Need help deciding on a saw. MS660 VS MS461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishGuy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am new here and am looking to upgrade my Stihl MS362. I do tree work on the side and i use quite a bit of firewood in the winter. I am tossing and turning trying to decide which saw to get. I like the 461, it seems very light, nice and practical. I like the 660, it is badass and cool and all things manly. Since it will be my "only saw" for a while, i am just worried about getting worn out with a 660 all day. I have test cut with a 460 and a 660 and i really like both, I'm just nitpicking trying to decide. Thanks all.
Adam

660 or you will wonder what if, if you get the 461. The weight isn't that much different with fuel, oil, and bar and chain.

My favorite saw for 20" wood is a 660 3/4 wrap full comp with an 8-pin and 24" bar. You have to mod the muffler on those 660's.

If weight is a huge factor get the 461. ... or wait for 661???

If you are able to get by with a 362 go for the 461 as you likely dont need a 660. My take everywhere saw is an 044 with an 026 backup. Like said above unless you are in 5 foot trees alot you wont need the 660. You would be able to use a 660 but its overkill for the small stuff. If you get a job where you need a 660 let the job buy the saw.

The 461 is a nice looking saw and seems to handle well. That being said I have never ran one, but have ran a 660 and own a 460 and can't say enough good things about it. I always seem to pick up my 460 and leave my 395xp sitting there. I have spent many days carrying my husky around and it wears on you after a while. But the 660 is a little bit lighter than the 395 so I think if were me I would to with the 660 so i was never wondering what a bigger saw would be like

Even the 461 is more than me and my chicken legs would want as my only saw. If you don't spend much time in the 30"++ wood i'd go for the lighter option.

I'd save weight and $$ and sell the 362 and buy the Jred 2172 in the auction and never look back.

Last edited:
Really I'd save weight and cash and go with the 441

I would go 461 over the 660. The 441 will get a little better mileage but it's pretty much the same weight as the 461. If you want an electronic carb then go 441 by all means.

Last edited:
I would go with the 461....I have a 460 and love it....I very rarely grab the 066
Up to a 25"bar the 460 is a powerhouse and on occasion when you want to run a 32"or 36"bar the 461 won't get er done Quite as good as the 660, but it will get it done.. (JMO for what it's worth?)

If you will be running a 25" bar most of the time: 461

If you will be running a 32" bar most of the time: 660

Smaller bar, 461; Larger bar, 660.

Best general idea I can give. That is how I look at it when I am heading out for the day.

Hey all,
I am new here and am looking to upgrade my Stihl MS362. I do tree work on the side and i use quite a bit of firewood in the winter. I am tossing and turning trying to decide which saw to get. I like the 461, it seems very light, nice and practical. I like the 660, it is badass and cool and all things manly. Since it will be my "only saw" for a while, i am just worried about getting worn out with a 660 all day. I have test cut with a 460 and a 660 and i really like both, I'm just nitpicking trying to decide. Thanks all.
Adam

I have both the 460 gets used the most runs a 25 inch bar easy excellent saw regards alan.

If you are able to get by with a 362 go for the 461 as you likely dont need a 660. My take everywhere saw is an 044 with an 026 backup. Like said above unless you are in 5 foot trees alot you wont need the 660. You would be able to use a 660 but its overkill for the small stuff. If you get a job where you need a 660 let the job buy the saw.

That is probably the best advise

Yup 1 more vote for the 461, it has a bunch of torque and will do most things the 660 will. And if you find you want a bit more power later on get the 461 ported.

I would go 461 over the 660. The 441 will get a little better mileage but it's pretty much the same weight as the 461. If you want an electronic carb then go 441 by all means.

Or if you want vastly better air filtration, much better anti-vibration/comfort, and a saw that will always be in tune on it's own. That, and the easiest starting saw ever. :rock:

A 441C will have much more torque than the OP's 362, yet retain a "zippy" personality. Fantastic work saw.

If you're just "assing around" with some tree work on the side ..and NO..serious BIG jobs ahead...

The MS461 is all you need...IMHO....(I can borrow one...but my old back can't handle it for long)

As for cutting firewood...I just don't know what you're thinking...?? - (I'll just stick with my 026 & 036..thank you..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

2 pages and no one has said it......just get both! I have used all of the saws mentioned.(660,460 and 441) I prefer the 460 over them all for general felling and bucking. Don't get me wrong the 660 is awesome but if you don't need that much then why? As for the 441 some love them and some hate them. I am sorta in the middle, it was just one of those saws that didn't impress me nor did it depress me. :chainsaw:

Well I have a 7901 and a 066 and I grab the 5100 most it does 75% of the work I need...I would keep the 362 and buy a nice used bigger saw!

Latest posts

Back