Need Help Estimating Bids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree; nothing wrong with that though.

"The purpose was to remove the Weather Load, and give the little old lady peace of mind."

Peace of mind is a reasonable goal, but without reduction to go with the cleaning, you may have increased loading.

You'll have to explain that to me.

As the tree gets older you are able to remove less and less living wood. In old trees I try to only remove hazard, dying, and self mutilating lumber apart from the deadwood. How does removing dead weight from living timber create more loading? That seems contrary to the laws of physics.

How does removing dead weight from living timber create more loading? That seems contrary to the laws of physics.
Lower and middle branches, living and dead, have mass. When the wind blows, the ends of the branches move. They move less, and break less, when the mass in the lower and middle branches dampens the movement. that's why liontailing is bad (among other reasons).

With an open grown mature siberian elm this is a bigger deal than, say, an oak with good forks. I'm not saying deadwooding is bad. I am saying that you should sell endweight reduction also on damage-prone trees like that. Let the little old lady know that the tree is reasonably safe for the long run, not just tomorrow.

Lower and middle branches, living and dead, have mass. When the wind blows, the ends of the branches move. They move less, and break less, when the mass in the lower and middle branches dampens the movement. that's why liontailing is bad (among other reasons).

With an open grown mature siberian elm this is a bigger deal than, say, an oak with good forks. I'm not saying deadwooding is bad. I am saying that you should sell endweight reduction also on damage-prone trees like that. Let the little old lady know that the tree is reasonably safe for the long run, not just tomorrow.

Okay. I understand the lion-tailing: branch turns into a kite. Makes sense. Thanks.

Okay. I understand the lion-tailing: branch turns into a kite. Makes sense. Thanks.

Does the endweight reduction make sense? It is harder climbing.

Isn't carpentry fun? And if you were a lousy self-boss at that job, how will being your own tree guy go any better? or is that too personal? :msp_unsure:

o and jeff be nice; u dont knwo it all...

Does the endweight reduction make sense? It is harder climbing.

Isn't carpentry fun? And if you were a lousy self-boss at that job, how will being your own tree guy go any better? or is that too personal? :msp_unsure:

o and jeff be nice; u dont knwo it all...

Not a lousy self boss at all. 2008 was a FANTASTIC year. Thought I had finally made it, but my market BOMBED after the election. 50 year old companies went under; companies that did million dollar remodels went under, and people decided that they didn't HAVE to have that bathroom remodeled, they didn't have to have that room addition done. My trade is selective, in that you don't have to have a carpenter work on your house and currently cutthroat brutal. My hope is that I can make arboriculture, something I passionately enjoy, into a profitable revenue stream, because, correct me if I'm wrong, tree work is Service Work, and the Service Industry has work. And if it doesn't work out that way, at least I will have all the equipment and know-how to be more productive in my hobby.

Especially having been mentored by such an extensive, international group of consumate professionals as I have found here :)

estimating

do some math and figure out what you have to make/hr, balance with the going rate for tree work. It sounds like you don't have anything. low ball away.
If your not willing to go into debt to further your business/hobby, go work for somebody. Carrying debt is all part of being in business and has great tax advantages.
get the proper insurance, liability, WC and your ISA cert. or all this will ever be is a hobby. charge hobby prices.

Latest posts

Back