Need Advice on Damaged Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Special bonus points are better than normal bonus points, especially if I can pick them up on the short bus!!! PM me your address, and I will be right over!!!:sword:

You guys are amazing - a home owner asks for help on some damaged trees and you get into a debate on how much mulch to use! From the pictures, I don't see much bark to staple, so I stand by my original suggestion of cleaning up the rough edges. Some of the splits appear to be more serious than just surface wounds, and I suggest removing those limbs completely if that's the case. Water deeply, saturate the entire root area (jam the hose down into the ground around the ball), then let the soil get almost dry before watering again. Misting the foilage will certainly help also.

The OP has been asked a couple of questions, to which we have not heard a response. I don't see anything wrong with the pros talking amongst themselves until the OP returns.

most of the talk going on would be of interest to the home owner or others. if you dont like it, dont read it and dont comment on it, unless you are bringing something constructive to the table

I didn't see Rtom's comments as a critism, more of an observation.
Homeowners come here to ask questions and get free advise. The arborists come to help them out, but I think they stay because it give them a chance to have their advice "peer reviewed". These debates are, more or less, part of the peer review.
I know these debates have changed many of my ideas about trees, and my ideas of people too.
One thing to remember is the tone of a post can often be misunderstood. If you think of every post as if it were posted with positive intentions, you will usually be right. There are a few trolls out there, but they pretty much stay away from the homeowner section, and if they come here they get chewed up and spit out pretty fast.
Now crawl back under your bridge, after you over mulch your customers trees.:laugh:

listen here Billy Goat, don't walk over my bridge or I'll have you for lunch

It would be awful boring and alot less informative if we didn't get into these debates/peer reviews

I think the debate on mulch is of direct relation to the home owners trees and Rtom45's first sentence a critism of those in the debate, though no offense taken.

Rtom45, you been drinking too much Railbender Ale? or worst yet Presque Isle Bay water? :cheers:

Gentlemen:
My comment was to point out that there is lots of room on this board for debate, we don't need to stray from the home owner's request for help. Begin a new topic and debate the use of mulch there. I will bet the home owner doesn't give a damn whether 2" of mulch is better than 4".
PS: my beer of choice is Fosters, and the beaches here have been closed for several days so I haven't been drinking from the Lake!

Mike Barcaskey said:
and the debate continues, just about another subject :clap:
'
OK, here's a new one:

"Some of the splits appear to be more serious than just surface wounds, and I suggest removing those limbs completely if that's the case."

Mr. Rtom, could you please share your criteria for branch removal? How deep in the bark does the crack have to be, before you would cut it out?

Just wondering...:popcorn:

well it's been 5 hours and he hasn't shown so I'll keep it going.

cracks in tree limbs.............
I have other criteria to consider before how deep they are,
size of the limb and consequence of failure,
other stresses to the tree,
other current pruning that is needed,
species of tree.

please, your thoughts

Red Maple Tree Update...

Unfortunately, even though I "Press and Sealed" all of the tree wounds, the damaged tree is looking really bad. All of the leaves have changed color and are wilting and/or falling off. I am 99% sure we are going to lose it.

The other two trees are looking great... hardly any leaf color change or wilting of the leaves. I guess for this time of year, if two of the three tree make it, I shoukl be happy. If only we would have monitored the moving of the last tree more closely, it may have had a chance too?

I'll keep you posted....

Latest posts

Back