Need a new jug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am I correct the 044 jug pictured needs replacing? If so, what's the best course to take with a 10mm wrist pin? Will it work to get a used jug and a new 10mm piston? I gather it's pretty hard to find aftermarket new assemblies with the 10mm pin.
Also, this saw is a 044C. There is a gizmo that attaches to the piston and connects to a bellows in the airbox that connects to the carb. Will the saw run OK without the bellows mechanism - or should I just start parting out the saw before putting more money into it?

I'm not saying you should :monkey:..... but if it is something truly rare and you can't find a replacement.......I've seen worse that ran just fine.... yes with a little spitback, but ran okay none the less. :cheers:

I'd like to say just get a new jug and piston..... but I'm not sure about this "bellows" thing??? Got any pic's??

I want a new jug

sports.jpg

Wasn't there a 044 with a automatic choke out fot a short time??? Maybe that's what the OP is talking about? 044C

most of the available aftermarket assemblies are for the 046's anyways, they bolt right up they're just 2mm larger. at work i've redone probably three or four 044's and a eight + 046's and so far i haven't had any issues with them yet (tho maybe i have just been lucky). I havnt seen the automatic choke yet, but if it was working and you didnt mind it, dont bother with it. Slap the new p&c kit on her and put her back into working condition. :)

Yuk!!!

The 044c has an automatic choke, the bellows connects to the impulse line with a tee. You could change it over to an none auto choke carb.

My mom used to make us eat autochokes... I hated them...
same with eggplant!

If I want egg plant, I'll have a veggie omelet!

10mm vs 12mm

someone also said that a 12m jug won't work well on a 10mm as the ring ends are located differently....

best check that.

does anyone have a picture of this setup?

First, my apologies for mentioning a gizmo connecting to the piston - I meant cylinder. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

The pics show
1. the bellows assembly and the attachment to the carb
2. the box that attaches to the cylinder and where the hose from the bellows connects (fitting visible at right edge)
3. the cylinder with box removed, showing hole in cylinder
4. the same hole continued to the base of the cylinder
5. the cutout in the crankcase

I have no particular desire to preserve the automatic choke. If anyone out there has changed over to a none-auto arrangement, I'd appreciate details on what's involved.

Thanks for the input.

Looks like you could just use a new 10mm 044 piston and cylinder. You will need to get a standard carb or the parts for the linkages to hook up the choke properly but shouldnt be too hard even if you have to make the rods for the choke.

Back