends for you my friend. Buy your 361, delete your account on arboristsite.com and never worry about buying another saw. But if you stick around here for a while, you will own at least 3 more saws....just a friendly warning. Welcome.

Are you stuck on buying new? If you're not opposed to a nice used saw you might be able to get a higher quality saw for the same money or less. How about:
http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2507&cat=6

Use the rest of your budget on an extra chain, file guide, and files. Your going to need that stuff anyway. I can't believe your uncle won't cut you a deal. :chainsaw:

Wow Tax, that looks like a good buy from what little reading I have done in the last couple minutes. I may have to research that one a little more. It looks like this saw is even rebuildable when needed instead of just being thrown away.

rngrchad, yeah the MS361 is a nice saw and has a great reputation here but unfortunately, out of my price range.

Yeah I'm looking to buy new.

Yeah I know it but I think he just doesn't want to mess with the hassle. He lives 800 miles away from me and probably doesn't want to ship it. I shouldn't have put him in that position anyways... He's a good uncle and even gave me a real nice knife once that is in my pocket right this very minute.

Last edited:
I know what you're going through. I just spent the last couple of months agonizing over the same sort of thing. A little bit different as I was looking for a saw for the firewood business I'm starting.

I finally settled on the following; what's the job, and how much is the saw going to be running?

What's the job: Diameter and type of treed you're going to be cutting. If you're not cutting big stuff you won't need a big saw. Hardwood is tougher to cut than soft of course, but chain sharpness has a lot to do with how much effort it takes to get through the tree. Invest in a good file and learn how to use it.

How much will the saw be running: If you're going to be cutting all day, everyday, you'll need a pro saw. If all you're going to put down is a few cords for your personal use, running the saw a couple weekends a month, then a farm/ranch grade saw will be plenty. Try not to get caught up in all the pro talk here. Some of the people here are full on pro's who are out in the woods everyday. Their equipment is made to take that work schedule. It is the best of the best. Do you have to go that route? Well, if you can afford it, go for it.

The most common answer to your question has been; go with the saws from the closest dealer you can get great support from.

I have the 346XP with the 18" but you can run a 16" or even get a 20" for it. If you prefer Stihl look at the MS260Pro or Dolmar has the 5100. If you think you will need a bigger saw than a 50cc than all these brands make good saws in the 60-75cc range(just look to spend more). Good luck with your decision because all the saws are so close it is a tough call.

I know what you're going through. I just spent the last couple of months agonizing over the same sort of thing. A little bit different as I was looking for a saw for the firewood business I'm starting.

I finally settled on the following; what's the job, and how much is the saw going to be running?

What's the job: Diameter and type of treed you're going to be cutting. If you're not cutting big stuff you won't need a big saw. Hardwood is tougher to cut than soft of course, but chain sharpness has a lot to do with how much effort it takes to get through the tree. Invest in a good file and learn how to use it.

How much will the saw be running: If you're going to be cutting all day, everyday, you'll need a pro saw. If all you're going to put down is a few cords for your personal use, running the saw a couple weekends a month, then a farm/ranch grade saw will be plenty. Try not to get caught up in all the pro talk here. Some of the people here are full on pro's who are out in the woods everyday. Their equipment is made to take that work schedule. It is the best of the best. Do you have to go that route? Well, if you can afford it, go for it.

The most common answer to your question has been; go with the saws from the closest dealer you can get great support from.

what he said

Are you sure you can't squeak out another $100 in the name of CAD. If you can, then get the MS361.

I would go with the Stihl 270 or the 290. You will be only .4bhp lower with the 270 but a bit lighter. The 290 will have a bit more power (always nice). After a while you will be wanting more and more power once you are used to that saw. Then you move up to the bigger ones.

"delete your account on arboristsite.com and never worry about buying another saw. But if you stick around here for a while, you will own at least 3 more saws....just a friendly warning." from rngrchad
:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

359 24" bar and 20" bar two RSC chains right at 600.

361 20" bar and rsc chain 600.

the choice is clear ass the market. the 359 compares closer to 361 then most realize.

hey man, i climb trees for a living. meaning i run a saw daily.

go see your uncle, pay what he wants you to pay under the condition he replaces the catalytic muffler with another muffler (on him) the moment you hand him the money.

come back here and do some thorough research on the 359. by taking the catmuffler off that saw you just bought the hottest saw in the 59cc class.

i wont lie to you man. i own both the ms361 and that 359. i like the husky better. do the simple mods to this saw and you got yourself a runner.

you will be keeping money in the family and besides if you dont buy from your uncle you can forget about ever asking him a saw related question ever again, right?

win win, no?

good luck and dont let them talk you into a 270 or 290 if you can get that 3fiddy9 homeboy.

Last edited:
I think it would be well worth the money. If you use it just for firewood it will last you a lifetime. The 361 would be a good saw. But if not go with the 290 or 270.

Yeah I'm sure. I'm on a strict budget with this. The wife, errr... I mean the financial director has already laid out a strict budget for the purchase req. :chatter:

if you think your uncle is a good dealer, buy from him.

that means Husky.

when he needs a hand down the road, tell him your price per hour.

nothing wrong with seperating business from relationships.

What to buy?

Looks like you got it all nailed down. The only saw on your list that maybe would not be on mine (IMHO) is the 310. I believe the 346 would likely be comparably priced and a little better saw. The 359 has a huge following here, and are rumored to respond well to mods (just in case you keep your AS account) though they may be harder to find. The 361 is a very good firewood saw and will run a 24" b&c if the need arises. If I were to start my collection of saws over though I would skip the 60cc saws and buy a 260/270/346/5100 first and then add a 70cc 372/440/460/7900 later if needed or wanted. My first saw in your position would be 346xp!!!!

I'm for the stihls, I liked my 290 a lot. for the average firewood guy you wont be disappointed!!! I got power hungry, came down to the dolmar 7900 or the 460. gave me a head ache every time I thought I made a decision. bought the 460 after running both have'nt looked back yet.

That John Deere badged Efco that Tax pointed out is the bargain. You'll have that much or more in a 270 or 290, so might as well have the extra HP to go along with the weight.

Its a :censored: shame that you can't get a deal on a Husky.

Latest posts

Back