Narrowing down my decision on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad you have to spend more money on a brand new saw....

That's okay. It's kinda like when I bought my new Ford, I brought it straight home, threw a lift kit on it and pulled the factory tires off and a new set of mud tires went on. It's just part of modding it to fit my needs. :chainsaw:

That's okay. It's kinda like when I bought my new Ford, I brought it straight home, threw a lift kit on it and pulled the factory tires off and a new set of mud tires went on. It's just part of modding it to fit my needs. :chainsaw:
Yeah, but you said before, you had a tight saw budget. I don't know how much a new muffler will be (probably not real cheap), but that's money you could have spent on a pro saw instead of modifying a cheaper one... Just something I would have thought about before buying... This is post #82 so it's not like you didn't do a lot of research or didn't have any suggestions on a route to take. Maybe you'll find the non-cat muffler cheap and still be money ahead...

I'm not trying to sound like an a$$. Just posting "food for thought" for the many others who will be researching a saw for the same purposes.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you said before, you had a tight saw budget. I don't know how much a new muffler will be (probably not real cheap), but that's money you could have spent on a pro saw instead of modifying a cheaper one... Just something I would have thought about before buying... This is post #82 so it's not like you didn't do a lot of research or didn't have any suggestions on a route to take. Maybe you'll find the non-cat muffler cheap and still be money ahead...

I'm not trying to sound like an a$$. Just posting "food for thought" for the many others who will be researching a saw for the same purposes.

He would have modded the pro saw too...net zero on the cost difference. Let the guy enjoy a new hobby..:buttkick:

I looked the numbers up on my muffler and I do in fact have the cat muffler. So I will be purchasing a non-cat muffler in a week or so...

I'm no expert and I could be wrong, but forget the muffler mod and just use the saw. These guys that say you got to change this and that are just power freaks- it's their hobby. I'm sure the saw has enough power out of the box. No offense you said at first the saw was out of your budget but now you're going to spend maybe $50 on a muffler. Take the $50 and put it toward a helmet and chaps.

Yeah, I was trying to hide as much of the money as possible from the wifey so I didn't want to spend too much on the saw. I can swing the $25 for the non-cat muffler no problemo.

I think your confused though. The 359 is very much a pro quality saw. My dealer made it very clear to me that while the 359 is classified as a landowner saw on the Husky webpage, it is very much a pro class saw just like any of the other Husky pro saws. I guess the big thing that makes a saw a pro saw or not is if it is not a clambshell design with a plastic crank case, which this one is not. It's got the magnesium case, 3 piece connecting rods, and many other pro features. It's a classy machine for sure!

Country, and just so it's known, I don't see any benefits the MS361 Stihl has over the 359 - or at least enough to justify the $125 price difference I would have had to pay. Care to share why you think the 361 is worth the $125 extra to you?

Airecon,

I am a power freak who loves to tinker with engines so to me, half the fun is changing it to suit my needs. I never leave anything stock - it's just no fun! lol

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Congrats

Country, and just so it's known, I don't see any benefits the MS361 Stihl has over the 359 - or at least enough to justify the $125 price difference I would have had to pay. Care to share why you think the 361 is worth the $125 extra to you?

Airecon,

I am a power freak who loves to tinker with engines so to me, half the fun is changing it to suit my needs. I never leave anything stock - it's just no fun! lol

Don't worry about the brand warriors, the 359 has been and will continue to be a very quality saw with a great reputation, and the non-cat muffler will make a difference. One of the top modders on this site TWolf has gone over this several times in detail. Swap out the muffler and have fun with your new saw....................then maybe a muffler mod and then..........

I'm no expert and I could be wrong, but forget the muffler mod and just use the saw. These guys that say you got to change this and that are just power freaks- it's their hobby. I'm sure the saw has enough power out of the box. No offense you said at first the saw was out of your budget but now you're going to spend maybe $50 on a muffler. Take the $50 and put it toward a helmet and chaps.

That was funny, thanks for the laugh!

Congrats on the new saw. I think you made a great choice. As much as I like it, I also agree that there's no way a MS361 is worth $125 more.

Thanks guys! I think this will make for a darn fine saw. I can't wait to get started on the mods...

Country, and just so it's known, I don't see any benefits the MS361 Stihl has over the 359 - or at least enough to justify the $125 price difference I would have had to pay. Care to share why you think the 361 is worth the $125 extra to you? :
Hey, I'm not trying to say you bought a bad saw. I'm glad you got a good deal on it and I'm sure it will serve you well for a long time.

As far as the MS361 compared to the 359.... I would say the power to weight difference and the company's designating one a pro saw and the other a farm/ranch. For me personally, I'd pay a little more for a Stihl over a Husky too, but that's just me. Also to be fair, the difference in price isn't quite as much as you said. I just bought my 361 and I shopped prices with my local dealers. The prices were pretty much the same. If I break it down to what I payed for just my saw, 18" bar and chain, it's $575. So that's $100 difference. Then with my other point of you now buying a non-CAT muffler (the 361 already comes with a non-Cat muff) you at $75 to $50 differance...

Again, I'm not trying to put you down at all. So I hope you don't take it that way. You asked the question, so I tried to answer. Glad you got a good saw and are happy with it. Have fun cutting and be safe.

Airecon,

You done good SM. If you'd of bought the 361 you'd of wanted too muffler mod it to wake it up some anyways. Your 359 will cut with the 361 all day long. Enjoy.

Hey, I'm not trying to say you bought a bad saw. I'm glad you got a good deal on it and I'm sure it will serve you well for a long time.

As far as the MS361 compared to the 359.... I would say the power to weight difference and the company's designating one a pro saw and the other a farm/ranch. For me personally, I'd pay a little more for a Stihl over a Husky too, but that's just me. Also to be fair, the difference in price isn't quite as much as you said. I just bought my 361 and I shopped prices with my local dealers. The prices were pretty much the same. If I break it down to what I payed for just my saw, 18" bar and chain, it's $575. So that's $100 difference. Then with my other point of you now buying a non-CAT muffler (the 361 already comes with a non-Cat muff) you at $75 to $50 differance...

Again, I'm not trying to put you down at all. So I hope you don't take it that way. You asked the question, so I tried to answer. Glad you got a good saw and are happy with it. Have fun cutting and be safe.

Not apples to apples. Ihave the 20" bar on my Husky which would make the Stihl even more than what you quoted.

Also, the pro designation is the only difference, they are both made as pro saws. Your Stihl doesn't offer anything the my Husky doesn't. There isn't anything about the MS361 that makes it any more of a pro saw then the 359. So if paying extra because it says Pro is worth it to you then great. It's not to me though!

I would say it's safe to say that I bought just as much of a machine with my 359 as you did with your MS361. I just didn't pay extra for the name on my saw.

You done good SM. If you'd of bought the 361 you'd of wanted too muffler mod it to wake it up some anyways. Your 359 will cut with the 361 all day long. Enjoy.

Thanks. You are very right too, if I had purchased the MS361 I would had to have modded it as well. I don't like leaving things stock. lol :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back