Need a pic of oil pump drive gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Butcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, new poster here.

I need some help here. I took my Stihl 025 apart and the drive gear (and arm) has come up missing. I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and lined up the 3 most likely suspects, ages from 6 to 10, and each of them swears they had nothing to do with the heist. If I had a picture of the gear one of them might know where it is.....

What happened was the oil pump failed on about the 4th tank of a new saw. I took everything apart and it turns out to be the pump. So I box it up to take back to the dealer and can't find the #%#$ drive gear. Since it is purple with a shiny little arm attached to it I suspect one of my darling helpers moved it somewhere but I need a picture to show them. Well actually I don't, I could tear down my 039 or the 66 but would rather not have to do that. I have literally rearranged that side of my shop looking for this gear, so I suspect it was carried off somewhere else...

Anyway, thanks for reading this long winded post. If someone has a pic I'd appreciate it so I can show it to my kids and then maybe one of them will remember running off with it somewhere.

WB

Go onto Ebay and look under "stihl 025" or "stihl oiler".

Don't discourage your kids from coming into the shop!!! Encourage them to participate with you, explain how to fix things, and tolerate their incredibly short attention span, because they will remember more than you can imagine. You only have this opportunity in life once.

Peter

test

Is this the piece you're talking about? This off a 460.

Purple?

For whatever reason, that arm is actually described as a spring.

112.jpg

wow, thanks a lot for the pic Smith! I printed it out and showed it to my kids and they found it in about 5 minutes! It was in a different corner so I suspect foul play but all's well that ends well! Oh, you guys are correct, mine was white and not purple. I would have bet money mine was purple though, this getting old thing is kinda tough sometimes!

Sure they get into stuff which sometimes causes me frustration and sometimes costs me money, but I figure every $12 spent now for flashlights that are missing parts, or missing sockets from a rack, or vanished screwdriver bits, is money that I won't have to spend bailing them out of jail with. Plus, since we are now working on go karts and bicycles when a wrench isn't where it is supposed to be we stop working, so my tools are not wandering off so much anymore.

Ray, thanks for the parts book! I'm sure it is going to come in handy sooner or later. I'm actually a certified master mechanic and I worked at a Stihl dealership for a while way back in the olden days, so eventually when this saw starts getting old and stuff starts wearing out I'll be using it for certain.

Of course, if this part hadn't taken a stroll I wouldn't have found this interesting forum, so I'm kinda glad it did!

Again, thanks to all!

P.S. also thought I'd add- IMHO, if you have shop air the best way to remove the clutch is with an impact, as everyone here knows, just make sure you have it set to turn clockwise. Just give it a couple light hits on the trigger, but you'll have the clutch off before you'd have the sparkplug out using the rope trick. If you do use rope, tie some knots into it. I saw some references to clutch removal here and these were not mentioned.

Latest posts

Back