Need a lighter weight compromise saw for tornado damage.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom w

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post, need some recommendations. Had a tornado twist off or drop about 20 trees, not to mention some home damage. Mostly hardwoods a few at least 30 inches.

I have been using an old Stihl 028 that I weighed today at 17 lbs. I'm 60 in good shape, but 17 lbs. Is just too much for me to work with all day.

I would like some recommendations for a lighter more powerful saw with a 20 inch bar. I realize it will be marginal for big stuff, but don't want a large 70cc saw.
Thanks in advance.

Go to some of your local dealers be it Stihl, Husky, Dolmar or Echo and try out some saws. Pick the one that best fits your needs. 50 to 60cc would be my quess as to what you would want.

New person

Tom, first off welcome to the site. Many good and knowledgeable people here that will be happy to help with your questions.

What part of NC? I was stationed in Goldsboro, Ken

About 10 years ago I had tendinitis in both arms and couldn't handle my big saw, was painful, so bought a Husky 346xp, I wanted light weight and power. Still using it and have not wanted or needed a larger saw. Go pick one up and see how it feels...

Last edited:
Pilot

Tom, to answer your question, yes! My dad would cut the wood and I would have to pile it! In answer to your question, no, I was a crew chief on B-52-G for more than 11 years.NC was a great place to live. Great BBQ! Ken

First post, need some recommendations. Had a tornado twist off or drop about 20 trees, not to mention some home damage. Mostly hardwoods a few at least 30 inches.

I have been using an old Stihl 028 that I weighed today at 17 lbs. I'm 60 in good shape, but 17 lbs. Is just too much for me to work with all day.

I would like some recommendations for a lighter more powerful saw with a 20 inch bar. I realize it will be marginal for big stuff, but don't want a large 70cc saw.
Thanks in advance.

You can shave off a pound or so of weight with some modern 50cc saws, and a bit more by using a laminated .325 narrow-kerf bar - but the result will not really fit with a steady diet of 30" hardwood...

I suggest a larger saw with more power, and doing less cutting each day.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there a 50cc saw with enough power in stock form to run a 3/8 chain on a 20" bar? If not, what is a recommendation for a lightweight 60cc saw.

Is there a 50cc saw with enough power in stock form to run a 3/8 chain on a 20" bar? If not, what is a recommendation for a lightweight 60cc saw.

Tom, If there's a 50cc that'll pull a 20" 3/8" it would be a 346xp, but .325 will cut faster. I wouldn't have a problem running 20" on a 346, some guys run 24 and 28 on them :)

The new 555 and 562xp will be out soon, and looks to be the lightest 60cc on the market. Might be worth the wait.

20" bar buried in 30" hardwood? You NEED at least a 60cc saw.

I had my 18" bar buried in 30"+ oak and it did just fine. And that was with that crap low kickback chain.
For cleanup duties with just a few 30" trees it should be fine. It's not like he'll be cutting 30" trees all day every day.

50cc with 20" 3/8 goes to the 5100/5105. I prefer the 346, but the 5100 pulls 3/8 better. For a 60cc, see if you can find a MS361. If not, a 359/357 is your best bet.

Take a 13lb PHO, add a 20"bar and chain, some mix and bar oil and presto a 17lb saw. Or real close. REJ2

My thought exactly. I'd have to get my 359 on the scale, but it runs pretty darn close to that when "all up"

Last edited:
Back