need help with husky choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The truth is told. Good comment...even if you are a Yankee. Actually, my two redneck brothers in SC found out recently that our "Southern" heritage goes back only 4 generations. Before then....Connecticut. They about died. You have to know my brothers...:)

litefoot

Having traveled in the South extensively and with many, wonderful friends in Alabama, other than the accent, there is little difference between a genuine "Swamp Yankee", and a "Good ol' Boy".

People from the other parts of this state think the NE CT Swamp Yankee is an embarrassment, if they admit to our existence at all. We tend to think of them like mosquitoes, annoying disease carrying parasites, that won't go away until you kill 'em.

By the way you just may have some Swamp Yankee blood if;
http://www.nesales.com/swampyankee.htm

Enjoy
Take Care

I am with romeo for sure, that Home"lite" is anything but light so he is used to wagging that monster around a 372 will feel like driving a sand rail with the power difference between them.

A 359 does have a metal crankcase etc so I call it a pro saw but thats just me?

Kansas

Firewood saw??? :confused:

That there my friend is a Pro fallers saw 'round these parts...

The 359 will be more than enough saw for what the OP is looking for...

Gary

...........until you get to big trees. The stock 359 (except for the non-cat muffler) that I've got just doesn't like those trees that are very much bigger than 20". The 372 works great for the big stuff but I wouldn't want it to be my only saw. I need a smaller saw to do the limbing.

Maybe a ported and muffler modded 359 is what he needs.

My brothers looking for a new husky , he's finally retiring the homelite XL12 , just put in a outdoor wood burner and needs to start cutting firewood again. He wants more of a good pro saw that's going to last and easier to rebuild . I was thinking at first of the 455 rancher but he wants at least one step up from a homeowner saw , so that leads me to the 359 more HP and lighter . But the 359 isn't considered a pro saw either ( not XP ) Would he be impressed with 359 considering he was using the old homelite and is the engine easy to rebuild like the better saws ???. The next step I would think would be very expensive, to go up to the 357 XP !!!! He wants something that will handle a 20'' bar and I'm sure its going to be his only saw . I'm not sure what to tell him to buy except the 359 . Need ideas .

my father has a 455 rancher, and i must say it will handle anything i have seen for firewood cutting. he loves it and has been cutting for over 30 years and its his new favorite. he also has a 3something from the 80's, that one is a professional model i believe and there great too. its a great saw with plenty of power. the rancher would be worth looking at. but heck, why not go pro:cheers: .

OK , the 359 is looking good so far but I will price the 357 and 372 XP'S , To me they seem like alot of saw for the small stuff, thats why I bought a 346xp and I love it for 75% of my cutting , its really hard to have only one saw but I think maybe the 359 is it !!!

i love the 357xp but with the prices i have been quoted around here,for another $20-30,i'm taking the 372xp every time.

My thoughts exactly, and I love my 357xp. I am sure glad I got a good deal on mine 2 yrs ago via site sponsor as the prices now listed are very high.(for this homeowner with a small stove, for a pro, sure thing) If you have that much to spend and don't have larger saws get a 372xp if you can.

Last edited:
I must say, time is money, how much time do you want to spend cutting firewood? You can cut much faster with the bigger saw, even though a smaller one will get the job done. I would rather spend a little more money & get things done in less time; you can make more money, but you're not going to be able to buy more time. I don't like spend all day to get a decent pile of firewood, life is too short and there are many other things to do with your time. That being said, only your brother can know how much time he wants to spend cutting wood, Outdoor wood burners (at least the ones I have seen around here) burn a lot of wood; the good news is they can also take larger pieces. If I were having to cut for an OWB, I would go with the biggest saw I could afford (within reason) in order to get the job done quickly; remember bigger wood means more wood quicker!

Latest posts

Back