Need Help with Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Neighbor wants me to take this tree can anyone tell me what it is? The leaves are very shiney. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic's

Treebark.jpg

treeleaves.jpg

How about black gum, Nyssa sylvatica? Alternate simple, shiny leaves? Lots of almost horizontal branching, lower branches tending downwards?
If that's correct, the wood is pretty dense and good fuel but the devil to split.

Never heard of a Black Gum Would they grow in up NY?

Just looked it up grows as far north as Maine........ looks like it

Last edited:
Black gum's native range extends up into parts of NY. Also, it is often planted as an ornamental since it has spectacular fall color.

I would also lean toward buckeye/horsechestnut. The bark is not right, but the 5 leaves are. Is that a bloom in the pic? A little better pic of the leaves/flower would be a big help.

Last edited:
Black gum or buckeye? Trax, you can easily eliminate one of these two by taking a look at the leaves. Black gum has simple alternate leaves, buckeye leaves are compound and opposite.

I don't think I have every burned Buckeye. Living in Ohio it may be a crime like removing that tag from your mattress. Anyone ever burn buckeye? How does it split? Smell?

Don't know about splitting or smelling, but chimneysweeponline's chart gives it a very low MBTU/cord rating: 12.1. Willow is rated at 14.2!

I'm gonna say thats black gum which ani.t really gum but popular.
If it is don't bother tryin to spit it cause you'll be wasting your time.

Latest posts

Back