Narrowing down my decision on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for a JDcs 56. Its a pro grade 56cc and there are real good deals on them out there. If you need more saw later your wife will be a little easier to deal with because you saved allot of coin on the first one. Plus all the money you saved on heat will have to go somewhere.

As of right now I think I'm leaning towards the John Deere CS62 or the Dolmar 5100S
I can get the 5100S locally from a reputable dealer for $444 which includes a case and that comes with a 20" bar fitted with a 3/8" chain. Or I can get the Dolmar 510 with 18" bar and case for $379.

I have read good things about the Dolmars but does anyone have anymore input?

Thanks

I have spent hours apon hours reading the chainsaw section over the last two weeks and I have learned a lot. The first thing I have learned is that I now have CAD even though I've never even purchased a cs in my entire life... yet!! :kilt:

I stopped in at a local Stihl dealer and looked at the 290 but the salesman suggested the ms 270 was as better saw. :agree2:

Stihl MS270 or 310 18" bar $409

Your dealer is right about the 270. The 310 is ol' reliable, but antiquate, clunky and heavy compared to the 270/280. Do a search on the 270 here and get a better feel for it. Here is a post I made earlier today: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1402230#post1402230

You'll have no regrets buying the 270; it is one smooth and powerful firewood saw. When the day comes that you need more power, you'll know it. Then just go a bigger saw. :chainsaw:

I have bought tools in the past that I thought are sufficient for my task. Then a year down the road I always regretted not buying the next level up because the marginally suited tool is just not quite good for the larger task. Yet it would be only a bit more expensive to start with.
I do believe in buying pro quality even for non-professional use. This way I buy it once and it is more likely to be up to my next task (that I am not even aware of now).
I would suggest, buy a Stihl 260 Pro and later, if you need it, buy a larger Stihl or Husky. And just do it, stewing in doubts will only aggravate you and you will still never find the perfect answer.
P.S. But I have to say, that 361 for $375 looks extremely appealing! I am not sure I could pass that up if I was looking for a saw.

Last edited:
As of right now I think I'm leaning towards the John Deere CS62 or the Dolmar 5100S
I can get the 5100S locally from a reputable dealer for $444 which includes a case and that comes with a 20" bar fitted with a 3/8" chain. Or I can get the Dolmar 510 with 18" bar and case for $379.

That case costs him about $20. I think $424 is a halfway decent price on a 5100S these days. I have a feeling the $389 5100S is a thing of the past.

My dealer sells the 510 for $299 and the case for $25, so $379 sounds high to me.

Did you ever say where in the "midwest" you are?

I'm located in Indiana.

Yeah the 260 is a great saw and has a great following but I think there are saws just as good for less from what I have been reading.

Yeah I think the JD is my 1st pick and the Dolmae 5100s is 2nd.

Hopefully I can order the CS62 tomorrow.

Looks like the Dolmar 5100 might be having some quality issues from what I read a few posts back. The Dolmar dealer I spoke with today said he sold a lot more of the 510's.

What about the John Deere Saws (Efco) is this a respected & reliable company that will be around for years to come?

I am starting to see the reason for the "big two" logic...Maybe I'll be better off with a Stihl MS270 or the Husqvarna 346xp, 359.

Why do decisions have to be so hard!!!!!:chainsaw:

Jonsered 2165 all the way, best price on a new top quality mid-range saw, go with an 18" bar with proper non-safety chisel chain, it's 65cc motor is a ripper, smooth at full power, cuts fast and unstressed. Not as light as a 60cc stihl, maybe a pound difference, but with an 18" bar you're balanced and not worrying about weight at all. Some put in the bigger 72cc piston, cylinder and carb for more bite and bark with a 20" - 22" bar, but buying new, you'd get the dearer 2171 instead. Truth is the 65cc has power to burn, working in the bush I find a stihl 20" 044 and an 18" 2165 basically the same performers tree for tree, I like the jonsered better for it's fatter handles and smoother vibes

I am starting to see the reason for the "big two" logic...Maybe I'll be better off with a Stihl MS270 or the Husqvarna 346xp, 359.

Why do decisions have to be so hard!!!!!:chainsaw:

It is not, the 346xp is the lone star among those!

Last edited:
It is not, the 346xp is the lone star among those!

^ Yep! I like mine..
Commencing shameless exploitation of my 346xp picture now:

rngrchad

Doug , looks like you own a 346 and a 361 ,big difference in power ?? and how much weight difference ?

The 361 has quite a bit more power to go with a pound or two more weight. It's much better-suited for felling & bucking than the 346, which is basically an awesome, quick-handling saw for limbing and smaller wood. If you can have only one saw, the MS361 is a much better choice.

simple man

Dolmar is not having quality issues at least were I am at I am not seeing it! Where in the midwest are you?

choosing a saw

I hunt with a 45-70 rifle, I drive a Buick Roadmaster with hot V-8 those came with, I like to drive a Kenworth with at least a 500 HP engine, when I make chili I usually put in several jalapeno peppers, not just 1 or 2. So you can see, that I want a saw that will be powerful and do it's job with ease. A Stihl 460 or even a 660 is my next saw. My old 041 is getting very old, needs a replacement, it won't be with something less powerful. You probably won't complain about having power later on, so spend a few bucks now and get the big one.

I have an uncle who is a husqvarna dealer and he's telling me the husky of course but he's being a mean old fart and won't sell it to me at cost. He even told me what cost was on it and I about fell over! :bang:

Were you shocked that he is trying to make a living, or how little money he lives on after the bills are paid?

I live in Indiana and the reason I was refrring to quality issues on the Dolmar 5100 was because the thread a few posts back.

lol

Well, with that analogy.... I hunt with what caliber that best suits my needs for the intended game. If it's squirrel or other small game then it's the 17HMR, I like the .223 for coyotes and fox, the 25-06 for whitetail, and the 30-06 for hogs and anything bigger then a 200# whitetail. I drive a new Ford F150 4x4 4-door because it's very reliable and does everything I need it to do. Sure I could have bought the Ford F350 diesel but that is way overkill for my 3500# 22 foot camper or my 5x8 utility trailer. When I make chili I like about 4 table spoons of tobaso sauce in the pot because if I'm not sweating while I eat my chili then I didn't cook it right. But, I sure as heck don't want to lug around a 25 pound huge saw when I'm just cutting firewood for the house and felling and trees 20" or smaller.

Everyone always like to say to get the biggest available but sometimes that can be over-kill and money down the drain. Now I do believe it buying a tad bigger then you think you will need but not that much bigger. lol

I appreciate your advice just as much as the next guy though.

Were you shocked that he is trying to make a living, or how little money he lives on after the bills are paid?

I was shocked that he would not sale his nephew a saw at his cost considering he has more money than he knows what to do with....:clap:

Latest posts

Back