Need a recommendation for a medium climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an MS201 tc for climbing and I'm interested in getting a saw to handle slightly larger diameter wood where the 201 bogs down. I had been using an 028 Super in the tree for that purpose but it got trashed beyond repair and now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not married to Stihl, but I am more familiar with them. There's a used Husqy 372 Xp for sale at my local saw shop but that's probably overkill?

Thanks!

A day late. 372 is alot to monkey with. The venerable MS362 is even a little much. Guy handed me up his 290 the other day and it was nice and light for the power.
Used to run Husky 357's but wouldn't recommend them.

Hard to kill a 028s.. how bad did it get it? Pics of the aftermath? If you could handle the weight of the 028 climbing you have a million nice options, but a 026, 260,261 are right in there.

Since everyone made this a FS thread I'll mention the Dolmar 510 I have for sale in the trading post. Serious bang for the buck.

@twinstaged

It got it pretty bad but amazingly when I took it to my saw guy it turned out that all the damage was to the handle assembly so he replaced that and the saw still works. I had, very smoothly, driven off with it sitting on the trailer tongue and lost it in traffic. It got dragged underneath the car following me and it looked so bad when I picked it up I couldn't even bring myself to look again for days. But ultimately it was ok!

Still looking for something a little more compact for some medium in tree cutting. I'll research some of these suggestions. Thanks everyone!

I'd take a 40cc / ~ 3hp saw.

Dolmar 421
Husqvarna 543
Stihl 241
etc.

"It got dragged underneath the car following me "

HOLY CRAP, forget the saw at that point lol. I would hate to know what it did or even imagine what it could of done to the car behind you, that in most circumstances would of handed you healthy bill for damages. If they didn't I would go and buy the nicest tree saw on the market because you saved a ton.

Hi everyone,

I have an MS201 tc for climbing and I'm interested in getting a saw to handle slightly larger diameter wood where the 201 bogs down. I had been using an 028 Super in the tree for that purpose but it got trashed beyond repair and now I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not married to Stihl, but I am more familiar with them. There's a used Husqy 372 Xp for sale at my local saw shop but that's probably overkill?

Thanks!
Have your saw modded. Muff mod timing advance and limiters or look into a echo 355t and mod that.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
The older oh26 ported is a awesome in tree rear handle saw. Lots or rpm. Not too much torque to rip your arms off or pull you out of your saddle

Latest posts

Back