Need a new saw...help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Plains_Sis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a chainsaw. I have been borrowing my dad's "Eager Beaver" and I hate that thing.
I have about 20 40 year old Austrian Pines that need felled and cut to different lengths.
I also need to cut up different sized trees (felled and in piles) for fire wood.
I would also like to cut and gather firewood from neighbors ranches.

I don't have a large budget for the saw...I would cap it at $300.

Advice on brands and models would be appreciated very much.

I need a chainsaw. I have been borrowing my dad's "Eager Beaver" and I hate that thing.
I have about 20 40 year old Austrian Pines that need felled and cut to different lengths.
I also need to cut up different sized trees (felled and in piles) for fire wood.
I would also like to cut and gather firewood from neighbors ranches.

I don't have a large budget for the saw...I would cap it at $300.

Advice on brands and models would be appreciated very much.
This is the best for your money. But you have to be quick. Have 8 more hours on eBay. They go close to 500.00 new. So the price you see there would be great. Good luck.
I own one and is a great saw. My is 64cc.
Makita 18 in. 50cc Gas Farm/Ranch Chainsaw DCS5121
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-18-i...157835?hash=item1c7ef657cb:g:vCYAAOSwax5YwVeA

I don't make living cutting wood but love my Echo cs-400 ($299) and Echo cs-490 ($349). Do a muffler mod and retune and they will work well if your not making your living at it.

300 is a price point that if you are patient, you can find a good saw. For example, I got a 346xp NE for exactly 300 in December. MS260s and 026s are available for that price as well with a little searching and waiting. Dolkitas are also nice from my little experience but I have only run them infrequently and never owned one. Husqvarna 350s are pretty well regarded for a non pro saw and those can be had for 200 with some diligence and patience.

Echo 490s are on ebay nearly all the time with free shipping 300.00 or a little less i really like mine but would have bought the maruyama if it was around then.

High plains,

Someone had mentioned the Ms 361 rebuilt on the trading post. I am the one selling them, I have 2. I also have another Ms 260 for sale. But I am not here to sell you one of my saws. I would be more than happy to send you pics and videos of them running if you p.m me with your email, but I wanted to give you my take.

I read through all the advice given from the other members. It's all sound advice, definitely. Now, coming from a guy who has tech'd at a stihl shop, and owns a tree, sawmill, firewood and logging company, my 2 cents is you got to ask yourself what your limitations are for more than just operating.

I have had a lot of saws come in to me to get looked at that customers bought of cl, and I think they get really excited about the low price when it's posted. The most they say they did was fire the saw up and rev it for a few seconds, then handed over the money and thought they scored. When they put the saw to the wood, I mean really to the wood, like for a half hour cutting or a full morning, or a full tank of fuel; that's when the great deal shows its colors. Most times, it's just some simple things, but sometimes, it's a saw that had pretty weak compression to begin with, or worst off, it was faked by putting a little oil in the cylinder and letting it build up some compression, etc.... long story short, you can get a great saw and score a good deal on cl, but if you don't check it out really good, you can end up spending some serious money chasing your tail on a "deal" of a pro saw, like 372 or something. He cost of those parts woukd shock you if it needed something major.

So, I would say, if you are mechanically handy, by all means, go check em out on cl, or even eBay for that matter, and get a nice pro model. Check em over thoroughly for stripped holes, loose mufflers, taped up Or jb welded handles cases, etc... and run it (with good fuel) for a little bit until it warms up.

Even if it was one of the saws I am selling here and elsewhere. A rebuilt saw can have screws come loose, and or a muffler loosen. It may or may not need some fine finish adjustments over time, or over the final break in. It is the way it is. And mine are gone over top to bottom, and tested. But only one tank of fuel. I am very thorough, but occasionally a thread that felt good and tight on assembly can loosen up after running a while, and need a tap or something.

If you aren't someone who likes to tinker, and has tools and some good solid basic knowledge, or aren't afraid to post a question here for some answers.. I would go get a brand new saw. Preferably from a dealership with a sound, nice rep that you hit it off with. They will be more than willing to do their best to keep you happy with the saw you bought, especially from them.

I know the Stihl Ms 250 is a really nice, handle most all of what you wrote about homeowner saw with some grunt. It's 299 at the shop in my area, and I know that price is going up. That's a great deal for that saw. And most stihl reps will set you up with some free 2 stroke, and even some good leather gloves.

Anyway, my long winded, 2 cents. Sorry.

you could build a husky 372, stihl 440 or ms361 for less than $300 from hudzl/farmertec. arbor pro --ect-- but you need to be good with tools--

there are a few 341/361s around for that used -- a lot of second hand echo timber wolfs and sometimes even a new one for about that much on flea-bay--

others have suggested some nice saws -- like that stor branded dolmar 5105 -- that is probably the most saw you can get for $329 new-- although sometimes a new timber wolf can be had for about the same coin-- someone just mentioned echo was having a 20% off sale --

since a 590 is about $400 --20% off is $320 -- that is a lot of saw for $320!!!!

quite a few great saws for around $300 ---

Latest posts

Back