Need a new saw ... opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_bud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, sad news. Was volunteering at our public range cutting brush, small trees and coming home the tailgate flopped open. Saw, gear, everything .... out the back. Some lucky ducker had Christmas in October. And i lost a carbureted sthil 261 with MM and a new 20" bar.

That size / weight / power level is good for my needs. i just cut 8-10 cord a year of firewood. i really don't think i want a much heavier saw ... I'm a geezer. The saw sits for months, but it has to fire up reliably.

So, what saws in that class are as good or better? My prior saw was a husky 55 that ran good for years, but the plastic parts disintegrated and it can't hold itself together.

Is the "c" version 261 better than the old? Is the lighter v2 261 "cheapened" with fragile parts?

Thanks for the input!

I like the CM version better. I run all husqvarna autotunes and love them. I really like how the Mtronic,autotune saws run. 550 or 261. Jim

Are you looking for new, used, basket case to repair? Being a "geezer" myself, that's how I look at saws, also.

NEW - Stihl MS 271
Used - MS 290 (Ebay around $250)
Basket case - 021 (Ebay)

Hobo

I have a new version 261 with the m-tronic carb. It's an awesome saw. Nice and light, good power (more powerful than an 026 or 260), and starts and idles like a champ. I recently switched to a 16" .325 bar, but it'd pull a 16" 3/8 setup with the bar buried in oak no problem.

Hi, sad news. Was volunteering at our public range cutting brush, small trees and coming home the tailgate flopped open. Saw, gear, everything .... out the back. Some lucky ducker had Christmas in October. And i lost a carbureted sthil 261 with MM and a new 20" bar.

That size / weight / power level is good for my needs. i just cut 8-10 cord a year of firewood. i really don't think i want a much heavier saw ... I'm a geezer. The saw sits for months, but it has to fire up reliably.

So, what saws in that class are as good or better? My prior saw was a husky 55 that ran good for years, but the plastic parts disintegrated and it can't hold itself together.

Is the "c" version 261 better than the old? Is the lighter v2 261 "cheapened" with fragile parts?

Thanks for the input!
Being that "you are volunteering at you local public range" I might be wrong but it sounds like you live in a small tight community. Local road ot a highway did it fall? It might find it way back to you if the word is put out there? Aaahh im probably wrong some schmuck picked it up and said yippy and wont return it.

Are you looking for new, used, basket case to repair? Being a "geezer" myself, that's how I look at saws, also.

NEW - Stihl MS 271
Used - MS 290 (Ebay around $250)
Basket case - 021 (Ebay)

Hobo

Looking for new or used but not beat on. If that makes sense.

Oh, crazy thing the sales person said.

I told him i wanted a 20" bar and the rapid cut chain.

He looked at me and said " I can't sell it with that chain, it's illegal " but he could sell me it as an extra chain. And he did give a 10% discount on the chain.

Anyone else hear this line of hoey?

He looked at me and said " I can't sell it with that chain, it's illegal " but he could sell me it as an extra chain. And he did give a 10% discount on the chain.

Could be possible. Manufacturers must equip the saws with certain safety features. Same reason a dealer can't remove the limiter tabs for better carb tuning. Makes no sense but it is law.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Could be possible. Manufacturers must equip the saws with certain safety features. Same reason a dealer can't remove the limiter tabs for better carb tuning. Makes no sense but it is law.

You say "could be possible". What we need is a dealer to comment with the facts. Not trying to be rude, just would like to hear facts.

I bought a 261 with standard carb, 20" .325 bar/chain and it came with semi chisel safety chain and was told the same thing. Under a certain cc they're still considered consumer or homeowner saws or something. Well, a year after that I decided I wanted an M tronic, tried selling the one I had but ended up using it towards trade in. I ordered it with a 16" 3/8 bar/chain and just assumed it would come with the same chain although it was through a different dealer this time. I was very pleased when I picked it up because it came with chisel chain, although still with the extra safety raker. What impressed me was that they did this without asking me, and the 661 I ordered with a 36" bar came with a full length scabbard and RS chain as well.

You say "could be possible". What we need is a dealer to comment with the facts. Not trying to be rude, just would like to hear facts.
I agree. It sounds ridiculous but you know the government. I'm curious to get the facts from a dealer also.

I bought a 261 with standard carb, 20" .325 bar/chain and it came with semi chisel safety chain and was told the same thing. Under a certain cc they're still considered consumer or homeowner saws or something. Well, a year after that I decided I wanted an M tronic, tried selling the one I had but ended up using it towards trade in. I ordered it with a 16" 3/8 bar/chain and just assumed it would come with the same chain although it was through a different dealer this time. I was very pleased when I picked it up because it came with chisel chain, although still with the extra safety raker. What impressed me was that they did this without asking me, and the 661 I ordered with a 36" bar came with a full length scabbard and RS chain as well.
I was wondering if it had anything to do with model or size of the saw. My smaller saws all came with safety chain but my 661 was ordered with stihl rs yellow chain.

Back